Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone bake balls?

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    And wouldn't you know that since I saw the one Al made I can't find a dehydrator the same shape? They're all square or rectangular that I can find locally. The quest continues.

walmart.com has circle ones for like 39.... I found one local for $20 lol
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by dougb View Post
    I've seen pics of other homemade rejuvenators, but this is the first I've seen using a dehydrator. This is great! Heat control and a fan built in, and you can pick these up pretty cheap on Craigslist.

How often do you rotate the ball while you are doing this?

As for the original post, a lot of people have had bad experiences in the oven with balls cracking. My recommendation is to give it a hot water bath if you can't afford/don't have a pro shop with a rejuvenator.
    If it's sweating alot I'll check it about every 15-20 mins wipe it off and turn it. if it's going slow coming out about every 30 min.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 13

Ive heard horror stories about baking in home ovens. ive never tried a pro shop rejuvenator, i did however tried stormbowler13's ball spa method this week and it deffinatly pulled some oil out.the dehydrator idea sounds promising.

Chats: 5

I just use the old fashioned "leave the ball in a covered bucket in the back seat of the truck during the hottest days of the summer" method.

Worked great for my original Black Widow.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Okay, I just got one for $20 at a garage sale. Unfortunately, the bucket I bought (like yours) sits squarely on the vents, so I need to find something with a wider mouth.

Before I do that, I have one more question: if you don't sand the ball down before hand to open the pores, do you need to polish the ball after you do this anyway?

Thanks

Bowler

Well, I had a chance to try out bowl1820's homemade ball oven, and it's a success!

I bought a used food dehydrator on Craigslist for $20. This thing puts out a steady stream of low heat and a fan circulates the air.

Then I lined a planter with tinfoil to insulate it. No cost for the foil or the planter, which I already had.

I tested it first on a garbage ball sitting in my basement, and then did the real thing.

It's very simple: put the ball on the dehydrator tray, put the foil-lined planter over it, and let it sit for a half hour. When I come back and pull it out, the ball is covered with oil. Check out the pics if you don't believe me.

The nice thing is the ball gets warm, but not too hot to touch.

Then I simply spray it down with a simple green/rubbing alcohol mix, wipe it with a clean towel, rotate it, and put it back in for another half hour. Everything's sweated out by then.

The true test came when I took my T-Road Pearl to the lanes, and it had it's old reaction back.

You can't beat this for $20!

Pics here: http://s554.photobucket.com/albums/j...20ball%20oven/

Thanks bowl1820!!!

Doug
    Last edited by dougb; 11-17-2009 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Link to pics didn't work
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and winner of a weekly ball contest!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by dougb View Post
    Okay, I just got one for $20 at a garage sale. Unfortunately, the bucket I bought (like yours) sits squarely on the vents, so I need to find something with a wider mouth.

Before I do that, I have one more question: if you don't sand the ball down before hand to open the pores, do you need to polish the ball after you do this anyway?

Thanks
    Not if the surface is still the way you want it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I used the soaking method every 15 games on my go-to ball, 130-135* water seems to make the oil pour out of the ball, its a sanded columbia300 resurgence that seems to soak up oil like a sponge!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2878

Do not bake balls at home in an oven, ever!!! You are not able to consistently rotate the ball so the heat is dispersed evenly over the entire surface, plus it is very hard to regulate. If you get the temperature above 140 degrees, you begin to remove plasticizer from the ball, which hardens the resin. If you want to get oil out of the ball at home, stick with the hot water method. If you need further assistance getting oil from your ball, consult a pro shop with the necessary equipment to do it correctly without damaging your bowling ball. Good luck!!!
    James Goulding
    Radical Regional Staff
    Moore's Pro Shop
    Driller / Consultant

"The Maine Bowler" blog: www.jgoulding.wordpress.com

Bowler

living in st.petersburg florida , you should NEVER leave or put your ball in the trunk to rejuvinate your ball. at our pro shop they have balls on display that are actually blown apart from the heat. i do the dawn and hot water wash about once a month especially with oily conditions on the morning leagues that i bowl.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast