Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone bake balls?

The dishwasher works well too. Use the water heater selection and add your dishwasher soap like you would washing dishes. DO NOT USE THE HEATED DRY SELECTION. It will cause your ball to get very hot and draw more oil from the ball. Trust me but other than that it works good. On the oven I use the WARM setting. Keeps the ball around 115-120 degrees. About every ten minutes take the ball out and towel dry and put back. Do about 5 times and it should get all the oil out. Then use hot water and soap to make the ball squeeky clean. Use a timer so you dont forget the ball.....
    Last edited by Zoomie; 01-28-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Forgot something

That reminds me, my No-Mercy ball is over do for a bake out.

It’s a good idea to get your ball baked out once in awhile. They get loaded up with alley oil. Pro shops have an oven that they bake them out in for a fee. You can also bake them out yourself if you’re a DIY kinda folk. All you need to do is get a cheap pie plate, put it in your oven and put your ball on it thumb hole down so it doesn’t roll around, then set your oven on it’s lowest setting for an hour or two. Just keep an eye on it and don’t allow it to get too hot. You’ll be surprised at how much oil comes out of it if you’ve been bowling with it for awhile without baking it out.

Putting your ball out in your garage for a week on a really hot summer week also brings out a load of oil.

Chats: 0

I put mine in front of my gas firplace and keep wiping the surface with a mixture of dawn dish soap and water, you won't believe the oil that comes out. Clean your equipment asap after you bowl with a good commercial product. You can also soak your ball in hot water with dawn dish detergent.

Bowler

Chats: 3

There is a great debate about baking the ball or the hot water bath. Here is my take on the subject.

The coverstock of a modern bowling ball is designed to be porous. The lane oil is absorbed into the cover thus allowing more friction between the ball and the lane.

In order to get the oil back out of the ball something with a lesser viscosity will need to penetrate the balls porosity and displace the oil. This is why I advocate the hot water bath. Heat alone will not displace the oil. Yes, it will enlarge the balls pores and capillary action will pull some of the oil out, but heat alone will not displace the oil. Hot water with a little dishwashing soap will both open the balls pores and penetrate the surface. As we all know oil will float on water, thus the water will displace the oil.

Once the ball is removed from the soak, it needs to be wiped off and set out and the water that has penetrated the ball allowed to dry. I leave mine out for 24 hours or so before I use them.

The Revivor system works better than just heat alone for 2 reasons. First the ball is spinning. This will create centrifugal force which will tend to move the oil out of the ball and it is being continuously wiped, at least the one I saw working. Coupled with a regulated heat source it is much better than simply baking the ball. I have never compared the Revivor results against the hot water bath.
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Despite the numerous posts here and advice on the web to NOT bake a ball in your home oven, it's something I need to find out for myself. I have an old Shock Trauma that I bought off Craigslist at the beginning of this season. I've put about 100 games on it plus whatever it had when I first bought it. It's definitely due for a good oil extraction. Haven't even resurfaced it. I'm gonna try the home bake method and post pics and results. Worst case, the ball gets damaged and I'm out less than $30. It's a guinea pig.

I have ovened mine once and it pulled a crap load of oil out of the ball. I prefer the hot water myself. I just fill the sink up half full with hot water and Dawn soap. About 7 mins and then flip the ball over to get full coverage. My dad bakes his Hammer Black Widow and it makes his ball break at least 5-7 boards more. It does work but you have to be careful not to forget it. Set a timer just in case...

Is it better to let the oven heat up to temperature then put the ball in? Or leave the ball in as the oven heats up?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_W View Post
    Is it better to let the oven heat up to temperature then put the ball in? Or leave the ball in as the oven heats up?
    Not having done it myself, I'd think you'd put it in has the oven as it heats up. putting it in after it reach's temp. would be too quick a temperature change.

I'll have to take a picture of a ball in the proshop here. One of the guys here tried it a couple of weeks ago. blowed a hole in it the size of my fist.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    I'll have to take a picture of a ball in the proshop here. One of the guys here tried it a couple of weeks ago. blowed a hole in it the size of my fist.
    Sounds awesome lol

Chats: 1

I always let the pro shop bake mine, I figure I spend to much money on a ball to take a chance of screwing it up.
    Good luck and good bowling
    Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123