Thread: Venom Shock Video and Review

Default Venom Shock Video and Review

Description: The Venom Shock is the third installment of the Venom series and again placed in the lower mid-price range. The Venom Shock coverstock has the new Turmoil MFS, which is a modified version of the Turmoil HFS coverstock on the recently released Covert Revolt. For the core, MOTIV again used the Gear Core from the previous two Venom’s and the much older GT-1.

Reaction: In a one liner the Venom Shock is very clean through the front part of the lane and provides a consistent controlled downlane motion. I have found myself throwing the Venom Shock when playing straighter angles, but when my more predictable pieces do not seem to respond fast enough downlane. The shape it provides is between a mild slower response piece and something mild that is longer and has a faster response. My style doesn’t quite allow me to throw this ball on the fresh or heavier patterns at the box surface, but that is not exactly the intention of this piece, however altering the surface to 2000 allowed it match up very well. Believe it or not the Venom Shock is a benchmark ball for me, it allows me to get straighter and still maintain a great shape downlane.

Comparisons: For me, the Venom Shock plays when the Tribal is either too long or too angular downlane. It also plays well when my Covert Revolt pushes me in on the pattern too fast, as the Venom Shock is cleaner. I have identical patterns on the Covert Revolt and Venom Shock and although the Covert Revolt is much stronger in the front and middle part of the lane they both provide continuation and similar shapes in the back of the lane. I also think because the box surface is less on the Venom Shock compared to the Covert Revolt and because I tend to play closer to the friction with the Venom Shock, it does respond faster downlane, therefore I see more backend than with the Venom Shock. As I mentioned, this will be a benchmark ball for me. The Venom Strike was not though, as it was too smooth downlane and the Venom Toxin was too long to be considered a benchmark piece. I guess for me the Venom Shock has the best attributes of both of the first two Venom’s combined.

Summary: For being one of MOTIV’s smoother motion pieces it still provides a lot of continuation, but still maintains a predictable motion. With that being said this will be making the bag for USBC’s this year in Reno.

Mike Magolan
    MOTIV/Turbo/Boom Apparel Staff Member

Chats: 204

I likes it!!

Never owned Motiv, but have had my eye on a handful.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I recently got the Cruel Intent a few weeks ago, and love it. Much more versatile than I though it was going to be. Now, I want the Covert Revolt. I just need to hit the lottery to pay for the divorce that will occur if I bring home "just one more *&^%$#@! bowling ball!" LOL
    Current THS Anvilane average 198. High Game: 279 Series: 749
    Current bag: Brunswick Wicked Siege, Hammer Arson Hybrid, Brunswick LT-48, Motiv Sniper

Chats: 221

I just ordered 4 of these . 2 for me and 1 each for my son and daughter