Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BowlingBoards.com Southern California Tour: Inaugural Season

Ringer
    Chats: 35

My league is still going on, since its my first league I don't have a previous average (obviously).

This is week 27 of 33, but if they do submit our averages April 15th regardless of whether the league has finished then I'll have something listed by then. If not, my league uses leaguesecretary.com not to mention the alley my league is at posts the rosters on their website so you can easily ascertain my current average there as well.

Chats: 204

Okay...there's been some major confusion in less than 24 hours.

1) It's a series, 1st Saturday of the month, IN PERSON, just like what we did in Temecula...except we don't crown a champ until the end of the year. It's just a mini-travel-league, non sanctioned.

2) We're not eliminating one house because it's in a "bad area". Don't get me wrong...I'm kinda ticked that the stupid random number generator picked San Bernadino and Yucca Valley...which were like as FAR on the outskirts of the area as possible....but whatever. I'm from Detroit...where every bowling alley is in a bad area. It cant be worse than Detroit. There was one off 8-mile that I was going to try (cuz it was by my friend's house in Hazel Park) but the night before we were going to go there, there was a shooting there...so we passed.

IF...you and ZDawg....BOTH want to "re-do" the list....then we can go to a list where we each pick 3 houses. But we're not eliminating one for this reason and one for another reason, etc... Pretty soon Mike will just be eliminating houses he's afraid might have a reverse block oiling pattern...and then we'll never find a place to bowl at.

3) All members are eligible...but they have to show up IN PERSON. You can't "mail in" results. This site is a cheater's paradise...people would just be mailing in 700-800 series without even bowling. Remember Bill F? We'll have guys claiming to be former PBA legends and using unsanctioned scores or no-tap scores...no way...thats just silly. You want the glory...show up and take it.

4) Averages will START based on your highest USBC average....but will after the 2nd week be based on your first 2 weeks of Tour play. Just like any league. Zdawg and I don't even have 3 years of averages.

5) 90% of 250!!? NNTBZZZZT!! Stop cheating!! I know you're scared after getting trounced in the invitational...but 90% of 250 is ABSURD!! Thats 20 pins higher than even the HIGHEST commonly used. 90% of 220 is perfectly acceptable. If you average over 198 (.9 x 220)....you shouldn't NEED handicap!! Everyone 198 and over bowls scratch. I'd be open to 90% of 230 (207)....but if the goal is to just make it a scratch league...then whats the point of me and zdawg participating??

6) As for bowling "blind"....I don't really care much...I just think if it's me, you, and zdawg...there's gonna be 1 event or so where "something comes up"...and while that should be perfectly 'okay'...we dont want to make the attendence so mandatory that it makes people not wanna participate....we also want to encourage participation by saying, "it's okay to miss", but you bowl blind at 90% of your average for that series at that location. But I'm open to other ideas on this.

Okay MWhite and ZDawg (and other SoCal potential entrants)...we're in the early planning stages....there's still 3 weeks before the proposed start date for the 9-month Mini-Travel League Spectacular. Are we going to be able to agree on locations? Averages? Handicap? Or will these negotiations take us into April?? We DID manage to put together a fairly error-free Invitational...so fans are optimistic...

....but after the fallout from the invitational, Aslan's victory in question, MWhite's accusations of oil pattern manipulation...will future events just be too difficult to arrange?? Only time will tell. Stay Tuned!! Same BAT Time, same BAT channel!!
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I don't think I'm going to have the time to do it this year but if there's a second round, I think it sounds fun! And a good excuse to try out different alleys - I have about 20 (no exaggeration) within 20 miles of me.

For different places, would pictures of the games count? Or maybe an "eyewitness"/bowling buddy to verify?

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    I don't think I'm going to have the time to do it this year but if there's a second round, I think it sounds fun! And a good excuse to try out different alleys - I have about 20 (no exaggeration) within 20 miles of me.

For different places, would pictures of the games count? Or maybe an "eyewitness"/bowling buddy to verify?
    Still having problems editing posts... replied before your most recent update, Aslan. SoCal is a little far to travel to bowl

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post

As much as I'd love to have mc runner participate...you're gonna have to move to California...sorry buddy. I'm sure Connecticut is cool....I've been out that way before...far too many seafood restaurants...but other than that very nice. But on THIS site...we simply cannot use mailed in averages/scores. Cheaters paradise!

Don't get me wrong...and this is one issue Iceman and I are in lock step on....we SHOULD be able to trust people...and people SHOULDN'T cheat in bowling.... But year after year....bowlers sandbag...internet bowlers tell fish stories...again, and again, and again. Whether cash is on the line, a trophy, a towel, even just "pride"...there's always gonna be a handful of people with such low self worth...that they NEED that small victory to justify their otherwise rather useless existences.

Plus....we're all a bit befuddled by Iceman and Jamau's bowling dominence...and there's a theory that bowling alleys in Missouri are tilted or uneven or something...maybe only 30ft long...not sure...but until that gets ironed out...gotta keep this thing 'in person'.

But hey, move out to Cali. Far less snow. Very mild winters. And really cool bowlers...like me and ZDawg.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I think Aslan is just afraid of competition
    All that needs to be done to keep people from cheating is have a rule that only score that are uploaded to league secretary or bowl.com counts.
    Here is the sheet from my friday night league where it states each game
    http://lss.bowl.com/leagueStandingSh...ownloadServlet
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:
    Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Brunswick Mastermind Genisu, Roto Grip Asylum and Ebonite Maxim
    Final Book Averages for Fall:192 Current averages in Summer: PBA 182, Tuesday 202, Thursday 205

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by tccstudent View Post
    I think Aslan is just afraid of competition
    All that needs to be done to keep people from cheating is have a rule that only score that are uploaded to league secretary or bowl.com counts.
    Here is the sheet from my friday night league where it states each game
    http://lss.bowl.com/leagueStandingSh...ownloadServlet
    Only problem is that not all centers are listed on that. I have found more listed at Leaguesecretary.com, but then again, not all update weekly.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Then some sheet dont actually show the scores you shot that week just the season highs my tuesday league is like that.
    http://www.leaguesecretary.com/bowli...standings.aspx
    But both of my leagues that are uploaded are uploaded the next day
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:
    Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Brunswick Mastermind Genisu, Roto Grip Asylum and Ebonite Maxim
    Final Book Averages for Fall:192 Current averages in Summer: PBA 182, Tuesday 202, Thursday 205

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Only problem is that not all centers are listed on that. I have found more listed at Leaguesecretary.com, but then again, not all update weekly.
    Ding Ding Ding!!

A LOT of leagues use LeagueSecretary...but many do not. Many leagues, you don't know the results until you get the score sheet the following week and they don't update the averages, awards, etc... until the end of the season in Bowl.com.

It WOULD be awesome if:

A) Everyone bowled in a sanctioned league.
    B) Scores were entered each day into Bowl.com.
    C) We could start a "virtual league" for BB members based on our real results.

But there's literally no way to do that and verify authenticity. At the Invitational, all 3 of us were there and it was videotaped...so no way to play with the numbers. And even then we had a "mini controversy" because I had a ball jump out of the gutter and hit the 10-pin...but we left it 1 / rather than have the desk mark it as a - and reset an entire rack for the 2nd shot. It didn't affect the score (coming off an open frame) and the place was super busy...so we just left it. But then the question gets raised..."Would you have carried the 10-pin had it been there?" I think so...based on the pin action...but it's unclear.

So imagine a "virtual league" where you got a guy like MWhite...who bowls a 127. Worst game in 3 years. You think he's submitting that??! Mikes a stand-up guy...as are many of the high level bowlers on this site...but even Iceman who prides himself on character....even HE would have to at least "think twice" when "Mr. 300" suddenly throws a 98 "when it counts".

I think there are ways to do it. My teammate does an online virtual league for fun, he takes pics of his signed scoresheet then sends them in. I'll ask him about it tomorrow - I think they are even on leaguesecretary.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast