Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: BowlingBoards.com Southern California Tour: Inaugural Season

Where is Iceman, by the way?

Chats: 506

please explain to me how its fair if a 160 bow hits his avg every game that would mean roughly 210-215 a game if a 210 bowl only shoots a 198 he would only get i think 9 pins? putting him at 207 so the better bowler really didnt win but if the 160 avg bowler has 30 pins and shots a 185 190 160 + 90 he shoots a 625 and if the 210 avg shoots 190 185 190 + 27 shoots a 592 with handicap its who was really the better bowler? if theres no cap the better bowler prob wont win so 30 pins a game is more then enough and the 160 avg bowler has the advantage cuz if he shoots amazing that day and shots a 610 he now has a 700 how is that far for the guy who shots a 610 and hits his avg but cuz he only gets 12-15 pins he loses so lets not call people dumb when you are sadly mistaken and 99% of high avg bowlers hate handicap its a way to get more people to do tournaments and leagues now saying that 30 pins would be more then enough

also the checking in thing would not work for me as i still rock my flip phone and dont have internet on it
    Last edited by noeymc; 03-25-2014 at 11:35 PM.
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Ringer
    Chats: 35

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    if theres no cap the better bowler prob wont win
    Well I think the whole problem here is philosophical, you're saying the "better bowler" should win - MOST of the folks on this board have been bowling for years or even decades, I haven't even been bowling 6 months yet the whole idea of the handicap is to even the playing field for those of us that are less experienced, or at least that's the way I see it.

Maybe the answer is to have divisions based on ranges of averages like they do in some tournaments? Or even better, a scratch division for the 99% of high average bowlers that hate handicap, and a handicap division for those of us that aren't high average bowlers yet.
    Last edited by zdawg; 03-25-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zdawg View Post
    Well I think the whole problem here is philosophical, you're saying the "better bowler" should win - MOST of the folks on this board have been bowling for years or even decades, I haven't even been bowling 6 months yet the whole idea of the handicap is to even the playing field for those of us that are less experienced, or at least that's the way I see it.

Maybe the answer is to have divisions based on ranges of averages like they do in some tournaments? Or even better, a scratch division for the 99% of high average bowlers that hate handicap, and a handicap division for those of us that aren't high average bowlers yet.
    i am not a 200 avg bowler and i hate handicap i am competitive i want to beat someone straight up means nothing if i beat u cuz i got free pins

if u avg 160 and get 30 pins u bowled a 190 how is that not ok
    Stroker
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook

5 pages to read - way too much. Can't even cliff note that much.

Bottom line I think it is a great idea and handled right we could have participation anywhere - just need someone in charge in each location, i.e. California, Michigan, Connecticut, Ohio, etc. I could definitely get some participation here in Michigan and get some new members on this forum as well. My leagues are ending soon and I am not going to join any summer leagues so once a month on a Saturday would be awesome just to keep in shape for the fall season. But if you have 1 responsible person and scoresheets printed from the alley it shouldn't be an issue.

I think 90% from 220 is a given to give everyone a fair chance and not limit it to just high rollers.

The question is how to merge together all the events. i.e. I think having it an "open" tournament would be most beneficial - i.e. you don't have to show up EVERY Saturday. I think people should have to bowl 3 games to qualify and then those that qualify are seeded into the local bracket. Then you end up with a winner in the local bracket. Then maybe that winner bowls 3 more games and all the local winners go into the national bracket to determine the overall winner. So you could have a local winner and a national winner. If the thing took off then you could even morph into singles, scotch doubles, trios and team events.

I know some bowling alley owners around here and summer is slow so they would be interested in doing this. We just make it a requirement that to participate you have to register at bowlingboards.com and get a "competitor number" so that we can keep track of who is participating, etc.

Where is Iceman?

Since there is handicap involved I don't think this was put together to find the best bowler but just to have a fair bowling match. If they wanted best bowler awards then it would be scratch.
    BowlingVids.com -- USBC Tennessee (2204-27181) California (222-32895)

IndexGenie.com -- In The Bag --> Roto Grip Wrecker - Roto Grip Hyper Cell - Storm Polar Ice Hybrid

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by circlecity View Post
    Since there is handicap involved I don't think this was put together to find the best bowler but just to have a fair bowling match. If they wanted best bowler awards then it would be scratch.
    I must say, it DOES seem a bit hypocritical and suspicious that all these "bowling legends" on this site are so afraid of "handicap" and bowling in a different center. It goes back to the Sport condition discussion. So many bowlers...will never join a sport league...never compete in a USBC open...because bowlers have the most fragile egos of any group anywhere. God FORBID....your 217 average doesn't hold up in a tournament!!! Oh NO!! World = ended.

Or maybe....maybe our BBoard "legends" saw what happen to MWhite in the single greatest tournament EVER....the 1st Annual Billy Hardwick Memorial Aslan vs. ZDawg Southern California Invitational...where the "legend"....LOST. And maybe, just maybe....they are putting themselves in that position and thinking, "what if that was ME? What if I actually -gulp- 'lost'? I'd need to be on suicide watch and my family would have to lock up sharp objects!!"

Put up or BLEEP up (not sure if 'shut' gets me an infraction) boyz. Ya want to hide behind your "supposed greatness" and internet superiority...then join Bill F as the greatest internet bowler that ever lived. Meanwhile, us "real life bowlers" will actually show up, and put our legend (or lack there of) to the test. Handicap or not. Home center or not. And at the end of the day....no matter the outcome (although I will probably win)....we can at least say we put our money where our mouth is and weren't afraid.

I personally feel, and it's sort of like a 'pet peeve' of mine, that it's pathetic when a 200+ average bowler never leaves their home center, never joins tournaments, and never challenges themselves with a sport league. In high school, we called guys like that, "gym class All-Americans"...because they were amazing in gym class...but never joined a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I must say, it DOES seem a bit hypocritical and suspicious that all these "bowling legends" on this site are so afraid of "handicap" and bowling in a different center. It goes back to the Sport condition discussion. So many bowlers...will never join a sport league...never compete in a USBC open...because bowlers have the most fragile egos of any group anywhere. God FORBID....your 217 average doesn't hold up in a tournament!!! Oh NO!! World = ended.

Or maybe....maybe our BBoard "legends" saw what happen to MWhite in the single greatest tournament EVER....the 1st Annual Billy Hardwick Memorial Aslan vs. ZDawg Southern California Invitational...where the "legend"....LOST. And maybe, just maybe....they are putting themselves in that position and thinking, "what if that was ME? What if I actually -gulp- 'lost'? I'd need to be on suicide watch and my family would have to lock up sharp objects!!"

Put up or BLEEP up (not sure if 'shut' gets me an infraction) boyz. Ya want to hide behind your "supposed greatness" and internet superiority...then join Bill F as the greatest internet bowler that ever lived. Meanwhile, us "real life bowlers" will actually show up, and put our legend (or lack there of) to the test. Handicap or not. Home center or not. And at the end of the day....no matter the outcome (although I will probably win)....we can at least say we put our money where our mouth is and weren't afraid.

I personally feel, and it's sort of like a 'pet peeve' of mine, that it's pathetic when a 200+ average bowler never leaves their home center, never joins tournaments, and never challenges themselves with a sport league. In high school, we called guys like that, "gym class All-Americans"...because they were amazing in gym class...but never joined a team.
    Who is afraid of handicap? I'm just stating the facts. Beating somebody with handicap doesn't make you a better bowler. What it does it create a bowling match that makes the lesser bowlers have a chance to win. And that is fair in my opinion but to say your better because you beat somebody with the handicap is just nonsense.

If Belmonte gives me 30 pins a game and I beat him does it make me a better bowler? Of course not. So, I'm not sure what your raving about and why you would quote my message that is just stating the facts.

IndexGenie.com -- In The Bag --> Roto Grip Wrecker - Roto Grip Hyper Cell - Storm Polar Ice Hybrid

One of my "pet peeves" are people who give bowling advice that can't keep the ball out of the gutter.

i am not afraid of of loseing one bit nor do i care about handicap over all people get to much handicap and that is my problem to me scratch lets you see who is the better bowler that day when people are getting 40 50 60 pins you are pretty much giving that person a huge advantage by adding extra pressure to the better avg bowler who now has no room for error unlike someone whos getting a lot of pins is alsan afraid of bowling with little to no handicap cuz thats how it seems you would think the champion of the "greatest tournament ever" wouldnt be afraid to bowl with the best with little handicap just saying and i bowl in many different houses i try to find a new one every month so that way i challenge my self part of the reason i bowl bad is cuz i get board with the easy shot i love summer sport shots cuz i am given something hard every week not something where i can line up the same every week
    Stroker

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast