Thread: Going up in ball weight?

Default Going up in ball weight?

I've been bowling with a 13 pound ball for 4 years now and recently I have been wondering if I could increase my carry percentage if I were to go up to a 14lb. What are your thoughts? Is there that much difference between 13 and 14lbs? I'm going to a national tournament in 4 months and need as much carry as I can get to be able to make it. Thanks in advance.
    Proud Member of Bowlingboards.com.Average-166 High Series-613 High Game-256 In The Bag:Storm Lights Out, Storm Optimus, Columbia 300 White Dot.
    Clean Games:10 Tournament Bag: Ebonite Pivot Point, Storm Lights Out, Marvel S and Polar Ice, Hammer Spike.

If you throw the 14lb ball the same speed then going by physics you would be imparting more energy to the pins (more carry? maybe)

When my wife went from 13 to 14 lb equipment it did help her but she was also going from a generic core ball to a 'normal' core ball at the same time.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

What is a "normal core ball?" Are you talking weight block? The pancake weight block is the normal weight block. Everything else is not normal as new weight blocks are developed everyday.

Chats: 506

weight blocks are just made to make sure u get a new spot for the ball to roll on each rotation thus give u hook a pancake weight block will hook on burnt up lanes ive used my plastic ball to bowl a few times with good results

going up in weight will slow your speed down if your throwing around 18 to 20 mph then thats fine. Also if i am not mistaken most bowling company's use geriatric weight blocks in balls that are 13 pounds and under. so going up to 14 pounds would be a good idea but remember you may end up having more hook then you would like with the slower speed and better weight block.
    Last edited by noeymc; 03-25-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by AMF300bowler View Post
    What is a "normal core ball?" Are you talking weight block? The pancake weight block is the normal weight block. Everything else is not normal as new weight blocks are developed everyday.
    No offense intended, but to call a pancake weight block "normal" is almost like referring to a car with a manual transmission as having a standard transmission. It's been a long time since the majority of cars came with manual as standard. Likewise, the majority of bowling ball "models" today have some sort of a dynamic core. Most manufacturers make only one or two with pancake weight blocks.

I believe that what Perrin was referring to is that use the same generic core in all balls under a certain weight. The "normal" core is the one that you see in the cut-away view in the marketing materials.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    No offense intended, but to call a pancake weight block "normal" is almost like referring to a car with a manual transmission as having a standard transmission. It's been a long time since the majority of cars came with manual as standard. Likewise, the majority of bowling ball "models" today have some sort of a dynamic core. Most manufacturers make only one or two with pancake weight blocks.

I believe that what Perrin was referring to is that use the same generic core in all balls under a certain weight. The "normal" core is the one that you see in the cut-away view in the marketing materials.
    Exactly. She was going from a generic lightbulb core found in many different balls (due to weight) to the new 14lb ball that had the marketed core for that ball. In her case a 2Furious with the N.O.S.™ Core
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

In generic terms (not much background given in your original post) I would say yes it is a good idea to go up to a 14 lb ball. Only reason I throw a 16 is that they don't make a 17. If they made a 20 and it was legal I would throw that. I see lighter balls all the time with no carry.

If you are going to a 14lb ball from a 13lb ball I would say you should get a 14lb ball with a symmetric core. An asymmetric core might be too much for you to handle. A symmetric core has a more controllable arc to it. You can find out what would be better for you by asking the employee in a pro shop what ball you have now and what you should get in the 14lb ball as far as surface and symmetric or an asymmetric core. They will have to know if you bowl on a THS pattern or something else.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by sara2117 View Post
    I have been wondering if I could increase my carry percentage if I were to go up to a 14lb. What are your thoughts? Is there that much difference between 13 and 14lbs?
    Yes, Sara it would greatly increase. Imo, the most important move is to a 14# ball. The core, weight block, is more advanced along with better flare and length potential. Let me suggest the Marvel Pearl by Storm. I have one. Yes it is a 14# ball. It hits as hard, as anything, I have owned in the past. Including 16# equipment. I have used this ball 69 games this season, averaging over 220.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.