Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061626364 LastLast

Thread: 1st Annual BowlingBoards.com Virtual Tour!!!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Figures, I send you my pitiful scores at 2:44pm (I thought for sure I was out when I bowled them) and 10 minutes later you want to change the rules.

I haven't done the math but I know my average came way down.

We could have used our entering average each month, but you didn't want to do that.

Now you want to quit changing averages? Seems a little fishy to me.
    I started writing that post right after the last one at about 2:43. I finished at 2:54. Your text is showing up on my phone at 2:47. So yeah, I can see where a reasonable person would "wonder". But like I said...even if we use your absurd scores (65 pins below your average??)...it's hurting VDubtx more than me because I got stuck playing Temecula last week and it was HORRIBLE. So my average would drop 5 pins to your 8 (unoffially, the official spreadsheet is on my home computer and I'm at work). Thats why I said, I'm "open" to letting the averages float during the 3 rounds of the tournament. With you actually participating...there's no way for us to cheat next month.

But think of it this way...lets say we keep them the same and next round...Stormed1 has a health issue and posts that he can't bowl in November. Lets say VDub hasn't bowled yet in November. You beat me...and VDub reports a 112-99-101 = 312 Series. Are you willing to stand by your decision to let the averages float? Becuase IF we decide to let them float...there is ZERO rules to stop VDub from doing that and some would argue he'd be a fool not to.

I just point that out because I want to make sure everyone is TOTALLY COOL with whatever final decision is made. I'm willing to forfeit my 5-pin advantage from this round to ensure there's no funny business going into the finals...but thats just me. If anyone else wants to make a case to let the averages float...and Mudpuppy and ZDawg will buy into it...I'm always willing to be (and often am) over-ruled.

Ringer
    Chats: 35

That is most unfortunate. Right about the time you were posting this, I was bowling. And it wasn't pretty.

I figured I was out.
    Ah man that sucks...for me but good for you

But I learned an important lesson about procrastination, and when I have some time I'll apply that lesson, later, when I have some time

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I started writing that post right after the last one at about 2:43. I finished at 2:54. Your text is showing up on my phone at 2:47. So yeah, I can see where a reasonable person would "wonder". But like I said...even if we use your absurd scores (65 pins below your average??)...it's hurting VDubtx more than me because I got stuck playing Temecula last week and it was HORRIBLE. So my average would drop 5 pins to your 8 (unoffially, the official spreadsheet is on my home computer and I'm at work). Thats why I said, I'm "open" to letting the averages float during the 3 rounds of the tournament. With you actually participating...there's no way for us to cheat next month.
    Well do you turn your scores in to anyone other than yourself?

If not, there is always a way for you to cheat.

What absurd score was 65 below average?

And I don't care if you had a problem with Temecula, you had fair warning about that place.

It sounds like the conditions were similar to when we went there in the past.

Hot, muggy, noisy, flashing masking units, and who knows what kind of oil pattern.

Chats: 204

Well do you turn your scores in to anyone other than yourself?

If not, there is always a way for you to cheat.

What absurd score was 65 below average?

And I don't care if you had a problem with Temecula, you had fair warning about that place.

It sounds like the conditions were similar to when we went there in the past.

Hot, muggy, noisy, flashing masking units, and who knows what kind of oil pattern.
    Okay "Mr. Technical Pants" (watch me get an infraction for "name calling")…YES….I guess if we really wanted to…we could find a way to cheat. ALL FOUR OF US….could find some way. It's the drawback of handicap AND 'virtual'. BUT…with us playing each other…neither of us could "cheat" by just sandbagging…or we'd risk losing.

I suppose YOU could. I mean, given the way I've been bowling…as you know and have seen in person…YOU could shave 30-60 pins off your usual score and probably still beat me. It's "risky"…but a strategy that would pay off against VDubtx.

But like I said…if zdawg and Mudpuppy think adjusting is more fair…I will defer to them. I just think given that more than half the field didn't participate…which I hadn't expected…it introduced a significant cheating possibility I had not planned for. And to be honest…I looked at my game…even though I DIDNT sandbag…and thought, "Is it FAIR that I knew ahead of time on 10/18 that I was bowling against nobody and thus COULD have just rolled a few 90 games?" Now, if I did that…(which I wouldn't out of principle because sandbaggers disgust me)…I have a feeling you would have called me on it BIG TIME…right? But I just thought about it and thought, "Ya know…I don't deserve to reduce my average by 5 pins and get 15 pins (series) of handicap…at THIS stage of the game…when "technically" I had an advantage. I mean, what if subconsciously, knowing the pressure was off…I bowled worse? I tend to bowl "up" to the situation…maybe subconsciously I bowled "down". It just didn't feel right.

Most every game…I intentionally bowled before my opponent. I can't think of ONE month I bowled after knowing what I had to beat. I did that intentionally:
    1) Because I wanted to avoid procrastination issues like ZDawg and Mudpuppy ran into.
    2) Because I didn't WANT to know what I was bowling against. I didn't WANT to have an advantage that nobody else had.

I don't like it. I'd never cheat…but I don't even like it when there's a possibility I could. Did you know that in nearly every single VBT game, I actually took pictures of the scores and asked for printouts? In fantasy football, when I ran the league at work…I immediately switched to a system where all free agent bids were done automatically…no more sending them to me. I didn't want anyone saying I got a guy they asked for because I knew something others didn't know.

The less excuses people have when I defeat them…the better the victory!!
    Last edited by Aslan; 10-31-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

[QUOTE=Aslan;118455]Okay "Mr. Technical Pants" (watch me get an infraction for "name calling")…YES….I guess if we really wanted to…we could find a way to cheat. ALL FOUR OF US….could find some way. It's the drawback of handicap AND 'virtual'. BUT…with us playing each other…neither of us could "cheat" by just sandbagging…or we'd risk losing.

I suppose YOU could. I mean, given the way I've been bowling…as you know and have seen in person…YOU could shave 30-60 pins off your usual score and probably still beat me. It's "risky"…but a strategy that would pay off against VDubtx.

But like I said…if zdawg and Mudpuppy think adjusting is more fair…I will defer to them. I just think given that more than half the field didn't participate…which I hadn't expected…it introduced a significant cheating possibility I had not planned for. And to be honest…I looked at my game…even though I DIDNT sandbag…and thought, "Is it FAIR that I knew ahead of time on 10/18 that I was bowling against nobody and thus COULD have just rolled a few 90 games?" Now, if I did that…(which I wouldn't out of principle because sandbaggers disgust me)…I have a feeling you would have called me on it BIG TIME…right? But I just thought about it and thought, "Ya know…I don't deserve to reduce my average by 5 pins and get 15 pins (series) of handicap…at THIS stage of the game…when "technically" I had an advantage. I mean, what if subconsciously, knowing the pressure was off…I bowled worse? I tend to bowl "up" to the situation…maybe subconsciously I bowled "down". It just didn't feel right.

Most every game…I intentionally bowled before my opponent. I can't think of ONE month I bowled after knowing what I had to beat. I did that intentionally:
    1) Because I wanted to avoid procrastination issues like ZDawg and Mudpuppy ran into.
    2) Because I didn't WANT to know what I was bowling against. I didn't WANT to have an advantage that nobody else had.

I don't like it. I'd never cheat…but I don't even like it when there's a possibility I could. Did you know that in nearly every single VBT game, I actually took pictures of the scores and asked for printouts? In fantasy football, when I ran the league at work…I immediately switched to a system where all free agent bids were done automatically…no more sending them to me. I didn't want anyone saying I got a guy they asked for because I knew something others didn't know.

NOW YOU KNOW WHY ICEMAN DOSEN"T WANT ANY PART OF THIS Tournament!! Even taking pictures anymore, (with photo shop, seeing is not reality). Been to the movies lately, blue screens ect ect.

I knew that cheating might be going on, and the Bible says MIke, Cast not the first stone, unless you have not sinned thy self! I think what the Lord is saying is those that think others might be cheating on bowling scores, might be cheating themselves! ICE don't think anyone is cheating!

I am not saying ANYONE IS Cheating, but who knows, its a honor system, with many questionable X felons that frequent this site!!

That's why I like in person, in your face, bowling tournaments: Like the one coming up June 13 in Plattsburg. Start saving your money for a air ticket to KCI,,,, plenty of time to put away some beer money, for trip: The REAL MEN BOWL ON WOOD IN SMALL TOWNS tournament!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 256

I don't see anywhere in the rules(first post) that you specifically stated what was to happen with averages after September. I do see changes to averages in April through September for the "tour" part of the event.

I think holding averages since we are now in the playoffs would be the best course of action.

If all would have known we weren't bowling against anyone, we could have all sand bagged and bowled 100 games and still won and set ourselves up with a nice lower average into the next round.

I am not like that in any way. No matter what, I go out on the lanes to do my ultimate best that I can each and every game. Regardless if I get beat or not, I know in my mind that I performed to my best ability. Just not in me to lower my game to any other level.

A 97?!?!? Really? Wow. Even in the worst conditions I don't think I could get that low. We're you playing low ball?
    Last edited by vdubtx; 11-01-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post

I am not saying ANYONE IS Cheating, but who knows, its a honor system, with many questionable X felons that frequent this site!!
    Really ICEMAN??? Many questionable X felons??? Your imagination never ceases to amaze me. Lol.
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Virtual Tour and Felons!!

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Really ICEMAN??? Many questionable X felons??? Your imagination never ceases to amaze me. Lol.
    Hey did you know that Aslan, the orchestrator of this un- Virtual tournament, did time for WORD-E-NESS!!! I guess he talked a beautiful young chick to death!!! They are not sure to this day if it was his WORD-E-NESS, or if she was just bored to death listening to his theories, and thoughts on bowling!

Yes he tried to TALK HIS way out of it, in court, but the judged just slapped more time to his sentence! He ,,, was WORDLESS for the first time in his life!!

It was a sad day in Aslan's life, but to keep himself company he still sleeps with a dictionary next to his bed,,,, yes,,, the same one his mother used to read him to sleep with!!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 11-01-2014 at 11:40 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    I don't see anywhere in the rules(first post) that you specifically stated what was to happen with averages after September. I do see changes to averages in April through September for the "tour" part of the event.

I think holding averages since we are now in the playoffs would be the best course of action.

If all would have known we weren't bowling against anyone, we could have all sand bagged and bowled 100 games and still won and set ourselves up with a nice lower average into the next round.

I am not like that in any way. No matter what, I go out on the lanes to do my ultimate best that I can each and every game. Regardless if I get beat or not, I know in my mind that I performed to my best ability. Just not in me to lower my game to any other level.

A 97?!?!? Really? Wow. Even in the worst conditions I don't think I could get that low. We're you playing low ball?
    I shot 244 for my practice game, and the lanes changed significantly after that, after a couple of 180's (that's vs someone getting 50 pins of hdcp) I would need a damn good 3rd game.

So when I started out with 2-4-10, and 2-10, I figured I was out and anything I did wouldn't matter.

All I was trying to do was finish the game, and go home.

The time stamp on my last game was right about the time zdawg posted here, so I had no advance knowledge of his forfeit.
    Last edited by Mike White; 11-01-2014 at 11:49 AM.

I shot 244 for my practice game, and the lanes changed significantly after that, after a couple of 180's (that's vs someone getting 50 pins of hdcp) I would need a damn good 3rd game.

So when I started out with 2-4-10, and 2-10, I figured I was out and anything I did wouldn't matter.

All I was trying to do was finish the game, and go home.

The time stamp on my last game was right about the time zdawg posted here, so I had no advance knowledge of his forfeit.
    2 splits doesn't end a game. Punch out and you still have mid 200's.

Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061626364 LastLast