Page 20 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Annual BowlingBoards.com Virtual Tour!!!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Are you going to fix the incorrectly calculated averages?
    Or are you to busy to do things correctly?
    I'm not going back and re-calculating averages based on "games". In every case, the averages from one league to another were extremely close. Mine I think was the only one that differed significantly from one league to another.

So if a person averaged 192 over 35 games in one league, 194 over 21 games in another league, and 198 over 7 games in a third league...and I assign them a 195 average....is it a matter of National Crisis that their average be changed to 193?

This is why I initially resisted messing with the 0.6 pins of handicap rounding thing. It's a friendly exhibition tour...not the USBC Masters!! If we get THAT precise....then whats next? Inventing some formula that takes into account that a peson gets X pins better each month and thus we need to re-do all the averages from last year because the person is probably 1-2 pins better this year?

I mean for Pete's sake! It's ONE SERIES....it'll be 3 scores....of a total of 24 scores!! Is the difference between a 51 handicap and 52 handicap in April really going to matter? Can a person with a 198 average this season who last year bowled 7 games in a league and had a 199 average say wihtout a shadow of a doubt that the 199 was erroneous?? I mean, if I give someone a 201 average and they say, "whoa....look at my league averages...I'm a 192, 194, 191, 189 bowler and you gave me a 201"...then certainly THATs an issue. But most EVERY average I created that involved more than one previous league...we're talking:

- 173, 173, 178, 180
    - 194, 189
    - 198, 192
    - 184, 186
    - 169, 174, 177

Ya know what....I'll change em. Screw it. I'm sure it's just #2 on the list of stupid things to argue about rather than actually bowling...but I guess if it takes away ONE MORE excuse that MWhite will eventually have (and he WILL have many) as to why he didn't dominate the Tour...then I guess it's worth it. So yes...I'm going to update them right now.

Okay, averages updated to take into account games.

Changes (and they are updated in the official thread, this is just FYI):
    - Aslan 151 to 156 (still gotta verify though because I need to see how many games the one league was)
    - classygranny (same, 176)
    - Mudpuppy 192 to 191
    - MWhite 195 to 193
    - tccstudent (same, 185)
    - Jeral999ok 173 to 175

So...now that that is that...Lets get some SCORES rolling in!!!!

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Okay, averages updated to take into account games.

Changes (and they are updated in the official thread, this is just FYI):
    - Aslan 151 to 156 (still gotta verify though because I need to see how many games the one league was)
    - classygranny (same, 176)
    - Mudpuppy 192 to 191
    - MWhite 195 to 193
    - tccstudent (same, 185)
    - Jeral999ok 173 to 175

If you would just do them right the first time, it wouldn't seem like so much work.

Rule 118 – Averages
    118a. How Determined
    A bowling average is determined by dividing the total number of pins credited to a bowler in one USBC league by the number of games bowled in that league in a season.
    Extra pins or fractions must be disregarded in using averages for handicapping or classification purposes and shall be reduced to a percentage of a pin only for the purpose of deciding individual position standings in a league.

118c
    2. Composite Average: The average of a bowler who bowls in two or more USBC leagues in a season. The average is determined by adding the total pins for all of the leagues and dividing the result by the total number of games bowled in those leagues.

So go back are remove the rounding up.

Ringer
    Chats: 35

Expect mine closer to the deadline for this month, I'm coming off a month of no bowling thanks to a tendon sprain in my bowling forearm. I have two weeks of league left, this Friday and next, so I'll bowl for April after that's done as the arm is still sore and I don't want to go through that again.

Chats: 55

Sorry, just got out of tax season and finding out there is still a world out there including more bowling alleys that are difficult to get to...probably bowl mine the last week of April as I am trying to find something else to do when I travel an hour away for an hour of bowling...gotta be something work related so I can write off the mileage!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Just got out of 3 days of meetings. Back at it in time for the 3 day weekend.

Banned

April Scores
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike White; 04-19-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    April Scores
    I don't quite understand this one. I thought your center was Deer Creek Lanes?

I'm going to have to go check. Either my spreadsheet is wrong or I posted it wrong.

I don't quite understand this one. I thought your center was Deer Creek Lanes?

I'm going to have to go check. Either my spreadsheet is wrong or I posted it wrong.
    Yeah, I think there was a miscommunication. Below it shows that you had the choice of 3 lanes…

California Physical Pairings:
    Bunny vs. MWhite: At Brunswick Deer Creek, Palos Verdes Bowl, or Gardena Bowling Center.

Now, I did receive an email from Bunny suggesting that she might not be able to do the match this month…so it's fine that you bowled solo….but it should have been at either Palos Verdes (too far away), Gardena Bowling Center (even MORE far away), or Deer Creek…which is fairly close to you.

You bowled at Chapparal300, which was my assigned center. ZDawg had the "option" of bowling against me there…but given his center was in San Diego and Chapparal300 is over 90 miles from him…I figured he wouldn't want that option.

I'm not sure how to handle this now. I never made a rule anticipating someone would bowl in the wrong place. Had there been an issue with that center (like I know you might only have Saturdays off and maybe your chosen center doesn't have bowling with the lights on, on Saturdays or something), if it's a valid reason in accordance with the rules, I definitely would re-draw.

For example, tcc and Jeral found out that their chosen center was all "glow bowling" when they wanted to do their match…so they just went to the center that was drawn that was over 45 miles away. Obviously, I didn't expect that and would have happily tried to re-draw them a center that was < 45 miles. But since the center they bowled at was on the list of originally drawn…it was legal…just inconvenient for them.

I'll add all the scores into my spreadsheet, but MudPuppy and the other Review Board members (I think ZDawg and someone else…not Bowl1820 because he didn't want to do it) are going to have to weigh in on what to do about MWhite's scores rolled at the wrong center. And, as input into that determination, I will just state the obvious problem with "just use his scores, no big deal"….is it sets a precedent. From here on out, people just could bowl wherever and claim, "well, MWhite was allowed to do it."

So…hmmmm…committee/review board???

Banned

Yeah, I think there was a miscommunication. Below it shows that you had the choice of 3 lanes…

California Physical Pairings:
    Bunny vs. MWhite: At Brunswick Deer Creek, Palos Verdes Bowl, or Gardena Bowling Center.

Now, I did receive an email from Bunny suggesting that she might not be able to do the match this month…so it's fine that you bowled solo….but it should have been at either Palos Verdes (too far away), Gardena Bowling Center (even MORE far away), or Deer Creek…which is fairly close to you.

You bowled at Chapparal300, which was my assigned center. ZDawg had the "option" of bowling against me there…but given his center was in San Diego and Chapparal300 is over 90 miles from him…I figured he wouldn't want that option.

I'm not sure how to handle this now. I never made a rule anticipating someone would bowl in the wrong place. Had there been an issue with that center (like I know you might only have Saturdays off and maybe your chosen center doesn't have bowling with the lights on, on Saturdays or something), if it's a valid reason in accordance with the rules, I definitely would re-draw.
    I received a text from Bunny indicating she had a (valid) reason for not being able to bowl at Deer Creek.

She sent you a email, and you responded with centers which were even worse (for her situation) than Deer Creek.

So between the two of us, we decided that Chaparral300 was reasonable for both of us.

I don't have a problem with Deer Creek, I've been there once in 2011, and once in 2012.

But to quote you, there is an "advantage" to bowling with another person rather than solo.
    Last edited by Mike White; 04-20-2014 at 01:11 AM.

Page 20 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast