Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coaching High School Teams

Default Coaching High School Teams

I met 2 of the local high school coaches this past weekend - only due to the fact the automatic scoring wasn't working and the kids didn't understand how to keep score. That's another post to comment on.

Anyway, after arriving at the lanes and correcting the computer issues to get the automatic scoring working, I stayed a little while and watched the kids bowl. Some were decent - rolled the ball well, and there were many crankers standing left, throwing right, and jumping out of their shoes - running every shot out and smacking chests like they won the superbowl.

After a few laughs, I walked nearby the 2 coaches from both schools - they were talking about their wives money spending habits and when a kid walked up and asked a question about coming to heavy in the pocket - 1 of them told him to move his mark right and stay smooth. The kid walked away and I watched him go higher and eventually cross over - the coach saw a strike and said good work danny. I almost lost it in laughter.

I walked down to the kid whom asked the coach and told explained it to him about high hits and carry down. He was a young kid, about 17 - rolled the ball well, but didn't understand about moving one bit. He said if i moved that deep with my feet, the ball will swing way right because he's aiming 10 - I asked him to move his mark into 15-18, I can't hit that - I've never done that before. The coach came down and told me to leave his kids alone. They are doing quite well (they were currently 18 - 2 in match play against other schools).

WTF is up with that? Do school coaches get bonus for their teams coming in first place or what? Talk about losing integrity in the game - no wonder there are so many bowlers that can't bowl or don't bowl when the shot is not on 10 board for rights and 5 for lefts. Lefty's are more of a pain to me, they always want to move lanes after 3 games. Wonder why?????? Talk about fixing 80% of the lefty's out there. Squirt some oild outside 5 and watch them flip around like a fish out of water.
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 3

I think they do get bonus'.
    and if they don't, coaching a winning team sure looks good on a resume for a better paying coaching position!
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

In that case, I feel sorry for the kids that don't get to learn the game -
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 3

I bowled varsity all throughout high school, and the skills I learned from my coaches have been valuable to me to this day.
    The way they worked with us, I really don't think a single person went a season without learning and improving.
    The only ones who didn't learn couldn't handle the constructive critisism the coaches gave or some of the silly (but extremely helpful) methods they taught us.
    I had a great experience with my coaches, they volunteered to coach for our YABA sat. morning league too.

For a coach to dismiss a question like that with some half *** answer, sounds like you've got some uncaring coaches. a talented group of kids to have an 18-2 record, but crappy coaches =/
    Last edited by Jord_84; 01-22-2009 at 12:54 PM.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

i think i should get bowling teams put together at the local schools and coach them all hahaha I could have them scoring, thats for sure

after arriving at the lanes and correcting the computer issues to get the automatic scoring working, I stayed a little while and watched the kids bowl. Some were decent - rolled the ball well, and there were many crankers standing left, throwing right, and jumping out of their shoes - running every shot out and smacking chests like they won the superbowl.

Carpet Tiles

Chats: 0

Iceman.I have had the same experience in the Detroit area 3 times.I was practicing each time this happened.
    The coaches came in late every time half the kids where there bowling already.A few kids had decent
    games but most of the boys and girls games looked like they never bowled before.One of the girls asked
    me a question,she wanted help,as I'm helping her along comes the coach and asked me what I was
    doing, and to leave his kids alone.If it did it again he would report me to the school.This was the coming
    from a coach the comes in late and so does the assistant coach.They are dressed like they just got off
    work,they could at least bring extra clothes and change.This looks bad and shows no respect.
    I could go on forever about the state of high school bowling and it's many negatives but I won't.

Future PBA Baller
    Chats: 443

This must happen alot it seems.
    My son has been on the HS bowling team for 3 years and they did well, this year it seemed the coach came in real late for the first few practices, not once did I see him ever give any pointers or even watch his bowlers.
    The way he picks his team is to see who bowls the top scores and the rest are cut. That seems like a plan from the outside but if a coach won't watch the bowlers things can go very wrong.
    If I had the time I know I would make a better coach darn it...
    Arsenal = Hammer JIGSAW{16lbs} Columbia ICON 300 {16lbs}
    Radical Inferno {15lbs}Black Rahno{16lbs}(WWF Raw is War Viz A Ball {14lbs}
    High Game/Series 263/637
    Try (VT) for winning $$fun http://www.virtualtournaments.com/Default.aspx Say 10sixer sent ya Plz..
    What I always say "LUCK IS EARNED"

Chats: 221

A couple of years ago i was asked to work with a kid who was trying to make his high school team. Afte the first day of tryouts he was almost in tears according to his mom. I went to the tryout and got him lined up. The coach was going to pick the team just by how they scored over those 2 days. He knew absolutly nothing about bowling. His was the newest teacher there and as a result was told he had to coach the team. I pointed out if he went by just score he wold leave the top 3 bowlers there off the team. The best bowler that was there was a lefty who during the 3 games i was there left 6 blower 7-10's and 5 flush 6-8's.There was a no thumber who was going to make it that over the 6 games went 268-112-234-259-87-102 but would have made it over the lefty. Conersly I have a guy i drill for who is not a teacher but voulanteered to coach the team his son bowls on and the kids are doing quite well as Greg works with them tirelessly on technique and adjust,emts
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

I'm on a High School Bowling team. I think our team is lucky because we have a coach who has a son in Collegiate Bowling. Well, his son and his son's team takes the sport very serious. His son teaches him stuff our coach never even knew. Our coach brings his son in during practicce to help us improve our shots and better understand the game. Our coach doesn't know as much, but he is an experienced bowler and tries to explain things as best he can.

We need to get people such as Collegiate teams to go around to High School Teams and help them out. It would be If a team around your area as a coach that doesn't know anything, you should try to call a College team and tak them into helping. It'll improve your HS team's bowling alot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast