Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to look for in a house?

Chats: 5

What i look in for a house; clean and well maintained, equipment is not abused, friendly employees at the front desk, decent service and the environment in terms of people and air conditioning. My house is kept cooler than it should be, but i guess its to keep the lanes more consistent. I think the place has good humidity control because 1 day came to the house while it was like 200% humidity outside, got all sweaty from the trip to the entrance from the car and when i got in, it was pretty cool and dry that i stopped sweating almost right away. Usually i prefer one with a shop, but the house didn't have one since there's St. Clair Bowling's Bowler's Shoppe (quite large, excellent staff and a lot of inventory to look at.

in short:
    Good Employers and Service
    Decent equipment and maintenance
    people that are cool and there to have a good time for (recreational/league) bowling
    A/C
    shops, not necessary for a house to have one but would be a bonus though

Chats: 506

i look for family owned where the owner is there i like the old school lanes more
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    AMF the bowling centers have seriously fallen out of favor with regular(league) bowlers since being acquired by Bowl-Less.
    I have noticed this with our AMF house.

While I like the AMF house lanes and approaches, the new owners (in New York City) have ruined the whole experience with there cutting cost, took away half of the league bowlers benefits, and now there is a MAJOR staffing shortage. How can a "SERVICE" oriented company provide this with out any people to do the servicing. As a league bowler you get 2 free games per league (4 games max) per week for practice, and $2 per open game (except Fridays and Saturdays after 5pm, and holidays), and 10% off of food, while those are nice others houses offer Free popcorn for turkeys, free round of soda if your team all strike during league play.

They also have targeted "GLOW" and open bowling thinking there is more money in this, but there is not, they are running off there league players, several I know will not come back, raised food prices, the counter ignores calls from the lanes during league play opting instead to talk to open player. I had to call the counter from my cell phone to get someone to answer and we have to run up there to get any help. The manager is a NONE bowler person, so there is no interest in keeping leaguer happy (in my option).

I know its still a business, but they are doing everything to run off their best customers, the leaguers. They hire incompetent help, when they get someone who wants to work there, they limit their hours.

Just bad business practices as far as I can see.

Jeral

Jerry 'Jeral999ok' - USBC #8738-16145 - Current Arsenal 14lbs: 1st: Brunswick Mastermind Genius, Aura (org), Hammer Purple Taboo, Blue/Silver Taboo, Brunswick Maxxed Out, Brunswick Meanstreak Brawler, 900 Global Hook Pearl, Spare: Dv8 Zombie - Current Averages: 187 in Sheridan, 182 Traveling League.

Chats: 204

Preaching to the choir about AMF.

- One time I went in to an AMF center near where I work…there were 2 guys working there and one was gone in the back and the guy at the counter didn't know how to work the computer to sell me time. So I waited 20 minutes for the guy that knew how to work the computer to come back up front.

- Recently I wanted league information so I could have a team join a summer league…sent two emails to the AMF website (which is supposed to take the emails and send them to the center in your area…never heard back from any of the 3 AMF centers. Heard back within 2 days from both the private centers!!

Way to go Bowlmor! You've taken the centers with the greatest history and made jokes out of them!! Mabe you should buy the PBA Tour and make them wear clown outfits!

Chats: 0

I like plenty of parking. 4 entrances are nice to have too. And adequate air conditioning is a must. If only the bar would add a few more beer selections like Newcastle and Molson.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

I usually look at a number of things when deciding where I'm going to bowl. First off, the Brunswick XL, though is probably the best place near me, has a ridiculous price tag to it. $20 per lane per hour on weekdays and $26 per lane per hour on weekends. There is no per game charge. So the only times I bowl there are when they have specials in the evenings after 8 pm or 9 pm. The other two places have better pricing, but the lanes aren't as maintained as the Brunswick. I usually also look at the condition of the house bowling balls as stated in another post. That can give you a good idea about the ball returns. Lastly, I talk with the staff. The best lanes are the ones where the staff are really into helping the customers, either by giving you an extra 10 minutes because you have 2 frames left on a timed bowling session, or ones that go out of there way to learn your name so that the next time you come in they remember you and greet you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12