Thread: Small Suggestion

My son says I coach better than I bowl. I agree, I know what I am supposed to do but I screw up anyway.

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by jaws1945 View Post
    My son says I coach better than I bowl. I agree, I know what I am supposed to do but I screw up anyway.

Maybe because you know what you need to do, and you are a great coach, you put too much pressure on yourself, thus causing you to make mistakes.

I would say take it easy, and have fun. Be a great coach, a listener, and let the pupils become the coach. Let them teach you from what you have taught them. It will give your son a sense of pride in showing you what he knows.

Chris
    Go Broncos!

Chats: 0

I had a discussion with a friend of mine about this subject. I struggle with my own game. He has commented about my passion for the game and level of knowledge, which he says is what makes me a good coach. He went on to say that if you look at almost any sport, it s not necessarily the top athletes that go on to make outstanding coaches.

His theory is that it is our own struggles that make us good coaches. In our struggle we have had to learn more of the little things that go into the sport/game. The "natural" athlete often cannot tell some one else how they do what they do. They have not had to dissect the actions.

I am not 100% certain I agree with his line of thought, but he does have some strong points. I also agree that because of our knowledge of the sport, as a coach, we can have higher expectations and put extra pressure on ourselves.
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

I think maybe you have a point there. I have worked with my brother on occasion and he is a Senior PBA member, but will still ask me to watch him and look for things he may not be executing properly.

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

better coaches usually my not bowl that great ....I have the same problem where I feel im a better coach than a bowler. Mostly because when were coaching we can stand back and see more of whats going on than when were throwing the ball
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by onefrombills View Post
    better coaches usually my not bowl that great ....I have the same problem where I feel im a better coach than a bowler. Mostly because when were coaching we can stand back and see more of whats going on than when were throwing the ball

I think your right Brian. I think when you step back you can see a lot of things. Great post
    Go Broncos!