Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to Save the PBA Tour

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    Agree 100%! He's a great asset for bowling. His online presence and fan interaction is really good/helping as well.
    He was really nice when we met him briefly a few months ago. Got a great vibe/energy from him.

I wonder if he realizes how many people he's inspired.
    Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums
    14's Deadly Aim, First Blood, HyRoad Pearl, Tropical Breeze, Rising Star, Maxim Spare

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Belmonte has inspired a generation of kids (and a lot of adults) to get more into bowling.
    Ughhhhhh....

I'm not even gonna bother. I'll wait till 2-handed bowling takes over before.....well, that'll never happen so I don't need to finish the sentence.

Bowling USED to have great sponsorships. Nowadays they really don't have that much
    I said they sustain on endorsements, not get rich by them. As you pointed out, if a pro is living solely on what he nets from bowling...only 10-20 bowlers could afford it.

The endorsements make up a LOT of the difference. They pay for all the equipment, they usually will pay the tournament entry fees, and usually still give the bowler a "small" salary. It's not enough to live on like in the good ole days...but when it gets added to the tour winnings...then usually you can make a decent living.

Think Happy Gilmore or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by circlecity View Post
    If Belmo and Rash traded punches that would help.. Might have actually gotten on sports center.
    There lies the problem. The PBA's new owners thought having PDW behave like a complete *** and having Belmo and Rash act like teenagers would make the sport exciting to a young audience...and it hasn't. And in the process, it's pushed the traditionalists away who view those antics as disrespectful to the game. Would an all-out brawl get ratings? Yup. But then what? Make brawls a weekly thing? Hockey tried that and it didn't work.

To grow the sport and to grow the PBA are entirely different topics...and people don't understand that. Both are necessary but are gotten to differently.

1) PBA needs the stories and the ratings like I proposed.
    2) To save the SPORT...we need influx of kids...YOUNG kids...with an emphasis on actually bowling well. NOT cosmic bowling or 2-handed or "rocknbowl". You know what excites me about bowling? Knowing that on any day of the week I can outbowl and of those teenagers at cosmic bowling. I knock down a 5-bagger and they all stare in disbelief. Meanwhile, they're throwing it underhand and end up with an 87.

We have to get away from that mindset by having youth learn how to bowl the right way....get good at it...then it develops into high schools and colleges and eventually into a strong class of pros. For each young kid that you can get...thats thousands of dollars for the bowling center in practice time and food and all that. Kids leagues start to form...now ya got even more money. And as these kids start growing up and showing up at cosmic bowling...it shifts the mindset of cosmic bowlers that bowling is about chucking a 6lb ball through the air and laughing hysterically...and there's actually some merit in learning how to bowl well. We have to make it "cool" to bowl well...rather than what we currently have where it seems like the worse you bowl the cooler you are.

He was really nice when we met him briefly a few months ago. Got a great vibe/energy from him.

Are you talking about me or Belmonte?

I have a great vibe/energy. : (

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    You know what excites me about bowling? Knowing that on any day of the week I can outbowl and of those teenagers at cosmic bowling.
    Wow, that is just plain pathetic.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

2) To save the SPORT...we need influx of kids...YOUNG kids...with an emphasis on actually bowling well. NOT cosmic bowling or 2-handed or "rocknbowl". You know what excites me about bowling?
    We have to get away from that mindset by having youth learn how to bowl the right way....get good at it...then it develops into high schools and colleges and eventually into a strong class of pros. For each young kid that you can get...thats thousands of dollars for the bowling center in practice time and food and all that. Kids leagues start to form...now ya got even more money. And as these kids start growing up and showing up at cosmic bowling...it shifts the mindset of cosmic bowlers that bowling is about chucking a 6lb ball through the air and laughing hysterically...and there's actually some merit in learning how to bowl well. We have to make it "cool" to bowl well...rather than what we currently have where it seems like the worse you bowl the cooler you are.
    Around here we have a pretty good youth program.
    I would be willing to lay money on a few of these kids even against the great Aslan. Some of these kids will wipe the floor with most adults
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:
    Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Brunswick Mastermind Genisu, Roto Grip Asylum and Ebonite Maxim
    Final Book Averages for Fall:192 Current averages in Summer: PBA 182, Tuesday 202, Thursday 205

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Wow, that is just plain pathetic.
    Well, I realize to the great vdub...it certainly seems like a pretty low target. My apologies your majesty.

My point was, I don't look at bowling poorly as a source of amusement. I take pride in how I bowl and am disappointed when I bowl poorly...as people should be. I've never understood those that think being terrible at something is "fun" or makes them cool.

But, I certainly don't mean to disagree with the great vdub...obviously his opinion of me is infallible, thus I will sink back to my "patheticness".

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of in the movie how he brought a new audience in who could relate to him, not how he fought bob barker lol

Banned
    Chats: 68

I knock down a 5-bagger and they all stare in disbelief.
    If I saw you knock down a 5-bagger I would stare in disbelief.

Chats: 0

I'd venture to guess he's got a good idea. He just did an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit last week. There were tons of questions from people, and he responded to almost all of them! Here's the link if you're interested in reading. Jason Belmonte AMA

Ringer
    Chats: 35

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFear View Post
    I'd venture to guess he's got a good idea. He just did an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit last week. There were tons of questions from people, and he responded to almost all of them! Here's the link if you're interested in reading. Jason Belmonte AMA
    I like his response to the Rash water bottle incident "If i wanted to put him off with a water bottle I would have thrown it at his head so nah, i did not do it on purpose"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast