Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How to Save the PBA Tour

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by rv driver View Post
    It would help if players could actually make a decent pro athlete living on the Tour. Again, it all comes down to money, as I've maintained all along (with all due respect to Aslan).
    I agree. But you're giving a solution with no way of getting TO the solution. Hope? Pray? Wish? You can't just snap your fingers and pay pros 2 million dollars a year. There hs to be massive amount of interest to fuel the sponsors getting back into it.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I agree. But you're giving a solution with no way of getting TO the solution. Hope? Pray? Wish? You can't just snap your fingers and pay pros 2 million dollars a year. There hs to be massive amount of interest to fuel the sponsors getting back into it.
    Therein lies the conundrum. It's a catch-22. You can't generate interest without spending money, and you can't generate money without building interest. Unless you can find a very rich bowling philanthropist.

Grassroots level is where bowling is lacking! Look at the average US demographic of bowlers?!?! Think it was like 50yr male!

If bowling can develop and support school bowling/bowling teams and inter school competitions then that can only be good for bowling as a whole. It needs a serious makeover!

We must develop a culture that bowling has value! and bowling has the "top" tier, the PBA. Something that is valued, respected, and financially sound for the next generation of kids to aspire to..

To be honest, bowling, like golf, is something that many kids don't want to work at it in general.Both sports suffering for their own variety of reasons. What the answer is, well does anyone truly know.. How do PBA create a buzz around bowling?? They are trying no doubt, but is it a case of flogging a dead horse here? It has to get it's face out there for all to see.

Chats: 204

Golf is more of a white collar sport so there's a lot of money in it. Golf has it's own TV channel for crying out loud.

Have I EVER watched an entire PGA event on TV. Nope. I might have watched portions of the Masters or Ryder Cup. But golf is the most boring thing to watch on TV that isn't related to hunting/fishing. Yet, they continue to get a ton of air time on national TV…because there are still a LOT of white collar businessmen pumping money into the sport. There are rumors that golf is losing interest…but all that has really happened is the "Tiger era" has ended and less everyday Joes are trying their hand at the game. The white collar guys are still there and so are the old retirees.

Bowling on the other hand is a blue collar sport. Folks aren't as willing to pay much. I've read many comments and heard many rumblings from bowlers about trivial amounts of money…like having to pay $21 a year for USBC membership or a league increasing their dues from $21 to $24 per week.

Chats: 0

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but I recently watched the 2004 movie, A League of Ordinary Gentlemen, which deals with the attempted revitalization of the PGA in that era. One thing I`m curious about....several times there are allusions to players not liking the changes being made by the PBA to attract television viewers and sponsors to the sport: the new CEO points out that it`s the viewers and sponsors that drive the business, not the players, and he doesn`t give a **** about the players, they`ll figure it out. Walter Ray Williams also makes comments implying a dislike of some of the changes. But the movie conspicuously avoids pointing out exactly what the changes are that the players don`t like. Does anyone here know what changes they are referring to

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Bowling on the other hand is a blue collar sport. Folks aren't as willing to pay much. I've read many comments and heard many rumblings from bowlers about trivial amounts of money…like having to pay $21 a year for USBC membership or a league increasing their dues from $21 to $24 per week.
    I only object to paying the fee when we get next to nothing in return.

Such as keeping the fees the same while at the same time removing nearly all of the awards from the national level and offering no additional services to the average or beginning bowlers they are taking those awards away from.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
    I only object to paying the fee when we get next to nothing in return.

Such as keeping the fees the same while at the same time removing nearly all of the awards from the national level and offering no additional services to the average or beginning bowlers they are taking those awards away from.
    Perrin you nailed it on the head. I don't care if the dues are $50 or $100 dollars but there should be something we see that those dues are going for. I understand the issue with honor scores mandate tougher conditions for certified league play and return the honor to the honor scores and give the awards back.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345