Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Contest Apr 14, 2014 to Apr 20, 2014 - Roto Grip Asylum

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Hope this doesn't go to the closet with the rest of the "waiting to be drilled" arsenal...

Congrats Aslan! Do with it what you want, just don't tell us if you "store" it for later use....AARGH!!! Bowling balls are made to throw!
    In Aslan's case, yes they are made to throw.

But, now that he has a high performance ball, he will need to continue his work on learning how to roll it.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Like buying a duck a flight suit, but enjoy!

Chats: 0

Aslan = Asylum Imagine that ! Congrats
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Chats: 204

You are all far too kind!

Yes…I have finally won something!! It's been awhile.

As classygranny eluded to….I now am faced with a dilemma.

Do I have it shipped here to go to the back of the line in my closet? Currently there are 9 balls ahead of it lobbying for a place in my future ARSEnal.

Or by winning it, am I abliged to actually get it drilled and use it?

And where will it fit in my "arsenal"??? It seems like a good replacement for the recently retired Frantic.

And what am I going to tell the poor 900Global Bullet Train that was waiting patiently to be the next symmetric ball, replacing the Frantic?? The Bullet Train will be sad…and maybe crack in half on my closet shelf…scaring me in the middle of the night!

It's a conundrum for sure. I DO feel somewhat obligated to throw it given I'm assuming thats part of the deal. Or does bowling boards .com not give a hoot if it goes into the closet of purgatory??

I am conversing with the almighty site administrator presently…via PM. I'm looking into my options of having them drill it before sending it to me. I figure if they drill it before shipping it…I'll be far more inclined to use it. But I gotta see how their $40 deal works where I send them a ball, they copy the hand measurements/spacing…then drill the ball to fit and send both balls back. They say they also will re-surface the ball I send them. But neither of the balls I have need re-surfacing. So if I gotta pay $25 to ship the ball to them, then $40 (+ finger inserts) essentially for the drilling and to have both balls shipped back to me…might be more economical to just have them ship it and have it drilled myself here.

I'll get it all worked out. Maybe since it's just hand measurements they need (because I already know the style of drilling I want)…I can get those off my current ball with measuring tape or something. I know with tri-grip there are different "pitches"…but with most drillings I believe those are somewhat standard right?
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

A little late but congrats Aslan. Weather you decide to roll it or store it all that matters is you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I'll get it all worked out. Maybe since it's just hand measurements they need (because I already know the style of drilling I want)…I can get those off my current ball with measuring tape or something. I know with tri-grip there are different "pitches"…but with most drillings I believe those are somewhat standard right?

Ask your current proshop for a copy of your drill-sheet. That should have all the measurements and pitches on it.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 256

I am conversing with the almighty site administrator presently…via PM. I'm looking into my options of having them drill it before sending it to me. I figure if they drill it before shipping it…I'll be far more inclined to use it. But I gotta see how their $40 deal works where I send them a ball, they copy the hand measurements/spacing…then drill the ball to fit and send both balls back. They say they also will re-surface the ball I send them. But neither of the balls I have need re-surfacing. So if I gotta pay $25 to ship the ball to them, then $40 (+ finger inserts) essentially for the drilling and to have both balls shipped back to me…might be more economical to just have them ship it and have it drilled myself here.
    I know this will go in one ear and out the other, but, send them one of your balls per the $40 arrangement and ask them not to resurface it. Pretty simple solution to your complicated problem.

With the $40 deal like when you buy a new ball from them, you don't have to pay to ship the ball to them. It is included. They will send you a label.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    I know this will go in one ear and out the other, but, send them one of your balls per the $40 arrangement and ask them not to resurface it. Pretty simple solution to your complicated problem.

With the $40 deal like when you buy a new ball from them, you don't have to pay to ship the ball to them. It is included. They will send you a label.
    Well, if I don't have to pay the $25 to ship them my ball...then thats what I'll do. I was thinking I'd end up paying $65 ($40 + $25) just to get them a layout when it seems like all I have to do is just tell them; "span = X inches finger to finger. Distance from finger holes to thumb hole is Y inches." I mean, I already know the layout I want...I'm just sending it to them for hand measurements. But...actually....I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world to have the 1 ball re-surfaced...and if it's $40 (versus $65)...thats worth it.

Am I over-simplifying the hand measurement thing? Do they need the other ball for pitch or thumb angle or something?

Per Perrin's idea...I "could" ask my ball driller to the stars (MWhite) for the layout he drilled. BUT;
    1) The layout I'd "like" to use is the tri-grip...and I don't know if bowlingball.com can copy that type of drilling since it involves more than just standard drilling.
    2) Even if I ask for the Rhythm drill layout (hand measurements); it's kinda asking a business to help give your business to someone else. I mean, if I "don't" get it drilled...I'd pay Mike to drill it. He might respond, "rather than give you the layout and send them $20...have them ship it undrilled, bring it to me...and I'll drill it according to your specs for $22."
    "OR....OR....since you like tri-grip....why not have them ship it undrilled and I'll tri-grip drill it for just a little more??"

Hmmm....now I gotta reach out to MWhite...who currently is being a BB Tour Hater....he might send me left handed specs just to throw me off my game in the BB Tour.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Am I over-simplifying the hand measurement thing? Do they need the other ball for pitch or thumb angle or something?
    Yes your over-simplifying it, Besides the span, they would have to get the finger and thumb pitches. Also your finger and thumb sizes.

1) The layout I'd "like" to use is the tri-grip...and I don't know if bowlingball.com can copy that type of drilling since it involves more than just standard drilling.
    They can copy the grip from your tri-grip ball.

The Tri-grip is a fitting technique, once the holes are punched in the ball. Any shop can copy the grip off the ball using the standard techniques for copying a grip to a standard T-grip.

As for asking for your grip spec's any shop should be happy to give them to you.

Though if they are "Tri-grip" spec's, not all shops could use them. Unless they know the Tri-grip system.

That's why you should take the tri-grip ball and get the grip spec's off the ball so they'll be converted to a standard T-grip spec's which any shop could use.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-22-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

After consulting my bowling ball spreadsheet (I have lots of spreadsheets…Excel is my friend)…I've made the decision to have it shipped undrilled.

Reasoning:

- I have recently decided to go to ONE ball weight…16lbs.
    - I have plans to actually create an "arsenal" at 16lbs and I already have a ball virtually identical to the Asylum; the 900Global Bullet Train.
    - But….I DON'T have a 15lb version of the Asylum. And my future plans are to transition back to 15lbs…so this will actually be a great fit!

So as much as I wanted to get it drilled up to replace the Frantic as my symmetric/hybrid overstock ball…it just makes no sense to get it at 16lbs when the Bullet Train is so similar and already on my shelf.

Specs (Mudpuppy close your eyes):
    Storm Frantic: RG: 2.53, Diff. 0.045, 1500 polish, symmetric, hybrid coverstock.
    Rotogrip Asylum: RG: 2.50, Diff. .043, 3000 finish, symmetric, hybrid coverstock.
    900Global Bullet Train: RG: 2.539, Diff. .040, 2500 finish, symmetric, hybrid coverstock.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast