Thread: First day back after 5 years-Ouch...

Default First day back after 5 years-Ouch...

Just came back from spending an hour at the lanes with the new ball. The last time I went bowling was probably five years ago.My intent was to just go and experience the lanes, get comfortable with the surroundings and how it all works and have some fun. Overall, it went OK. It took me awhile to become comfortable, since I really don't know what I am doing.
    Tried some one step drills, but I couldn't get to the point where I felt I could 'trust' my feet sliding, so that plan quickly devolved to just tossing the ball down as best I could and getting a feel for the backswing. There was a senior league today and they just happened to have their meeting directly behind me. That amped up the self consciousness quite a bit and I had a good string of gutter balls for a while. Managed to sneak in a strike, a spare (maybe the 2 pin) and a nice split eventually.
    Tore a good section of my thumb and bled a bit-I placed some white tape in before starting and I think a portion was out of the hole and caused the extra friction- that was a new experience and really took a toll on the last half of the hour. When my time was up, I cleaned up and started packing and noticed that my ball was nowhere to be seen (???). After a few minutes, I went to the desk and they had to remove the front shield of the ball return and 'help' the ball out.
    So, a little more eventful than I had planned, but I am certain that today will help me to be more confident on future trips.

Chats: 256

Gotta start somewhere. Keep at it, it will all come back before you know it.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

i took 2 years off from bowling and i can honestly say i just let my muscle memory pick back up and my first game off the bench was a 279 with a ring 10 in the 3rd. it's just like riding a bike, i practice my steps in my hallway at home and also practice my release at home with a bunch of couch pillows in front of the couch... dont let your wife catch you ding that trust me hahaha. just keep practicing it will all come back.

I took 4 years off and it took me about 25-30 weeks before I felt really good about my game again. Felt like I was learning the game all over again.