Thread: Drifting

Default Drifting

Is it good or bad?

Last week, my coach pointed out to me that I was drifting, so I made it a point to not drift next time I hit the lanes for practice.

And what's happened so far? I've played like ***. My releases are super inconsistent. Sometimes my ball misses right/way right, or misses left/way left. Other times, it goes directly where I want it to (but not very often). I make it a point to walk in a straight line and to keep my arm swinging straight back and forth (in a manner like if I was trying to keep a towel tucked underneath my underarm), but for some reason, either I'm still missing my mark to the left or to the right or my arm is still swinging out to the left/right.

I was bowling fine before all this...what the heck is going on?

Chats: 256

Since your coach pointed out you are drifting, were you drifting the same amount each time? A drift isn't always bad if you do it consistently. Now, I am not a coach and others will likely have an opinion on this. I drift about 5 boards from my starting position on the lanes and I feel I am pretty accurate.

If you are pulling shots left or you are missing right, that could be a footwork/arm swing timing issue. Typically when you pull a shot you are late and early when missing right.

Just my $.02.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I'm thinking that by thinking about your feet, you have inadvertantly changed your timing, and it's that change that is affecting your consistency. It's actually late timing that causes misses right, and early timing that causes misses left (for a right-hander), though there is an anomaly called "late timing trying to be early," where the right shoulder is jammed forward to make up for the late timing that will result in misses left.

Since the drifting issue is very important, particularly if it is to the right and more than two or three boards maximum, I would suggest that you assign particular practice sessions to work on your footwork, and forget all about it during league. Muscle memory takes about 1500 repetitions to sink in, so eventually your new footwork will become second nature. Until then, remember that nothing is harder to do than to bowl well when you are thinking about your feet.

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I'm thinking that by thinking about your feet, you have inadvertantly changed your timing, and it's that change that is affecting your consistency. It's actually late timing that causes misses right, and early timing that causes misses left (for a right-hander), though there is an anomaly called "late timing trying to be early," where the right shoulder is jammed forward to make up for the late timing that will result in misses left.

Since the drifting issue is very important, particularly if it is to the right and more than two or three boards maximum, I would suggest that you assign particular practice sessions to work on your footwork, and forget all about it during league. Muscle memory takes about 1500 repetitions to sink in, so eventually your new footwork will become second nature. Until then, remember that nothing is harder to do than to bowl well when you are thinking about your feet.
    I see the anomaly more so than the typical I guess. But, like I said, I am no coach.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post

I have great teammates that will let me know if I start drifting on the approach, I have found this do to "Fast Feet" so I just slow my feet, not really thinking of them and my timing a drifting seam to straighten out rather nicely, but again, it does help when I am told about by someone else.

I try never to get made at anyone telling what they see in my approach. I take it in and see if they are right, try changes at practice (try to get 1 night of practice a week in) and I think I have improved greatly in the past 12 months.

Jeral

Jerry 'Jeral999ok' - USBC #8738-16145 - Current Arsenal 14lbs: 1st: Brunswick Mastermind Genius, Aura (org), Hammer Purple Taboo, Blue/Silver Taboo, Brunswick Maxxed Out, Brunswick Meanstreak Brawler, 900 Global Hook Pearl, Spare: Dv8 Zombie - Current Averages: 187 in Sheridan, 182 Traveling League.

Chats: 0

I have a post on this forum that is from a coach that talks about drifting. It is not too far down from your post. You might want to take a look at that. Maybe it will help you.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Chats: 204

Drifting will make you less consistent. Agree with Rob...it's a change, focusing on it is probably messing with your approach/timing.

I drift when my little "numbers game" starts to not work right. What I mean is...I tend to move 3 boards left, then switch my target 1 board left while moving back right 1-2 boards. At some point...I end up "crowded" where my target is too far left and my body too far right...so subconsciously knowing that....I drift left to compensate.

But thats a math problem I have to fix because drifting doesn't help with consistency. Some guys always do it....but they are extremely consistent in how much they drift. It's another element to the equation...and the more elements...the harder it is to get the same result.

Once again, Aslan, please stop over-thinking everything! If you are doing math equations in your head, you cannot possibly throw a good shot.