Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #BowlerOnABudget cheap trick to "bake" your ball

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Wigman View Post
    Can you give an example, the ones im looking for doesnt seem like it'll fit a ball..
    I use an older Ronco 7-tray dehydrator. Actually though, you really only need 1-2 trays to support the ball. Then you put a bucket over it and let her rip.

Until I found a bucket that fit just right, I was going to use a Dremel to cut out the centers of the upper 5 trays....then use the standard unit top. But once I found a 5-gallon pail that fit perfectly inside the ridges of the trays...there was no reason to go to all that trouble. But yeah, the only way you'd need more than 2 trays (you could get by with one...I just worry the ball will crack the plastic if it's just 1 tray)...is if you try to get fancy and cut a hole in the upper trays to fit around the ball...which you don't need to do with a proper sized bucket.

My "issue" right now is...a professional ball dehydrator rotates the ball while it dehydrates. And it has a cloth that sucks up the oil as it rotates. I have the problem that after dehydrating it, I wipe the oil off (and there's a surprising amount of oil that comes off)...but it seems like I'm sort of wiping some of it back onto the ball. Not sure if there's some type of cloth/fiber (besides a microfiber towlel) that will "suck" the oil into the fabric versus wiping it around the ball surface.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I use an older Ronco 7-tray dehydrator. Actually though, you really only need 1-2 trays to support the ball. Then you put a bucket over it and let her rip.

Until I found a bucket that fit just right, I was going to use a Dremel to cut out the centers of the upper 5 trays....then use the standard unit top. But once I found a 5-gallon pail that fit perfectly inside the ridges of the trays...there was no reason to go to all that trouble. But yeah, the only way you'd need more than 2 trays (you could get by with one...I just worry the ball will crack the plastic if it's just 1 tray)...is if you try to get fancy and cut a hole in the upper trays to fit around the ball...which you don't need to do with a proper sized bucket.

My "issue" right now is...a professional ball dehydrator rotates the ball while it dehydrates. And it has a cloth that sucks up the oil as it rotates. I have the problem that after dehydrating it, I wipe the oil off (and there's a surprising amount of oil that comes off)...but it seems like I'm sort of wiping some of it back onto the ball. Not sure if there's some type of cloth/fiber (besides a microfiber towlel) that will "suck" the oil into the fabric versus wiping it around the ball surface.

I don't know of a towel type that woudl be more effective. but a couple oplions would be to wipe the ball down with cleaner every 20-30 minutes will it stops sweating oil.... Or combine your methods and go from the Dehydrator to a hot water bath the the oil that has come out of the surface would naturally float in the water..

personally I think microfiber and a cleaner/rubbing alchohol woudl be easiest.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
    to a hot water bath the the oil that has come out of the surface would naturally float in the water...
    I think the hot water bath was more effective in terms of getting the oil off the ball...but the dehydrator seems to get more oil OUT of the ball. I just can't figure out a way to get all the oil from the surface. I may go back to doing the bath one of these days. The dehydrator is just SO much less messy and with California being in a severe draught...I kinda feel like a turd for using an entire bathtub full of water to soak my bowling balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I think the hot water bath was more effective in terms of getting the oil off the ball...but the dehydrator seems to get more oil OUT of the ball. I just can't figure out a way to get all the oil from the surface. I may go back to doing the bath one of these days. The dehydrator is just SO much less messy and with California being in a severe draught...I kinda feel like a turd for using an entire bathtub full of water to soak my bowling balls.
    I agree.

What I meant was dehydrate the ball to get all the oil out of the ball then put it in a bucket of hot water to get all the oil Off the ball Just pick up a second matching 5 gallon bucket so you don't have to use an entire bathtub full
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12