Thread: New member, long time bowler.

Chats: 5

Default New member, long time bowler.

Hello readers!

I'm a long time bowler, 4th generation, my old man was a decent bowler, i've bowled with my grandpa and was told that my great grandpa was a helluva bowler. I took up bowling with my grandpa and bowled at Nieman Lanes and Misson Bowl growing up. I've bowled whenever I can but never entered a sanctioned league. I even took a bowling class in college for the hell of it and I'm glad I had that opportunity being the Teacher was a former PBA Champion (Charlie was the teacher's name i believe. Used to have a shop at AMF West AKA King Louie's.)

Now I finally got into a league this year ('13-'14) at Bel-Air Bowling then ended up getting into a 2nd league at Bowl Haven. I average 160 at my house (Bel-Air) and 158 at Bowl Haven, I am unsure of my bowling style since I'm trying to get comfortable with the approach and release, I'm somewhat of a power bowler. I've entered a couple tournaments as well, making the cut at both, 16th and 31st places, with learning i can hope to climb up the ladder more higher. Also I've made 3rd round for the Coor's Light Buck Shot tournament. Just finished 3rd round last Saturday with 689 series (with 151 handicap, the 3rd game really hurt, had 205, 189 then 144 *ouch*)

My current Arsenal is Brunswick Monster SlayR for medium to dry lanes and Motiv Primal Scream for medium to heavy, however I am looking for a ball that is decent for Heavy, but still useable when the lanes breakdown to the point before i switch to Scream. Also have 3 other balls that i don't use anymore, Ebonite Overtime, bought that ball when i was doing bowling classes, now its retired because it hooks way too early when it hits the dry part. A White Dot that is too heavy for me to pick up spares. And my personal and a sentimental favorite, '60's Manhattan Rubber 15.2 lbs.

I am unsure of what my PAP on all the balls i have, I'm still learning the ooga booga technical aspect of bowling maybe i can snap a pic or 2 of my balls. I know i throw 18 mph at the pins with my Monster SlayR and somewhere between 15-16 mph with Scream. My rev's are somewhere in the 350-450 range.

My best game is 232 with 608 series, i average about 490-550 series per night each week. My goals are to have a clean game/series, better pickups and be more comfortable with my approach and release. For next year I plan to attend several tournaments (3 or 4 tournaments and a regional tournament)

This site seems to be the bastion of bowling discussion and hope to get feedback from y'all with whatever i may post.

Thank Y'all!

Welcome. I am brand new to the site and sport, so everything is new to me. I've received some great information here. I'm sure any questions you have will be answered- there's a tremendous amount of knowledgeable people here.

Chats: 55

Welcome to the forum!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

2 more weeks left for '13-'14 League at my House. My team has a 3 game lead. We managed to scrape by thursday night against a team that was damn decent team, ladies on that team had 120 and 150 avg and the men had 175, 200 and 230 averages.. the 200 n 230 dudes were doing 6-9 front strikes. They beat us on the first match, then scraped by 10 pins on 2nd and 3rd game. the 230 guy nearly pulled a perfect game, had front 10 then the pressure got to him getting a 287 game. We're going against another decent team, more older and oftentimes pretty hit their marks and if their cannon bowler is hitting the pocket right, we've got to do 4-3 or better to give us a little cushion if we manage to end up 3-4 to take home 1st place for the league.

Also decided to sign up for singles summer league at St. Clair Bowl's Bowler's Shoppe 2 ball challenge. get 2 Roto Grip balls out of it, Hypercell and Uproar, just a perfect addition to my arsenal.

also, thanks for the welcomes!

I am excited to announce that I have reached the finals for Coors Light Buck a Shot tournament (S.I.B.P.A. Buck-A-Shot Tournament). Honestly wasn't expecting that I'd make it to the end with my 689 handicap series. WOW, what a year for me, barely making the cuts to get placed in 2 different tournaments, surprising myself as i progressed further in Coors Light as well.

Now i'm wondering if i'm able to pick up 2 new roto grip balls in time for said tournament or be faithful to my SlayR and Primal Scream.

p.s. took me a while to type this without any typos. too amped up haha!

wish me luck y'all!

welcome to the site