Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is summer the slow season for league bowling?

Chats: 0

In my area, summer leagues are a real challenge to fill. Not many do very well. I can't bowl weekday nights, so finding a weekend summer league is next to impossible. Bowled one last year but only 16 people total showed up for it, so we bowled a singles double/bracket deal (under cosmic lights, no less). It was fun but most years I can't find a league to bowl in, so I just practice occasionally and switch to golf and motorcycles to keep me entertained.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by zdawg View Post
    Never bowled on a summer league but about to. Speaking for my team (5 mixed hndcp) only myself and my buddy are bowling this summer, and the team size for our league drops from 5 per team to 4. I think that indicates that there will be less teams, as our winter league had 22 teams of 5 per team.
    I don't know. I think it's probably the same as winter…if your center stinks…it'll stink a little more in the summer. But if your center is strong, it'll stay strong in the summer. I guess I'll see as this season goes along, but in my Friday winter league we had 12 teams. The summer league I'm currently in has 22 teams. 5-person teams.

Now, I will say that one of the more popular centers in the area, when I inquired about their popular Thursday summer league, said they go from 5-person to 4-person in the summer. So I think that is common (as Bowl1820 mentioned).

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I know that some folks here would say that every season at this stage is slow for league bowling. To me I think it would be summer because a lot of folks go on vacations during the summer. Because of that there would be a lot of folks missing time on summer leagues and maybe there would be a lot of folks pre-bowling. I personally have never been on a summer league. Too many things to take care of around the house and summer is a good time for that. Has anyone here bowled on a summer league?
    I enjoy the summer leagues. Like TCCStudent says, with the ball league and PBA Experience League, but instead of the ball league this year, I just taking my winnings from my 2 winter leagues and buying a new ball, use it to practice in the PBA Experience League and join a sanctioned money summer league and practice 1 night also. So that's 3 weeknights of bowling and weekends for the house and yard.

Jeral

Jerry 'Jeral999ok' - USBC #8738-16145 - Current Arsenal 14lbs: 1st: Brunswick Mastermind Genius, Aura (org), Hammer Purple Taboo, Blue/Silver Taboo, Brunswick Maxxed Out, Brunswick Meanstreak Brawler, 900 Global Hook Pearl, Spare: Dv8 Zombie - Current Averages: 187 in Sheridan, 182 Traveling League.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I've bowled summer leagues three times, a PBA Experience league, a 4 person mixed league, and a TBNA doubles league.

In general there are fewer leagues in the summer and the number of bowlers involved is smaller. The exception is the sport league which goes from about 16-24 fanatics in the winter to 36-48 bowlers in summer. The explanation I've heard is that in winter we bowl about the same time as a popular big money league. A number of those bowlers look at the summer league a a chance to improve their games.
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12