Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is summer the slow season for league bowling?

Chats: 0

Default Is summer the slow season for league bowling?

I know that some folks here would say that every season at this stage is slow for league bowling. To me I think it would be summer because a lot of folks go on vacations during the summer. Because of that there would be a lot of folks missing time on summer leagues and maybe there would be a lot of folks pre-bowling. I personally have never been on a summer league. Too many things to take care of around the house and summer is a good time for that. Has anyone here bowled on a summer league?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Ringer
    Chats: 35

Never bowled on a summer league but about to. Speaking for my team (5 mixed hndcp) only myself and my buddy are bowling this summer, and the team size for our league drops from 5 per team to 4. I think that indicates that there will be less teams, as our winter league had 22 teams of 5 per team.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I use to bowl summer leagues, but quit awhile back it got to be kind of a grind.

The summer leagues do drop down some in size. As for folks pre-bowling more in the summer, there really wasn't a lot of it no more than during the winter.

One thing about summer leagues is the shot is usually different, due to the warmer weather and they adjust the pattern accordingly. There are also fewer tournaments during summer.

It's a good time to sub on leagues people go away for a couple of weeks, that way you can keep your hand in. Good time for practice also.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 55

I usually bowl in the summer, since it's got some air conditioning at least. Truthfully, I tend to use the summer league sessions to work on a major overhaul if I want to make a change. Last summer was going from 4 step to 5 step. This summer...hummm...need to work with my coach to see what we might want to do this summer. If nothing major, it gives me a chance just to tweak some minor things as it seems so much more relaxed than the winter leagues.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

I love summer leagues! This summer I'm bowling in two recreational leagues with my wife; one senior league at noon, and one open handicap league at night with a good friend of mine, who is also my coach, ball driller, and golfing partner, who also averages 240 by the way, and one individual league on a sport shot. Personally, I'm looking forward to getting away from high-average senior leagues with all of the whining, bellyaching, and general bitching about just about everything.

My first league ever was a summer league. It's great for new bowlers because it's usually not as intense as a fall league and it's a great way to get new gear in ball leagues. I'm doing a summer league this year to practice and fine tune my mechanics for next season.

Chats: 256

Summer has become the slow, get my game better season. Last year I took off and got some lessons and made some tweaks. Tweaks put into action via lots and lots of practice. Then when Fall leagues started, was a better bowler because of it. I do sub once in awhile during the summer, but we take vacations etc for a few weeks and hard to pay for the few weeks we are gone when that is about 1/4 to 1/3 of the season.

I agree Kells. Summer leagues are great for beginners and new league bowlers.
    Last edited by vdubtx; 04-18-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Summer is a great time to work on your game, particularly if you set a clear goal for yourself. Personally, my goal for the summer is to perfect my "B game" release so that I can vary axis tilt and axis rotation at will.

vdubtx: It might be a good time for you to work on cutting down on the drift?

we have one summer league around here that is pretty big but it is unsanctioned it is a ball league where they do give away a pretty good ball the last few years was (DV8 your choice of any, Meanstreak or Meanstreak Brawler) This year is the mastermind or the genisus

All the other leagues generally are pretty small
    This summer I am bowling this ball league and a PBA league
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:
    Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Brunswick Mastermind Genisu, Roto Grip Asylum and Ebonite Maxim
    Final Book Averages for Fall:192 Current averages in Summer: PBA 182, Tuesday 202, Thursday 205

I would think most leagues do slow down or are smaller in the summer. I'm bowling in 2 leagues this summer. A monday league with my daughter and a Sport Shot league. Looking forward to the sport shot.
    BowlingVids.com -- USBC Tennessee (2204-27181) California (222-32895)

IndexGenie.com -- In The Bag --> Roto Grip Wrecker - Roto Grip Hyper Cell - Storm Polar Ice Hybrid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast