Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please critique my form!

Default Please critique my form!

I know my balance arm is a little wonky, but what else can I fix?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXwl_bfv0VU

There are two things that immediately jump out at me, though having only the one angle is limiting on how much I can see:

1. You seem to be pushing the ball away on the third step of your five step approach. While having only the one angle prevents me from seeing if this is creating late timing at the line, using what is, in effect, a three step approach will cause you to muscle your armswing which is evident on a couple of very errant shots. Regardless of how many steps a bowler chooses to take, bowling is based on the last four steps before reaching the foul line. I think that if you can learn to push the ball out with your second step, you will notice an immediate difference in accuracy and consistency.

2. In terms of keeping your hand behind the ball, the shot that really jumped out at me was when you threw your spare ball at the five-ten split. Your hand stayed in a very good position throughout the shot. This leads me to believe that you are trying to make the ball hook on your strike shot. With modern bowling balls, less is really more. The more we "try" to make them hook, the less they hook. Conversely, the less we try to make them hook, the more the balls built-in strength takes over, and the more the ball hooks.

Rob Mautner

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    There are two things that immediately jump out at me, though having only the one angle is limiting on how much I can see:

1. You seem to be pushing the ball away on the third step of your five step approach. While having only the one angle prevents me from seeing if this is creating late timing at the line, using what is, in effect, a three step approach will cause you to muscle your armswing which is evident on a couple of very errant shots. Regardless of how many steps a bowler chooses to take, bowling is based on the last four steps before reaching the foul line. I think that if you can learn to push the ball out with your second step, you will notice an immediate difference in accuracy and consistency.

2. In terms of keeping your hand behind the ball, the shot that really jumped out at me was when you threw your spare ball at the five-ten split. Your hand stayed in a very good position throughout the shot. This leads me to believe that you are trying to make the ball hook on your strike shot. With modern bowling balls, less is really more. The more we "try" to make them hook, the less they hook. Conversely, the less we try to make them hook, the more the balls built-in strength takes over, and the more the ball hooks.

Rob Mautner
    Thanks for the feedback. I can try to film another series of shots with different angles. What kind of angles do you need?

The video from the back should show the full figure, from the top of the head, to the bottom of your feet for the entire approach. It would also be very helpful to see a video taken from the bowling arm side, at the foul line, also showing the entire figure.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The video from the back should show the full figure, from the top of the head, to the bottom of your feet for the entire approach. It would also be very helpful to see a video taken from the bowling arm side, at the foul line, also showing the entire figure.
    Here you go (it's a few days old, but I haven't been able to get out to the alley this past week).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QMLnFkeapY
    Last edited by shadowshocker; 04-29-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Thank you. This is a much better angle. You are definitely late in pushing the ball out, waiting until the third step of your five step approach. From what I can see from the rear view, you are compensating for getting to the line in front of the ball by pulling your right shoulder forward. This is called late timing trying to be early. The problem with it is that is causes great inconsistency. When it works too well, the ball is early and you miss left. When it doesn't work quite well enough, the ball is late, and you miss right. For starters, work on pushing the ball out with the first step with your right foot: right foot and ball move forward together. This will feel really weird to you at first, but once you get used to it, it will allow the ball to swing on its own without you trying to force it. The one other thing that I would suggest that you do at the same time is to move the ball to the right, directly under your right shoulder as you set up. Right now, you are having to bring the ball around you which is also contributing to the inconsistency. You can check this yourself with your camera. When you set up, a little bit of the ball should be visible from the rear view. Work on this, a let us know how it's coming.

Rob Mautner

Chats: 506

happy you start slow but i would try to accelerate starting around step 3

and i agree with rob but you do a 5 step should be short step then start push away if i am not mistake

your timing is late thats why your letting ball go so far in front of you should release by your shoe lace!

just few things i seen
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Chats: 256

Shadowshocker, great video explaing the 4 or 5 step approach. Might be easier to visualize before heading to the lanes and trying it.

High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 506

i think speeding up on step 3 will fix your timing i also like to point out you have a great foundation just minor tweeks here and there and you will be good 2 go
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

If you don't start pushing away on the second step rather than the third step, then speeding up on your third step will make your problems worse, not better. You have a ways to go, but you need to approach it by addressing one or, at a maximum, two at a time. For starters, push away on your second step, and get the ball under your shoulder so that you don't have to bring the ball around your body.

Rob Mautner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast