The Ascent Apex is priced as an “entry level” ball, but it is high performance through and through. It has the Recon core, which is a High RG 2.59, Low Differential 0.25, with a modified version of the strong pearl cover first featured on MOTIV’s landmark ball the Primal Rage.

I have long been a fan of the Recon core from way back on the RX1, which was my first MOTIV ball. I have had a lot of success with the RX1 and the original Ascent balls, particularly on short oil patterns. For me, the new Ascent Apex is about 3 or 4 boards stronger than the original Ascent on the back-end, and has about 3 or 4 boards less overall hook than the Primal Rage, so it fits that sweet spot perfectly.

This ball is an excellent choice on short to medium short oil patterns when the heads break down a little bit, and you need a ball that’s clean through the fronts with good back-end kick. I also bowl a league at a house that has a house shot with low volume, and the Apex does the trick.

Here is a ball reaction video that I did featuring the Apex. In the video I compare the ball motion to the Original Ascent, Venom Shock, Primal Rage & Cruel Intent.

This is a key piece of equipment for me to bring to every tournament. Even on longer patterns, the later it gets into the block, the more likely that it’s coming out of my bag. It doesn’t do crazy tricks down-lane – it does just what it needs to do to kick out that 10 pin, and that’s all I need it to do.

--Kevin Gallagher—
PBA Member
MOTIV Staff