Thread: Do you plug and redrill?

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Default Do you plug and redrill?

I am curious if you have ever or would ever plug and re drill a ball? If you have, please tell us what you think? Is it worth it?

Thanks
    Go Broncos!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I've had balls plugged and re-drilled several times to change the reaction. The last was my Cell, the reaction just wasn't right for me. So after trying it a couple of weeks I had the layout changed. Now it's a whole different ball.

Is it worth it? sure if a layout is not working or you want to try a New/different reaction. It's cheaper than buying a new ball and can give new life to a old ball.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 1

Depending on what reaction you want from a ball, I play with the surface first. 70% of a balls reaction comes from the surface. I have a Terminator (medium load particle) that OOB was 1200, polished. It worked better for me when the alleys broke down a bit. I hit it with Valentinos Resurrection to take it down to 800. It was a bit early for me. I then polished it. It picks up much better on the fresh, and I can stay with it the whole night.

What reaction were you expecting from your ball?

Drilling and replugging is fine for grip changes (experimenting) - I myself don't plug and redrill balls unless I'm not going to use them anymore, I usually do this right before I buy my new season equipment. I do purchase new equipment every year. I've bought 12 in the last 2 years. I try to experiment with different manufacturers too, I don't want to get hung up on type. I haven't found a columbia product I like yet, nor a Lane#1, but I've only tried 2 of each manufacturer. I'll experiement again this summer - I still have a niche for my GameBreaker and I absolutely love the Visionary equipment I roll, even though they don't carry as well - but that is just tweaks in my speed and angle (apparently)
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums