Storm Punch Out Ball Review

The Punch Out is a ball that is well worth its price point. It packs a ton of power for its punch. Marketed as a mid-performance ball, I feel this ball can be used in many different ways. I will get the most use out of this ball on high friction surfaces and when the front of the lane starts to hook and my feet need to be left with my eyes to the right. I don’t see myself using this ball on fresh sport patterns or flatter conditions. The response time is very quick, thus requiring some oil down lane to slow it down.

The one I drilled is approximately 5 ½ x 4 with a hole two inches under my axis. This puts the pin in my middle finger. Out of the box, this has to be one of the most angular balls I have ever thrown. Typically, I am not a huge fan of that type of reaction because of the risk/reward profile it presents. The extra hole helped slow down that response time, but I also used a 2000 pad by hand to help knock the shine off. This controlled the motion a lot more and made the Punch Out hook when it sees oil and not make as jerky of a motion off the friction.

To recap, I love the Punch Out on house patterns and sport patterns when after the pattern has developed and become more tapered. On fresh sport patterns, I think this ball will be too responsive. When the time calls for that motion, this is a perfect fit. I also find the Punch Out still reads the mid-lane strong enough so it doesn’t blow through the break point.

If you are missing that stand left/throw right ball that you will use late in blocks or when the lanes start to hook, the Punch Out is the way to go!

#StormNation