Thread: Storm Punch Out Review by Dan Schaden Jr

Chats: 0

Default Storm Punch Out Review by Dan Schaden Jr

The Punch Out was released in May and is in the Hot Line series. The Punch Out and the Wipe Out were introduced together. Both releases utilize the same Turbine Core that is the only similarities between the two releases. The Punch Out has the R2S Pearl Reactive cover stock whereas the Wipe Out has the R2S Solid Reactive cover stock. The Punch Out is a go long ball with a dramatic reaction on the backend. With that being said I drilled my Punch Out pin down with a slightly large hole down also…. The coordinates are 75 X 5 ¼ X 45. My axis point is 5 5/8 over and ¾ up with medium to slow ball speed (15mph to 16mph) with a rev rate around 300. I am right handed and my I am more up the back of the ball.

The Punch Out with its pearl cover stock is perfect for medium to light volume patterns with really good backend. On a typical house pattern, I was able to square up and go up the dry with success and follow it left as it broke down. However, the Punch Out needs dry to react and the farther I moved my feet left the more I had to get the Punch Out to the right. The launch angle became extremely drastic. At the same time, I was using the Wipe Out and I could move my feet and breakpoint to the left because of the solid cover stock. However, the backend motion was stronger with the Punch Out than with the Wipe Out. The last pattern that used the Punch Out on was a version of the Cheetah. The Punch Out made this pattern look easier than a house pattern with recovery and hold. I could square up and also give the Punch Out room to the right. The Punch Out really got through the front part of the lane with ease and the backend motion was impressive. I also used a Tropical Heat Pearl to see what the differences were and what I noticed was the Tropical Heat was not as easy to control as the Punch Out. The Tropical Heat was more sensitive to the pattern. If the Tropical Heat touched the dry too soon it jumped but if you did not get it to the dry no reaction. The Punch Out blended the pattern and made it easy to get to the pocket.

The Punch Out will be in my arsenal for the shorter and lighter oil patterns.

Dan Schaden Jr
    Storm/ Roto Grip Staff Member
    Vise Grip Staff Member

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Iceman demo's balls too!!

send Iceman one for his arsenal too! Great Info,,, thanks for taking the time to give your analysis!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Thanks for the info. I am looking for a ball to use when the lanes are toasted!!