Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: ICEMAN has found a Mom and Pap 6 lane WOOD bowlling alley!!!!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Eye see said the blind man!

Quote Originally Posted by rv driver View Post
    You'll have to keep an "eye" on that son of yours...
    VERY GOOD,, RV!!! Eye will do my BEST!!! LOL

One thing that I found out about these wood lanes, and the league in general is this:

1. Each Thursday they try out a different pattern on their oil machine!

2. You never know what to expect in regards to oil?

3. two weeks ago they chose number 36 on their machine, which placed a lot of oil on the outside, (according to their reference guide that came with their reconditioned oil machine that I have pictures in an earlier post.

4. I must say its VERY challenging trying to hit that 200 game for me and my son!

5. He was discouraged with his scores on the wood. I am not sure its so MUCH THE WOOD, but rather the huge changes in not only patterns, but the length that the put the pattern down. They not only change the type of pattern each week but also the length! form 34 feet to 40 feet.

Our averages at the Mom and Pop wood lane alley are going SOUTH! I was lucky two weeks ago, ( last time Ice bowled the wood lanes), to slip by with one 200 plus game. It was the 3rd game, and I made adjustment.

I look at it as a FUN CHALLAGE,,, each week not knowing the pattern, or the length.... its no WOUNDER that no one has a 200 average at this great establishment,,,, YET!! and never been a 300 or 800 thrown since it opened in 1957!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    I look at it as a FUN CHALLAGE,,, each week not knowing the pattern, or the length....
    Ice that will make you a better bowler as you will not get used to just
    one pattern and you should be able to go and bowl on any lanes in the
    world.

Just look at the Pros they don't bowl on the same pattern every week
    and they do alright. The new owners of our center it seems have started
    to change our shot from week to week also not so much the length but
    the amount of oil that is laid down and where on the lanes.

One week we'll come in and the lanes will be flooded and the next they will
    be dry and the next they will be perfect and the next who knows what they
    have in store for us.

I personally do not mind it at all as it is helping me to become a much, much,
    more versatile bowler a lot more than I was to start with.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Blog Entries

Well we had a good night on the Wood lanes,,, I had a terrible first game using the Hyper-Cell, then changed over in the 9 frame of first game to the Deadly-Aim, and Walla!!

(this was my original Deadly-Aim), not the one that you gave me Rob! Huge difference between the way yours is drilled, and my original one! Mine is a VERY,,VERY controlled steady arc to the pocket, while yours has that hockey stick snap right at the end of its journey to the pocket.

The ball you gave me has a great feel coming off my hand, but I need to TAME that snap at the end. Can this be accomplished with surface? I have not touched it since bring it home, other then drilling your thumb plug out and installing the vise system. (remember they also come with polish on the ball from the factory)

After pulling my original deadly aim out threw a 228, and 234! for a low 600 series,,, considering the FRICKEN FIRST game I was happy. The pattern changes every week at these challenging wood lanes. This week it was a standard 38 foot house pattern.

As I have mentioned before they change not only the length, but type of pattern each and every week!

ICEMAN loves this MOM and POP historic wood lane bowling establishment,,,, ( THANK your Bowling God for making ICEMAN aware of these wonderful challenging wood lanes) Amen!

Aslan,,, pictured below one of the local Farm Girls, that shows up each week after attending her Farm chores to BOWL! Yes, Aslan,,, The Farmers Daughter!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 10-11-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 32

Ice I don't think the Hyper-Cell is your best option on wood.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Ice I don't think the Hyper-Cell is your best option on wood.

Remember Amyers they change the length, and type of pattern every week. In a sense its between a house and sports pattern, you never know what ball you will be using to conquer the oil layout.

They really don't do Sports patterns, but do change the lay out every week.

One tuff pattern they did two weeks ago was heavier oil on the outside verses the inside! It was similar to the US OPEN, but not as slick on the outside.

I must say its a challenge, that I look forward to each week!!!

I am sure that my average will suffer bowling these Farm Boy Tough Conditions, but I think in the long run it is going to take me to a higher level!

GREAT GROUP OF GUYS,,, many been bowling together in this small 6 lane alley for over 30 years.... One young man came up to me with his Bib-Overalls hook on one side, and hanging down to his waste on the other side and said that he had been bowling at Plattsburg Lanes since he was 3 years old. He had his two kids there with him, a boy and girl maybe 6 and 8 years old that will be bowing in his foot steps as they get older.

Its a GREAT GROUP,,, they bowl for GLORY and Comradeship, not MONEY! Many bring their own beer, and treat's which they many times share with the other bowlers,,, even on occasion, one of the owners wifes makes Ice Cream, and shares it with everyone!

ITS HEAVEN ON EARTH!!!

Doesn't get any better then this!!! Its a 37 mile trip for ICEMAN, but worth every mile!!!

P.S.
    species come from all over the galaxy to experience, the love, fellowship, and ICECREAM
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 10-11-2014 at 11:50 PM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314