All good things must come to an end, right? Not true. The Marvel Pearl has had a tremendous run. It’s been a ball that goes with me everywhere. The new Storm Optimus is a very close replacement to the Marvel Pearl. Looking at the numbers, core, and cover, it won’t be exact. But this will be a very versatile ball for all types of players. My initial feeling on the Optimus is a quicker response time than the Marvel Pearl.

The layout I went with is one of my favorites. The pin is approximately 5 ¾ x 4 ½ with a small hole two inches below my axis. I also knocked the shine off a bit with a used 2000 pad. This slowed the response time down and created a smoother, more predictable motion. For high rev players, I think they will find more success taking the shine off and for the lower rev players, they should be able to leave it shiny and they will appreciate a faster response time.

Comparing the Optimus to the Marvel Pearl, I think they are close. I feel like Optimus reads the mid-lane a touch harder and continues a bit more, but when we have to say goodbye to the MP, the Optimus will be the next best bet. I will use this piece on all types of conditions and it will go with me everywhere. I can see using it on longer patterns because the cover/core combination is very strong. It will also come in play on shorter patterns because the core will help slow down energy off of the friction. If you are missing that benchmark/go to/most reliable reaction ball in your bag, the Optimus is the one for you.

Go drill one!!!

#StormNation