Thread: Storm Hyroad Solid Ball Review by PJ Haggerty

Thumbs up Storm Hyroad Solid Ball Review by PJ Haggerty

Storm could put a Hyroad logo on a tennis ball and it would strike. A solid version of one of the best balls ever made? Yes please. By making a solid version of the Hyroad, we can talk about a ball for everyone. The tournament players can use it on flatter patterns and when they need to “stand left/throw right” and the league bowlers will love it because it will blend out the wet/dry reaction. The beautiful part about the solid is how clean it still is with a decent amount of surface on it. Some players have said when you put surface on a pearl ball or a strong ball, it makes the ball slow down so much, it doesn’t go through the pins the right way. Not the Hyroad Solid.

My favorite drilling for the Hyroad line has been 5 ¼ x 4 with a 7/8 hole approximately two inches under my axis. This puts the pin directly through my middle finger which increases differential and makes balls more predictable. I’ve had a lot of success with this in the past, especially on balls with faster response times. Throwing this ball on PBA and sport patterns gives me a cleaner and smoother motion than some of the high end balls, while still providing power through the pins. The core is so versatile and matches up on so many conditions, it’s hard to put this ball down!

Don’t be afraid to drill this ball stronger too. The surface out of the box indicates a ball that will read the front of the lane pretty fast, not true. This ball will still float through the front but read the mid-lane so nicely. It will still provide the Hyroad motion through the pins, just in a smoother fashion. I’d recommend it for anyone looking to replace their “late block” high friction balls.

Go Drill One!

#StormNation

My friend is looking at this bowling ball to fit into his arsenal. He currently has a need for a bowling ball that fits between his Roto Grip Hyper Cell and his Hy Road Pearl. I'm hoping he gets this one to plug in the hole he has in his game.