Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner bowler questions???

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    Careful there guys, sometimes you can get an image in your mind you will never get rid of.
    It's too late for me! Save yourselves!!!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    It can become an addiction (see iceman or Aslan) of course Aslan doesn't actually bowl with his he just keeps them in his closet and strokes them occasionally. ��
    Soon enough children. This Wednesday, I'll be debuting 2 new balls in my arsenal. Taking the day off to go visit Mr. White. Then I'll be back down from 12 in the closet to 10. After that, maybe I'll take a new picture. Here's the old picture:

Actually, figured I'd take this while I'm thinking about it. Here's the collection of the 10 remaining bowling balls (once I get the 2 drilled Wednesday):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aslan; 07-20-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Soon enough children. This Wednesday, I'll be debuting 2 new balls in my arsenal. Taking the day off to go visit Mr. White. Then I'll be back down from 12 in the closet to 10. After that, maybe I'll take a new picture. Here's the old picture:

So which 2 are you drilling
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 0

World's first bowling ball hoarder. You should go on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by rv driver View Post
    World's first bowling ball hoarder. You should go on TV.
    Well, the 2nd to last ball I bought; I realized I'll probably never use it in the next 3 years. I mean, I have 3 balls (8,9, and 10 pins in that picture) that would all fill the same spot in an arsenal. So THAT is when I decided enough was enough and stopped.

HOWEVER….I then saw a deal on a ball that was quickly disappearing from the marketplace and it actually would be a good replacement for the Asylum…and fits a unique position in the arsenal I'm going to create. So, I picked it up. But at THIS point…I don't think I'll be in the market for any more (unless I win them) UNLESS I come across 1-2 that fill very specific gaps…primarily symmetric core solid cover stocks…maybe hybrid cover stocks.

I have but im a straight bowler wanting to learn how to hook.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofpeace View Post
    Hooking a ball is somewhat about the ball and lane conditions…but mostly about the release.

The old way of getting a ball to hook is to bring your hand from behind the ball up the side of the ball. The more modern way is to bring your hand from the inside to the outside. There's tons of videos online that can give you instruction on it.

Chats: 32

Wizard are you throwing a conventional grip or fingertip?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I'm just starting to bowl and i have so many questions that i need answered.

1. Whats a good hook bowl to start out with?
    Like most have said a entry level ball, you should also get your own shoes if you don't have them already.

2. How can i tell how much oil a lane has (was told that our lane always has medium sometimes low oil)?
    Simplest way is to ask, either at the desk or the laneman should be able to tell you (though a lot won't they think it's a state secret and some just don't know, it pre-programmed and they just push button)

The guy in the pro shop should know also.

3. Best coverstock for a hook ball?
    The pro shop can advise you best on a ball for your lanes.

Thanks for all the answers and info!

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    So which 2 are you drilling
    In the old picture, the two blue balls in pin positions 2 and 3 are getting drilled on Wednesday. Columbia300 "Encounters". My first assymetric cores...same balls, same weights...Mike W. is going to "try" and drill them up in a way that:

A) Makes them react differently.
    B) Makes them work for my game.
    C) Keeps them USBC approved/legal.

What I'm looking for in terms of reaction/arsenal building is:
    1) A ball for heavier oil conditions with a very angular back end motion. Something that will allow me to play inside, despite my lower rev rate...and it will still make the turn back into the pocket.
    and
    2) Another ball that will be drilled weaker and will serve as a slight variation on my Frantic and Rhythm. If the Rhythm isn't giving me the best angle into the pocket from the outside...I could throw this ball along that same line and get a different angle. If I'm playing the "middle" with the Frantic...same thing...play the same line but get a little different angle into the pocket.

If everything goes as planned, I'll be filming the whole thing and hopefully it will create a rather interesting video where two of the same balls are drilled/surfaced in a way that gives you very different balls when it's all said and done. There are a lot of videos on ball drilling, on ball drilling terms and angles, but relatively few that show you the same ball thrown by the same bowler, but drilled and surfaced in a way that results in different reactions. USBC showed the result of surface changes thrown by their robot. And Storm has a video out there of 2 identical balls drilled differently...but it's a little too technical and then the balls get thrown by a PBA pro. This will be more down to Earth.

But we'll see. I might not be able to video tape it due to equipment/memory or because Mike is too busy. And there's a good chance this experiment simply won't work and the difference between the balls will be too slight to be noticed with my style (low rev rate). But I think it will be a fun experiment. I normally wouldn't buy two identical balls and have them drilled differently...but in this case I ended up with 2 of the same sort of accidentally...so I figured it'd be a fun experiement. Maybe educational, maybe not. Maybe entertaining, maybe not.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12