One of Storm’s July releases is the HyRoad Solid that has the inverted Fe2 Technology weight block that is surrounded by the R2S Solid reactive cover stock. The HyRoad Solid is smooth through the front part of the lane with a powerful but readable backend motion. The layout that I used was off the VLS System and the coordinates are the following: Pin to pap 3 1/8, PSA to PAP 5 1/2 and Pin Buffer 2 ¼. In Dual angle layout terminology 55 X 3 1/8 X 45 and I also needed and extra hole which is located 1 inch past my VAL on the center line. MY coordinates are: PAP 5 5/8 and ¾ up, rev rate around 300, ball speed around 15mph, more up the back release and I am right handed.

The HyRoad Solid comes from the factory with a 2000 grit surface which I did nothing to. The smoothness of the HyRoad Solid is unbelievable but the continuation through the pins is more impressive! The layout that I choose was for a medium condition with medium volume, I was looking for a benchmark ball and I think I found it. The first pattern that I threw the HyRoad Solid on was a standard house pattern and man did this ball give me the pocket. I normally have a lot of over/under ball reaction on a house pattern but not with the HyRoad Solid. The HyRoad Solid is strong enough to still finish when I missed inside and gave me enough length if I missed outside. However, about an hour into the session, the HyRoad Solid started to burn up slightly because the front part of the lane burned up and at that point the HyRoad Pearl would be a better option anyway! The other pattern that I threw the HyRoad Solid on was a longer pattern (AMF version of the Scorpion) that was more blended and the HyRoad Solid again gave me room because of the smoothness and readability at the break point. As long as I kept the ball to the right and straighter the HyRoad Solid was unbelievable as it went through the pins! However, as the pattern broke down (heads burned up) and the launch angles increased the HyRoad Solid just was a touch too early and lost too much energy in the mid-lane. The HyRoad Pearl or the original HyRoad would be a better ball choice at that point.

The HyRoad Solid is a solid choice when looking for a powerful bowling ball that is versatile.

Dan Schaden Jr
Storm/ Rot Grip Staff
Vise Grip Staff