Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 bowling fundamentals by posted on Storm's facebook page

Default 5 bowling fundamentals by posted on Storm's facebook page

i know we just had a great debate about this but i saw this and had to share.
    per Storm's post they arrange these top 4 fundamentals as such, and leave the 5th blank for you to add.
    1. ball motion
    2. physical game
    3. lane play
    4. arsenal
    5.___________

most of the replies on 5 are beer. but a close second is consistency, which i agree with.
    what are your thoughts?
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneshu87 View Post
    per Storm's post they arrange these top 4 fundamentals as such, and leave the 5th blank for you to add.
    1. ball motion
    2. physical game
    3. lane play
    4. arsenal
    5.___________

most of the replies on 5 are beer. but a close second is consistency, which i agree with.
    what are your thoughts?
    To me consistency is just part of the physical game, a fifth would the Mental game.

Side note:
    Back in 2000, the World Tenpin Bowling Association’s Technical committee defined what characterized the best bowler. From this committee, they defined a skilled bowler as one who possesses
    1. versatility
    2. accuracy
    3. power
    4. repeatability
    5. knowledge

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

# 5 would be my # 1 and that is the mental game. To me it's probably 51% more of my game. If I am not mentally focused then my entire game is off. Ball motion, physical play, fundamentals, foot work, etc. should all be second nature - as a result of practice and experience. They should be a given. If you are thinking about foot work you are forgetting about 10 other things like hitting your mark or your back swing or whatever. Lane play - same thing. You can't control the lane conditions, unless you own the alley, so you really just need to know how to adjust to them - experience and practice does this. Arsenal - it's highly debatable. I was extremely successful for many years with 1 ball and only 1 ball. Could a pro be successful with 1 ball? I think it's possible. The game gets a bit diluted, kind of like baseball with the starting pitcher, middle reliever, 8th inning pitcher and closer, when you start rolling in a 6 ball bag and changing balls every other frame. What I think we could all agree on is the "correct" ball change and that is not changing balls when you aren't hitting your mark, are inconsistent, foot work is off, etc. - i.e. you are using the ball as an excuse for your poor bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    # 5 would be my # 1 and that is the mental game. To me it's probably 51% more of my game. If I am not mentally focused then my entire game is off. Ball motion, physical play, fundamentals, foot work, etc. should all be second nature - as a result of practice and experience. They should be a given. If you are thinking about foot work you are forgetting about 10 other things like hitting your mark or your back swing or whatever. Lane play - same thing. You can't control the lane conditions, unless you own the alley, so you really just need to know how to adjust to them - experience and practice does this. Arsenal - it's highly debatable. I was extremely successful for many years with 1 ball and only 1 ball. Could a pro be successful with 1 ball? I think it's possible. The game gets a bit diluted, kind of like baseball with the starting pitcher, middle reliever, 8th inning pitcher and closer, when you start rolling in a 6 ball bag and changing balls every other frame. What I think we could all agree on is the "correct" ball change and that is not changing balls when you aren't hitting your mark, are inconsistent, foot work is off, etc. - i.e. you are using the ball as an excuse for your poor bowling.
    that is an issue that is plaguing the sport as well, when new people see that 6 ball roller they think in order to be good they need a full 6 ball roller too but thats expensive and it chases the beginner away. i agree i used to use only one ball but having at most three for a house league is practical.
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneshu87 View Post
    4. arsenal
    5.___________

what are your thoughts?
    Ironic that a bowling ball manufacture would stick "arsenal" in the top 5.

Just for that obvious attempt at marketing, my vote for #5 would be "Brunswick products."

Chats: 39

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    To me consistency is just part of the physical game, a fifth would the Mental game.
    That would be my pick. If "Physical game" is going to be considered a fundamental, than I would say mental game has to be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Ironic that a bowling ball manufacture would stick "arsenal" in the top 5.
    How is that ironic? Wouldn't that be exactly what you'd expect a ball manufacturer to put in the top 5?
    Company League Average: 198.1
    City League Average: 186.5
    WTBA Sport pattern League Average: 172.9
    Current Arsenal: Roto Grip Nomad Pearl, Wrecker, and Hyper Cell; Track 920A and 505A; Storm Tropical Breeze; Plastic Spare Ball

dont get me wrong i think arsenal should be considered, yes you can be successful using only one ball for everything but i still think having a few choices should be part it, but more importantly knowing which of those choices to make, no sense in changing balls every frame. but i feel like you shout have, one hockey stick ball, one banana ball, and one plastic/urethane ball, and that should cover all your needs in a THS

What would they say downriver Aslan? That would be interesting.

You could replace arsenal with good equipment - you need a good ball and good shoes. Anything beyond that has marginal returns for the most parts. But the return on investment going from house ball and rented shoes to a ball drill for you and your own proper fitting shoes is astronomical.

I don't know if this list works but here goes:

1) Approach/Balance
    2) Arm swing
    3) Ball speed
    4) Release
    5) Accuracy

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    What would they say downriver Aslan? That would be interesting.
    They'd just type in "Lets Go Red Wings" to be annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast