Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: corner pin spares set up

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Lets see I got my GF a new whitedot, driled with inserts for her last Birthday it was about 70-80$.

Most of the time around here around when the leagues are starting up. The pro shops have a ball & bag or ball, bag & shoe combo for 100 - 150$
    I got both my kids Brunswick Tzones last year with bag and shoes for $140 for both. Inserts and slug would have been an extra $15 each so $170 for 2 would be $85 each for shoes bag ball inserts and slug.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Hampe View Post
    Also, spare balls cost 45$.....not 125.
    http://www.bowlingball.com/products/...ack-White.html
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    When you add in drilling, thumb slug, and finger inserts. The $125 price is not far off. Typically drilling is in the $60-70 range, all depends in the area you live.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Lets see I got my GF a new whitedot, driled with inserts for her last Birthday it was about 70-80$.
    If I were to go down that road; the 3 balls I've looked at are:

Motiv Arctic Sniper: $95 on bowlingball.com, I could probably get it for $145-$165 drilled from the pro shop.
    Columbia WD: $53-$58 + $25 shipping online, I could probably get it for $125 drilled from the local pro shop.
    Storm Mix: $60 on bowlingball.com, I could probably get it for $125-$145 drilled from the pro shop.

I think I can also get a NFL Vis-a-Ball for like $89.95 on BowlerX...free shipping, probably another $45 to drill it...so that would be $134.99.

So yeah, cheapest option...a $53 WD + $45 drilled = $98 + tax

Remember, it's not just the cost of the ball...I got 10 balls in my closet...it's the $450 in drilling (and the lack of need) that keeps them there.

And I know people on this site get "wired" when people don't automatically take their advice...but like I said, I am not ruling out a plastic ball as an option to improve my spare game. I just have some elements I need to fix before making that move will be optimized. It's not the $125...or the space in my bag...or stubbornness...it's just a "work in progress". All advice appreciated and considered and perhaps will even be acted on at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    If I were to go down that road; the 3 balls I've looked at are:

Motiv Arctic Sniper: $95 on bowlingball.com, I could probably get it for $145-$165 drilled from the pro shop.
    Columbia WD: $53-$58 + $25 shipping online, I could probably get it for $125 drilled from the local pro shop.
    Storm Mix: $60 on bowlingball.com, I could probably get it for $125-$145 drilled from the pro shop.

I think I can also get a NFL Vis-a-Ball for like $89.95 on BowlerX...free shipping, probably another $45 to drill it...so that would be $134.99.

So yeah, cheapest option...a $53 WD + $45 drilled = $98 + tax

Remember, it's not just the cost of the ball...I got 10 balls in my closet...it's the $450 in drilling (and the lack of need) that keeps them there.

And I know people on this site get "wired" when people don't automatically take their advice...but like I said, I am not ruling out a plastic ball as an option to improve my spare game. I just have some elements I need to fix before making that move will be optimized. It's not the $125...or the space in my bag...or stubbornness...it's just a "work in progress". All advice appreciated and considered and perhaps will even be acted on at some point.
    Deffinetly understand the financial part. Lot of difference in the pricing from area to area I guess I'm pretty sure I could get a white dot drilled slugged and everything for $70 on the high side tax and all

Current arsenal

When you buy a ball from a proshop, the price should include drilling. To pay retail, even a league-discounted retail, and still be charged for drilling is hiway robbery!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    When you buy a ball from a proshop, the price should include drilling. To pay retail, even a league-discounted retail, and still be charged for drilling is hiway robbery!
    Exactly! Thats why I said $125. I think I saw a TZone for like $85 in the pro shop and that would include basic drilling. I can find them cheaper online...but then you have to pay $45 to drill them.

It depends on the pro shop how they do it. For example,

- Pro Shop A at my home center, prices are slightly marked up and that includes drilling.
    - Pro Shop B (Mike W's), the prices are pretty much what you'd get online and he adds $45 for drilling.
    - Pro Shop C, their balls are marked up QUITE a bit (lots of Track and Ebonite stuff...prices in the upper 200s to 300 not uncommon) AND I think they charge $50 to drill it.

For me, I buy discontinued balls on clearance online...about $70-$80 shipped. I then pay Mike $45 + inserts to drill them. For something NOT discontinued....like a plastic spare ball...I'd probably just buy it from the local pro shop to keep the business in the pro shop/house...and I'd probably get it and get it drilled for less than what I'd get it for online and then bring it in to have it drilled...or at least very close ($1-$15).

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Exactly! Thats why I said $125. I think I saw a TZone for like $85 in the pro shop and that would include basic drilling. I can find them cheaper online...but then you have to pay $45 to drill them.

It depends on the pro shop how they do it. For example,

- Pro Shop A at my home center, prices are slightly marked up and that includes drilling.
    - Pro Shop B (Mike W's), the prices are pretty much what you'd get online and he adds $45 for drilling.
    - Pro Shop C, their balls are marked up QUITE a bit (lots of Track and Ebonite stuff...prices in the upper 200s to 300 not uncommon) AND I think they charge $50 to drill it.

For me, I buy discontinued balls on clearance online...about $70-$80 shipped. I then pay Mike $45 + inserts to drill them. For something NOT discontinued....like a plastic spare ball...I'd probably just buy it from the local pro shop to keep the business in the pro shop/house...and I'd probably get it and get it drilled for less than what I'd get it for online and then bring it in to have it drilled...or at least very close ($1-$15).
    $300 for a ball man I need to go to CA and get in the ball drilling business. There is not a single ball that can't be had here for less than $225 most 150ish and could pick up a lot of stuff $100 everything included.

Current arsenal

Got my Ebonite Maxim spare for $75 cash including drilling with finger inserts from Barry at Fountain Bowl. Hard to beat that deal.
    Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums
    14's Deadly Aim, First Blood, HyRoad Pearl, Tropical Breeze, Rising Star, Maxim Spare

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Got my Ebonite Maxim spare for $75 cash including drilling with finger inserts from Barry at Fountain Bowl. Hard to beat that deal.
    Thats pretty good actually.

I was at a cool pro shop yesterday getting my ball surfaced and I noticed a Columbia Benchmark for like $175 and I'm thinking, "That ball has been discontinued for AWHILE....I can get it for like $70...and it's not even that good of a ball! I think the Asylum was about $185.

It really does vary from shop to shop.
    Last edited by Aslan; 07-31-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Columbia WD and T-Zones at my local shop for $60 drilled

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456