Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: corner pin spares set up

Default corner pin spares set up

best way for right hander to cover the 7 and 10 pins? walk toward target?

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I always throw cross lanes over the middle arrow!!

shooting at the 10 pin i use a plastic spare ball, step 5boards left and throw at my same mark, as long as i hit that mark i cover. for the seven pin i keep my feet in the same spot as my strike ball, and move my mark to adjust, this may be 10-15 boards for some. if you do not have plastic spare ball, i pull ring finger out of ball, step 5 boards left and suitcase the ball to remove as much axis rotation as possible. for 7 pin i move and crank my ball as hard as i can while throwing a 6 mph ball and use the up the 2nd arrow line. given lane surface is a ths.
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    You go cross lane with a straight ball, it gives you the highest margin of error and takes the lane conditions out of it.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-23-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Cross alley at the 10 pin for sure. I use an old, worn out, light reactive and flatten my shot out a little, it behaves the same as a plastic. On a THS I usually just hook my strike ball across the lane to get the 7. I start my ball a little lower to shave off 1 mph or so and throw it up the 5 board with my normal amount of revs. Hooks right in :P

for non THS/sport though you'll want to throw plastic or a minimal hooking ball straight at the pin. I hook at the 7 on THS simply because I can hit it 95% of the time. In practice games I work on throwing it straight to get better at that option.

edit: what bowl1820 said!

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I walk straight (normal footwork) with my shoulder more open, for the 10-pin, across lane @ 18-20 board, with a plastic ball. Find what works best for you, but walking TOWARD your target could get you in trouble. IMHO

The 7-pin on THS can be done with strike ball, moving feet right and shooting same target, or across lane with plastic ball, or more direct say from 20 across 25 or so. Practice a few ways to determine what works for your footwork, style and comfort level.

From experience...I would suggest, practice all you've read about, PICK ONE WAY and stick to it for awhile, before you start "experimenting" too much.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

If you really want to get good at picking up your corner pin spares, learn to use a plastic ball, thrown straight end-over-end for ALL of your single pin spares. Yes I know that it is initially easier and more comfortable to cover the four pin or seven pin (for a right handed bowler) by using your strike ball and hooking at them, but when you do that, the ten pin and six pin become the out of the ordinary spares to cover. Once you get comfortable going straight with plastic at all of your single pin spares, then the ten pin becomes just another spare and no big deal.

As far as angles go, the main thing to avoid is the track area on the right side of the lane for the simple reason that so many players play there that it is usually a high friction area, that will even affect a plastic ball if it is not thrown perfectly end over end. For this reason, I recommend standing far left and going over the fourth arrow to target the ten pin, but standing more in the center part of the lane to cover the four pin and seven pin. Try to walk straight, keeping in mind that a little drift toward your target won't kill you, particularly on left side spares, as long as it is consistent. Walking straight is much more important on right side spares as it can get you too close to the track area and threaten your accuracy.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    If you really want to get good at picking up your corner pin spares, learn to use a plastic ball, thrown straight end-over-end for ALL of your single pin spares. Yes I know that it is initially easier and more comfortable to cover the four pin or seven pin (for a right handed bowler) by using your strike ball and hooking at them, but when you do that, the ten pin and six pin become the out of the ordinary spares to cover. Once you get comfortable going straight with plastic at all of your single pin spares, then the ten pin becomes just another spare and no big deal.

As far as angles go, the main thing to avoid is the track area on the right side of the lane for the simple reason that so many players play there that it is usually a high friction area, that will even affect a plastic ball if it is not thrown perfectly end over end. For this reason, I recommend standing far left and going over the fourth arrow to target the ten pin, but standing more in the center part of the lane to cover the four pin and seven pin. Try to walk straight, keeping in mind that a little drift toward your target won't kill you, particularly on left side spares, as long as it is consistent. Walking straight is much more important on right side spares as it can get you too close to the track area and threaten your accuracy.
    so to throw a end over end ball, you need to, ( as Iceman does, release the ball with the palm UP, right!?) I don't know any other way! I have been doing this and my pick up on the 10 pin has improved a bunch!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

What works for me is to throw a back-up ball. It doesn't actually back up, but it does thump over the thumb hole. When I hear the thump, I know I've thrown it perfectly.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    What works for me is to throw a back-up ball. It doesn't actually back up, but it does thump over the thumb hole. When I hear the thump, I know I've thrown it perfectly.
    It depends on lane conditions I still haven't got my spare ball yet. I know I need too!. If conditions are fresh I throw whole roller at them just straight up the back of the ball. If conditions are dry or worn in I will throw the backup ball I can make mine move a little right and then straighten out.

My palm isn't up with either but if it's working for you Ice don't change it.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast