Thread: What technique is best for small statured bowlers?

Question What technique is best for small statured bowlers?

I am about 5.5 feet tall and have relatively short arms with stubby fingers. The pro shop owners are exceptionally nice and are encourage me to allow the ball to roll off my thumb and use my fingers to roll the ball. This technique allows the arm to generate power (keeping the ball behind the hand) and the fingers to make the final adjustments for rotation. I cannot figure out how to roll the ball to release the thumb hole without chucking it. This problem is further complicated by my foot technique, which should be coordinated with the upper body and is currently described as an uncoordinated bull charging. Does anyone recommend a different technique for smaller bowlers? Should I continue practicing my current method?

Thank you for your advice,
    Pin_Pals
    Bowling ball: 14 lb Ebonite Maxim Red/Orange/Yellow, Worst game 46, Best game 141, Overall average about 83, League average 81.5.

honestly there is no perfect technique that is a one size fits all, or designed for tall people, short people, skinny people, or fat people. there are several fundamentals that we have discussed in other threads including things such as
    timing
    consistency
    mental control
    accuracy

no matter how pretty or ugly your technique is do what works for YOU. we have a guy named Hoppy who is right handed and throws off his right foot, imagine how ugly that approach is, yet he averages high 180s and i have seen him roll a 290. you don't have to throw like a pro to score like a pro, do what works for you and just focus on putting X's on the board.
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneshu87 View Post
    who is right handed and throws off his right foot, imagine how ugly that approach is, yet he averages high 180s
    We have several bowlers that bowl on the wrong foot right handers
    bowling on their right foot and left handers bowling on their left foot
    and they do alright on average about high 170's to mid 180's.

As said before there is no perfect way to bowl you just have to find
    some style that works for you and practice, practice, and practice it
    until you can do it over and over the same way every time.

Take PBA player Wayne Garber for instance he really has the most
    unorthodox approach that you will ever see but he makes it work for
    him somehow, anyway here he is bowling.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Have you checked to see if there is anyone giving lessons at your bowling center? Like the other guys said, there is no wrong way to bowl. In fact, the first pba tournament was won by a guy named lou campi whose nickname was wrong foot because he slid on his right foot and was right handed. Consistency with what you do is the key.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    Have you checked to see if there is anyone giving lessons at your bowling center? Like the other guys said, there is no wrong way to bowl. In fact, the first pba tournament was won by a guy named lou campi whose nickname was wrong foot because he slid on his right foot and was right handed. Consistency with what you do is the key.
    If you can get some lessons from someone. As stated above there is no wrong way to bowl but it is a lot more difficult to master unless you have ways of compensating for the ways you are unorthodox.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 39

There may not be a "wrong" way to bowl, but some movements are much more easily repeated than others, and in a game where consistency is at a premium, you want to have the most easily repeatable shot you can. That's why it makes sense to have a coach take a look at what you're doing, and hopefully correct anything you are doing that might make it harder to consistently repeat your shot.
    Company League Average: 198.1
    City League Average: 186.5
    WTBA Sport pattern League Average: 172.9
    Current Arsenal: Roto Grip Nomad Pearl, Wrecker, and Hyper Cell; Track 920A and 505A; Storm Tropical Breeze; Plastic Spare Ball

I could not bowl as well trying to bowl like anyone else than me. That does not mean you bowl wrong and vice versa. I think good coaches try to look at what you do well and build upon that and change certain things. Also, maybe someone only has the desire to get to a 130 average and feels comfortable throwing it overhand. I think a coaches job is to get that person to the level they desire with possibility of improvement and that does not always mean completely tearing there game down.

Chats: 0

All I can say is study how Ryan "Rhino" Page throws the ball. He's 5'4 and has one of the most powerful deliveries I have ever seen. It might help to look at YouTube videos that show his approach mirrored, so it looks like he's throwing right handed.

Chats: 0

Yeah, I'm 5'6" with short, stubby fingers, and I've often wondered if the taller people generate more speed due to longer arm swing, and if I've subconsciously compensated in some way. I've always had issues with hitting power.