Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Novel Concept/Idea: The Bowling ball does not matter??

Chats: 204

@ Amyers

The other Encounter is just as polished as the Slingshot. If it was simply that the Pearls weren't burning out too early...I'd see even more reaction out of them.

I'm not sure how I feel about the "losing energy/burning out" thing. I understand the concept, but personally I've not seen it in my game.

Again, if you have higher revs...a stronger surface will cause that ball to start using those revs sooner...maybe sooner than you want...and you get that burning out effect. But without those revs...the surface (for me) only seems to change when the ball starts making a slight turn into the pocket. And the Pearls seem to all take too long to do that. I don't have the revs to generate the "snap" once the Pearls hit friction.

The more aggressive surface won't give me any more "snap"....but it'll hopefully five me a different angle into the pocket. Right now, having both Encounters with the same surface is rather a waste of space in my bag....since they react in virtually identical ways. Putting surface on one might give me enough of a different reaction to justify carrying them both.

Chats: 32

I don't know. I know there are differences in our games but at my ball speed and revs if I get equipment with too much surface it just burns up and hits like a turd. I have never thrown well with equipment below 2000
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

Final Comparison:

I took the more aggressively drilled Encounter to a pro shop and had it brought down to 500 Abralon and then I scuffed it up with some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I then took the ball to the lanes to see if this surface change would affect the ball….which up until this point, despite the more aggressive drilling layout, was virtually identical to the less aggressively drilled Encounter.

Results:
    Outside Line:

Previous: R1:T7
    Now: L2:T9

This means that the surface gained me about 1 board. Previously I was laying it down about 9-board, crossing over 7-board at the arrows. I was now laying it down about 12-board and crossing the arrows at the 9-board. As far as scores; I was able to score a 169 versus a 133 previously. Less splits, a smoother arc into the pocket as it read the lanes earlier rather than relying on a "snap" at the end.

Middle Line:

Previous: L3:T10
    Now: L6:T11

This line is where I saw the most difference; gaining 2 boards. Previously I was laying down about 13-board and crossing the arrows at the 2nd arrow. With the new surface, I was laying the ball down at about the 16-board and crossing the arrows at the 11-board. Scored a 174 versus a 146 previously.

Inside Line:

Previous: L14:T17
    Now: L11:T16

This line still gave me trouble…and actually I "lost" reaction with the surface change in terms of boards, losing 2 boards of overall hook. I'm not sure why that happened, but this line requires me to alter my release to add revs to the ball so it may just be a product of the inconsistent shot. Previously I was laying the ball down at about the 24-board and crossing the arrows at about the 17-board. With the new surface I was laying the ball down just left of center and crossing the arrows at about the 16-board. And here the scores went backwards, rolling a 134 previously and now only managing a 117. Just really had a hard time striking on this line.

I'll be shooting some more side-by-side video to compliment the video I already shot which hopefully will show a more marked difference post surface change. Overall, I'm happy with the new surface as I think it gives me a little different look than the other Encounter…something I would use if I was forced into a middle or inside line. I still prefer the less "jumpy" < agg. drilled Encounter for my usual 7-8 board shot up the outside…but I'd prefer this other Encounter once I abandon the outside line to find more oil.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Final Comparison:

I took the more aggressively drilled Encounter to a pro shop and had it brought down to 500 Abralon and then I scuffed it up with some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I then took the ball to the lanes to see if this surface change would affect the ball….which up until this point, despite the more aggressive drilling layout, was virtually identical to the less aggressively drilled Encounter.

Results:
    Outside Line:

Previous: R1:T7
    Now: L2:T9

This means that the surface gained me about 1 board. Previously I was laying it down about 9-board, crossing over 7-board at the arrows. I was now laying it down about 12-board and crossing the arrows at the 9-board. As far as scores; I was able to score a 169 versus a 133 previously. Less splits, a smoother arc into the pocket as it read the lanes earlier rather than relying on a "snap" at the end.

Middle Line:

Previous: L3:T10
    Now: L6:T11

This line is where I saw the most difference; gaining 2 boards. Previously I was laying down about 13-board and crossing the arrows at the 2nd arrow. With the new surface, I was laying the ball down at about the 16-board and crossing the arrows at the 11-board. Scored a 174 versus a 146 previously.

Inside Line:

Previous: L14:T17
    Now: L11:T16

This line still gave me trouble…and actually I "lost" reaction with the surface change in terms of boards, losing 2 boards of overall hook. I'm not sure why that happened, but this line requires me to alter my release to add revs to the ball so it may just be a product of the inconsistent shot. Previously I was laying the ball down at about the 24-board and crossing the arrows at about the 17-board. With the new surface I was laying the ball down just left of center and crossing the arrows at about the 16-board. And here the scores went backwards, rolling a 134 previously and now only managing a 117. Just really had a hard time striking on this line.

I'll be shooting some more side-by-side video to compliment the video I already shot which hopefully will show a more marked difference post surface change. Overall, I'm happy with the new surface as I think it gives me a little different look than the other Encounter…something I would use if I was forced into a middle or inside line. I still prefer the less "jumpy" < agg. drilled Encounter for my usual 7-8 board shot up the outside…but I'd prefer this other Encounter once I abandon the outside line to find more oil.
    That's interesting looks like you gained three with the feet and two at your target of course this could have been just differences in the oil since they were shot on different days.

I'm pretty sure if I tried to throw something with that much surface it would hit like a wet paper bag. So it's interesting that you can.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

A couple of years ago I watched a league bowler practice before league. First he bowled a two-forty-something game using a Taboo spare ball: plastic cover with an aggressive core. Next, he started a game with a Storm Sync, playing the same line, and added more surface because the ball was not hooking enough for him! He could not tell that the ball was so aggressive that it was burning up and going straighter. Stop trying to gauge everything on how many boards a ball covers with a particular drilling and/or a particular surface. As I've said many times before, every ball hooks the same amount, some just hook earlier (cover more boards) and some hook later (cover fewer boards). It's the ball that carries the corner pins for you that "matches up." It's not the one that will get you to the pocket playing the line that you decide you want to play. The lanes are like our wives: you'd better do what THEY tell you to do, or you will find yourself in a world of hurt!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    A couple of years ago I watched a league bowler practice before league. First he bowled a two-forty-something game using a Taboo spare ball: plastic cover with an aggressive core. Next, he started a game with a Storm Sync, playing the same line, and added more surface because the ball was not hooking enough for him! He could not tell that the ball was so aggressive that it was burning up and going straighter. Stop trying to gauge everything on how many boards a ball covers with a particular drilling and/or a particular surface. As I've said many times before, every ball hooks the same amount, some just hook earlier (cover more boards) and some hook later (cover fewer boards). It's the ball that carries the corner pins for you that "matches up." It's not the one that will get you to the pocket playing the line that you decide you want to play. The lanes are like our wives: you'd better do what THEY tell you to do, or you will find yourself in a world of hurt!
    Good point Rob!! Iceman Always does what he is told by Snow Flake!!! ( my wife)! This burning up thing, vs polish or high grit surface seems to be a KEY component it getting good carry!

I swear to the Gods, that 2 years ago when I was first getting started in bowing,,, (the early years),,, I was at Strike and Spare AMF,, I threw 9,,,, NINE 10 pin leaves, in a role!!!!! (:/

You ask why,,, the guys I was bowing with said: "keep doing the same thing, the oil will break down, and you will start getting carry!"

I have been given that advice MANY times since.... if you have what LOOKS like a great pocket shoot entry, "DON"T change a thing!"

Its all stariting to make a little more sense,,, many variables to deal with when trying to get on top of CARRY, and the 10 pin !
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Novel Concept/Idea: The Bowing ball does not matter???

Maybe in your case it doesn't!!! LOL Isn't that a shame, a closet full of bowling balls, and in your case, they might all as well be the rubber ball bats! (
    The Concept, just might be true in some bowlers case!

Iceman will be ridding his bike, with a trailer full of balls... this early fall,,, maybe around my birthday sept 24! Would be a great ride to Vegas!! Then we shall meet Aslan!

Maybe Iceman can do what no other coach can do, including Rob! You need more then mere coaching.... you need the" ICEMAN secrets to successful Bowling Techniques, for the un-coachable!" It will be out in book form soon at a liquor stores near you!

THE LOOK OF UN-Coachable below! Rob,,, you KNOW THIS LOOK!!! Lights are on, but no one HOME!

Last edited by MICHAEL; 08-01-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    That's interesting looks like you gained three with the feet and two at your target of course this could have been just differences in the oil since they were shot on different days.

I'm pretty sure if I tried to throw something with that much surface it would hit like a wet paper bag. So it's interesting that you can.
    Those are some interesting analogies, Amyers! I gotta wonder: have you ever tried to hit the pins with a turd or a wet paper bag? I just have this sorta sick curiosity here... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    Maybe in your case it doesn't!!! LOL Isn't that a shame, a closet full of bowling balls, and in your case, they might all as well be the rubber ball bats! (
    The Concept, just might be true in some bowlers case!

Iceman will be ridding his bike, with a trailer full of balls... this early fall,,, maybe around my birthday sept 24! Would be a great ride to Vegas!! Then we shall meet Aslan!

Maybe Iceman can do what no other coach can do, including Rob! You need more then mere coaching.... you need the" ICEMAN secrets to successful Bowling Techniques, for the un-coachable!" It will be out in book form soon at a liquor stores near you!

THE LOOK OF UN-Coachable below! Rob,,, you KNOW THIS LOOK!!! Lights are on, but no one HOME!

Take a video camera. I'd like to see the attempted spanking thereof... morbid curiosity, y'know...

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    You're being a good coach, Rob! This is a new way of explaining it (at least to me). I've never heard someone say "Play to what carries the corner pins." I usually hear, "Play to the line that will get you to the pocket." But looking back at the PBA vids where guys switch balls, they don't switch because their line is burnt out. They switch balls because they're leaving corner pins. And I assume they're leaving corner pins because their balls are bleeding energy off the particular oil breakdown.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast