Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Novel Concept/Idea: The Bowling ball does not matter??

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Calm down, Aslan.
    Sorry…but after 6 straight weeks of not bowling over 500 on league night…I mean, I'm at my wits end.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Here's what you do. Start with your most comfortable line, for example, stand 20 and look 10. Throw a shot and watch the result. Next, move five and five right; stand 15 and look 5. Throw a shot and watch the result. Next, stand 25 and look 15. Throw a shot and watch the result. When you see the ball that has the motion that you're looking for, adjust off of that line, changing angles slightly until you can carry the corner pins. If, for instance, you stand 20 and look ten, and you hit a little high and leave a four, then move to 22, looking 11, etc. You can't just arbitrarily start playing a line because you want to. I doesn't work that way. See what the lanes have to give you, and go from there.
    Okay, I'll give it a shot…but let me throw this scenario at you using that concept and see what YOUD do.

Shot 1 (lane 1): I stand 25 and shoot over 11. It strikes.

Shot 2 (lane 2): I throw the same line on the other lane and it goes through the head leaving me a 4-6 split.

Shot 3 (lane 1): I move right, standing center and throwing up the 6…it catches the dry and goes through the center leaving me a 7-10.

Shot 4 (lane 2): Same shot, other lane, I come in light and leave the single 4-pin.

Shot 5 (lane 1): Now I'm standing at 30 and targeting 16; it goes completely right, doesn't come back…I take out the 6-9-10.

Shot 6 (lane 2): Same line, other lane, it makes it back but hits light and I leave the single 4-pin again.

Now, just hypothetical…but it seems like in that scenario…my first shot on lane 1…seemed closest. But on Lane 2, I went through the head with that shot, then hit light with the outside shot, then hit light and left the same pin with the inside shot.

My reaction would be to just play that first line (because it struck on lane 1) and just adjust laterally on lane 2…moving left a little with my feet…to compensate for a lane that seems to be reacting with the ball a bit more. But is that best choice?

One thing I've tried to do is watch the ball go through the pins…try to see if it's more to the left (8-pin) or the right (9-pin). I mean, I'm getting to the pocket…not fast (14mph)…and it seems like the ball is just not quite powerful enough and is deflecting more to the 9-pin side. But if I try to put a little more speed into it…it doesn't seem to want to break towards the pocket and just clips the head-pin leaving a single 2-pin or 2-5.

But it's been a frustrating month as I've watched ball after ball hit that pocket and leave 1-2 pins standing. Not really a 5-pin or 8-pin…so the ball is going through the pocket and hitting the 5 and going into the 8. But it's not driving THROUGH the 5 into that 8-9 space. At least thats what it seems like. I admit sometimes I forget to watch the ball after the shot or I lose track of it.

I'll try your advice if not Sunday then definitely Thursday. Our team is in the top 4 of 22 and playing another top 4 team next week. Crucial week if we want to have a shot at that trophy. And I can't keep throwing 140s-150s games. Earlier in the season my average was steadily increasing and was headed toward 175. Since then, it's dipped to almost 168.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

One of the things that I'm seeing a lot this summer, probably as a result of a combination of the new synthetic oils and the high humidity over the past few weeks, is a tremendous variation from lane to lane. It really helps when you can stop thinking about bowling on a "pair" of lanes. Pairs of shoes match. Pairs of socks match. Pairs of gloves match. Pairs of lanes rarely match. Personally, I often end up using two different balls on the two lanes. Once I find a shot on one lane, I'll stick to it, and see if I can find a ball that will let me play a similar shot on the other lane. Notice that I said similar, not the same. Just this past Tuesday night I shot 185-215-253 using a Meanstreak Brawler with very little surface on the left lane, standing 33 and playing a tight line to the pocket, and a Fortera Exile with a lot of surface on the right lane, standing 33 and swinging it out.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Man ice is on acid and Aslans either overdosing on espresso or meth.

Iceman has never did acid, unlike MAYBE MY good friend Aslan!! I kid him, he kids me,,, O,,, I only have one cup of coffee a day, but I hear Aslan drinks his coffee with two shots of the cheapest whisky he can find!

lighten up people,,, in reality we are Good Friends,,, don't you ever kid your buddies!!! Wow!!!
    \
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 11-12-2014 at 11:50 PM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Lets Do IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by rv driver View Post
    We need to get these two together and lock them up in a bowling alley with a 6-ball arsenal and a pitcher of beer each. They'd reach critical mass, and the resultant chain reaction would fuel sport bowling for the next century.
    I LIKE THAT IDEA sooooooooo much that I am seriously thinking about meeting ASLAN on my birthday this Sept, the 24th for a challenge in Vegas! Long trip for me, but just a short one form him. It would be a blast to Jump on my trusty Goldwing, hook up the trailer, and head out,,, Vegas in two days! What lanes would we bowl on ROB? Do you have both wood and synthetic in your home town?

I wouldn't mind bowling with both of you!

I guess I could google the bowling establishments in the Vegas area!

This needs to HAPPEN my Good Friend! Once and for all can you beat and old broken down (((then 66 year old???))))

A newbie to bowling in every sense of the word!!!!! With only 3 years of bowling under his belt??

YES It needs to be filmed for the annals, history, of bowling!! LOL

I should be able to get across the mountains before the snow and cold weather hits, especially if I go the southern route!!! I have been
    caught on my motorcycle before in October in light snow!! LIKE I HAVE always said,,,, Iceman does not LIKE SNOW,,, ice no problem! (

What are you doing September the 24th Asaln!!!

A date that just might change the spin of the Earth's Orbit!! Two warriors, meet,,,, ONE leaves with the GLORY!!!!

ICEMAN????

or

ASLAN the lion man!!

Although my average might be slightly higher then the Lion man's, he has a way of meeting THE the challenge! Ask Mike White about this anomaly!!
    YOUTH and knowledge far superior to mine, SCRATCH ASLAN,,, What do you say!!!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 08-02-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Well, I have a reservation in Laughlin on the 26th for sweeps…but if the infamous Iceman is willing to make that trip…I could probably re-arrange my schedule a bit and head to Vegas first…stay there the 24th, then check in early in Laughlin on the 25th.

See if I can't get lesson #2 from Rob while I'm out there…so yes Iceman…I'd be up for that challenge.

Now normally, I'd expect 28 pins handicap per game given I'm rolling in with a 170 average and only 1 year of experience versus a guy with 3 years of experience and a rumored 195-210 average. But, if it really IS his birthday…I mean, to live as long as he has is QUITE the accomplishment…I'd give him the 28 pins.

Now, if Rob joins in…I don't know what his average is…but he's an unofficial pro with 35 years of experience on his HOME LANES/conditions. He's either offering up some handicap or giving me a 50% reduced lesson cost…cuz I'm confident and all…and obviously a future USBC Senior Masters Champion…but at THIS POINT in my development…we have to be reasonable.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Well Rob, I did use your advice during my VBT Tour game today.

Ended up playing the 11-bard instead of the 8-board where I usually play.

Positives: I did strike more.

Negatives: Still couldn't play the inside (targeting 16) line. Sometimes got confused and aimed at the 8-board accidentally…which when you're standing at L6 and laying it down at the 4-board…with my low rev rate…you quickly realize something is wrong! Also, I never knew when I should "ball down" versus continuing to move laterally.

In my old system…I'd move 3 boards laterally and then switch my target left…and continue doing that for a certain number of moves…THEN ball down. But using this new system…I'm wondering..if you hit light on a good shot…leave a 10-pin or 6-10…do you move a board left? Or ball down? I'm assuming you move left for a certain number of times. But when do you switch your target versus balling down?

Confusing.

In terms of finding that initial line where you have the best carry, there are three types of moves to make. The one you ususually use is called a parallel adjustment. It includes moving left with your feet and your eyes. The most common parallel move is 2:1 (two left with your feet and one left with your eyes). You can also just use one move to adjust your angle. If you are coming in light, you can try keeping your eyes the same and moving a board or two right with your feet, or you can try keeping your feet where they are and moving a board or two left with your eyes.

In terms of balling down, I really think that many bowlers have begun abusing this idea as a way of limiting how far they have to move on the approach. The next time you are practicing, as you move left, try going to a more aggressive ball rather than a less aggressive ball. Lower rev bowlers often need more aggressive equipment as they move left to keep from "trying to get the ball back."

To try and find an initial line I always tried this and maybe that is part of my problem. I'm looking at this too narrowly.

Pattern Length -31. So I play on a 42 foot pattern I do 42-31 and get 11. That 11 board is where I want the ball to exit out of the pattern. So I line up so that I can throw it straight up the 11 board and see what happens. (say standing 18 throwing 11 for example) If I hit right of the pocket or come in light I make a 2 and 1 move to the right. (16:10 or 14:9 or 12:8 etc) If instead I go High to the pocket or hit on the left side of the pin deck, I make 2 and 1 moves to the left until I find the pocket. (20:12 or 22:13 or 24:14)

That is how I find my initial line.. but occasionally I'll find the pocket but not carry the corners.. and for that I usually adjust a board left or right keeping the same target.

I'm a new bowler so I don't think this should be taken as "advice" necessarily.. but I find it a system that kinda works for me to at least stop wandering the wilderness.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by bobforsaken View Post
    To try and find an initial line I always tried this and maybe that is part of my problem. I'm looking at this too narrowly.

Pattern Length -31. So I play on a 42 foot pattern I do 42-31 and get 11. That 11 board is where I want the ball to exit out of the pattern. So I line up so that I can throw it straight up the 11 board and see what happens. (say standing 18 throwing 11 for example) If I hit right of the pocket or come in light I make a 2 and 1 move to the right. (16:10 or 14:9 or 12:8 etc) If instead I go High to the pocket or hit on the left side of the pin deck, I make 2 and 1 moves to the left until I find the pocket. (20:12 or 22:13 or 24:14)

That is how I find my initial line.. but occasionally I'll find the pocket but not carry the corners.. and for that I usually adjust a board left or right keeping the same target.

I'm a new bowler so I don't think this should be taken as "advice" necessarily.. but I find it a system that kinda works for me to at least stop wandering the wilderness.
    One I think this formula is more for sport patters where there is no dry until you reach the end of the pattern (sport patterns are flat the oil goes from edge to edge THS patterns have dry already beyond ten board) so if you start the ball at eleven your starting the ball at the edge of the oil/dry on THS

Two this formula describes where your break point should be not necessarily where you should throw the ball. This formula is to help you understand where the ball should be to start hooking not which board you should be aiming at. You can get the ball to eleven at the breakpoint from almost anywhere on the lane.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Two this formula describes where your break point should be not necessarily where you should throw the ball. This formula is to help you understand where the ball should be to start hooking not which board you should be aiming at. You can get the ball to eleven at the breakpoint from almost anywhere on the lane.
    It makes sense what you said about sport patterns and the initial formula. But I guess I thought that if I'm throwing it up the 11 board and its hooking before the end of the pattern I'm not exiting the pattern at the 11 board and therefore going high. I make a 2 and 1 left (which is still AIMING towards that 11 board at the end of the pattern) to stay in more oil and prevent the early hook. If its still hooking before the end of the pattern, then its still going high. Make another 2 and 1 left and stay in more oil longer.. etc etc. Lather rinse repeat until the ball doesn't hook too early and exits the pattern at the 11 board (or there abouts)

Where am I going wrong with my thinking of how that system is supposed to work? In this example a higher rev player playing more like 30:17 to 40:22 where a stroker like me plays somewhere between 16:10 through 22:13 (depending on oil conditions obviously.)
    Last edited by bobforsaken; 09-06-2014 at 06:57 AM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast