Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Novel Concept/Idea: The Bowling ball does not matter??

Chats: 204

Post Novel Concept/Idea: The Bowling ball does not matter??

Okay….so this past year…in addition to learning everything I could about bowling…I've become fascinated with bowling balls and their specifications and how the physics behind the bowling balls causes them to behave. I'm like Chris Barnes except better looking and not nearly as good at bowling.

Anyhoo…today I conducted an experiment…thats not totally conclusive yet…but;

I had two balls (same ball, manufacture, model, weight) drilled differently. The idea behind this was to create one ball that had a very angular back end…that could go long and "snap" while the other ball still had an angular back end…but not so dramatic.

Well, preliminary results are….there is either very, very minimal difference…OR…the one drilled less aggressively actually hooks more.

No, this was only phase one of the test. The more aggressive ball has not yet been resurfaced…I'm going to bring it down to a 500 abralon level and that will be the final "say" in the matter. And it MUST be noted that my rev rate is quite low…those with higher rev rates are likely to see more variation in drilling differences.

So tonight, at practice…I did another experiment… I decided to take all FIVE of the bowling balls in my arsenal and bowl a game with each one…one game "outside" (up the 6-8 boards), one game "middle" (standing just left of center and throwing towards the 10-12 boards), and one game playing "inside" (standing about 5 boards in from the left gutter and throwing up the center arrow area)…

The idea behind this experiment is simple; IF balls and their specifications and surfaces and drillings make a significant difference…THEN I should see some of these balls do well in one area and not another and I should see balls that require different standing locations in order to hit the pocket.

Well, I didn't make it all the way through the test…3/5 through the middle and didn't get to start on the "inside" test…but here's the rather interesting data from the "outside" test:

KEY: (R1/L1- R and L denote right and left and the number denotes how many boards from center where the left foot is placed) ("T"#- denotes the target board # with numbering starting from the right side of the lane.)

Hammer Rhythm: R1:T7
    Storm Frantic: R0.5:T8
    Brunswick Slingshot: R1:T7
    Columbia300 Encounter (Agg. Drill): R1:T7
    Columbia300 Encounter (Less Agg. Drill): L0.5:T7

As you can see from the results…for 3 of the 5 balls…throwing them up the 7-board…at similar speeds and revolutions…resulted in the same result of hitting the pocket. Now, they may have taken slightly different "tracks" to get to the pocket…but generally they all ended up having the same overall reaction.

The Storm Frantic seemed to hook the most at the 7-board so I had to move in to the 8-board…but generally it was pretty close to the others. And the most "aggressive hooking" ball in the experiment seemed to be the Encounter with the less aggressive drill layout…it was the only one that made me move just left of center (with my left foot)…but again…we're 1 board!

So how can this BE!?? How can 5 very different balls…when rolled the same way at the same speed along the same line ALL hit the pocket!!?

Here are the "specifications" on the balls listed above. As you can see…"on paper" the difference between the Encounter and the Slingshot…is fairly significant. They share pearl coverstocks, but are otherwise completely different. And the Hammer Rhythm has a solid coverstock and should have reacted much differently to the lanes…but it really didn't.

Hammer Rhythm: solid cover stock, symmetric core, 2.48 RG, 0.045 diff., (211.3 PerfectScale).
    Storm Frantic: hybrid cover stock, symmetric core, 2.53 RG, 0.045 diff., (189.5 PerfectScale).
    Brunswick Slingshot: pearl cover stock, symmetric core, 2.594 RG, 0.017 diff., (157.6 PerfectScale).
    Columbia300 Encounter(s): pearl cover stocks, assymetric cores, 2.50 RG, 0.052 diff., (203.8 PerfectScale).

Now…like I said, they did take slightly different paths into the pocket. The Rhythm tended to start hooking earlier, making a rather "lazy" roll into the pocket. The Pearls all went longer and then made a more drastic turn. The Frantic was in between.

So…DID the balls behave as the specs would lead one to behave?? YES. The pearls went longer. The highest RG went longest. The lowest RG started hooking soonest. The highest Diff. had the most "flare". BUT…BUT!! Even though all these little things happened…it didn't CHANGE ANYTHING. The balls all essentially left my hand, traveled over the 7-board at the arrows…and found their way to the pocket.

Any surprises?? Honestly…the SLINGSHOT was the biggest surprise. It seemed to have more flare than a 0.017 diff. would lead one to believe. What about scores and pin carry? See below:

Rhythm: 170; 3 strikes. (1 split)
    Frantic: 153; 0 strikes. (1 split)
    Slingshot: 190; 4 strikes. (1 split)
    Encounter (> Agg.): 133; 3 strikes. (3 splits)
    Encounter (< Agg.): 194; 5 strikes. (2 splits)

As was expected, the Encounters were more difficult to control…asymmetric cores, drilled to be aggressive and more angular/less controllable. So when they missed, the tended to leave messy splits. The Rhythm and Slingshot sometimes hit weak but left make-able spares. The Frantic I had to adjust more than the other balls. It seemed to hook too much at the 7-board so that score and lack of striking was partly due to having to adjust more. It was also the only ball NOT at 16lbs.

So, for most…this is the longest and most boring thing ever. For some…merely an exercise in futility because they simply see my rev rate and expect just about any ball not to move much. But thought it was interesting. Because when it's all said and done…I have a 5-ball arsenal that when thrown along the same board from nearly the same spot…all hit the pocket.

And the "middle" experiment (thus far)…even more interesting…3 balls tested…ALL 3 same foot position…same target.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 0

Interesting, but not unexpected. The houseshot does minimize differences, especially in the target when you are near the oil line. For any given oil pattern and lane, you can find a line ot the pocket. The bigger question is will a given ball roll through the pins properly/better. Or have a bit more miss room. Overall, one would expect the bowler's release and the lane conditions (topography and oil pattern) to set the line to the pocket and that would only vary a few boards for changes in bowling balls.

Chats: 221

As you continue your experiment you will see bigger differences between the balls as you move more into the oil. This will show up more with the Encounter due to the strength of the core and cover of that ball. Describe your drillings between the two balls. Using my own arsenal as an example, playing straighter outside there is only about a 5 board difference with my feet between my Disturbed,Primal Rage, Venom Shock, Tribal, IQ Tour Pearl andvenom Shock have basically the same layout. Fusion, Deranged, Rising Star and Ascent PEARL. All of these with the exception of the Venom Shock and Ascent have basically the same layout. Pin to PAP of 4.5", drill angles of 45-60 degrees and a VAL angle of 35 degrees. As I move into the oil the differences become dramatic. Just using the Primal Rage and Tribal ( same cover, different core) when I move in if I'm striking with the PR if I throw the Tribal the same line I hit the 3 pin verses the pocket. If I throw the Ascent I hit the 6 pin. When playing outside the Didturbed,Pr and VS will hit flat because they "burn up" and loose energy. The Tribal will go through the pins " too hard" and leave a lot of 4-9's.

Chats: 32

I can't say that I'm surprised about the drillings I think that is way over rated. I'm a little surprised that balls were so similar but I would put that at 2 factors.

1. THS your walled at both sides so your not going to see as much difference as you might expect also you reported they were going in the pocket. What is your definition of a pocket hit? If you take the lightest possible hit and take out the head pin and the full on down the middle we are talking about 8-10 boards in the pocket if we are being that vague with it.

2. I think the outside lack of oil is playing a little roll here the little bit of revs you do have are just burning up not sure even when you move in if we are really going to see that much difference.

Did you try any of these with your cupped wrist more loft style. would be interesting to see if the additional revs caused the differences to stand out.

On the ball drilling I'm off the opinion that the most you are going to change is a board or two between drillings and that is less than most bowlers operating error anyway.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by JJKinGA View Post
    Interesting, but not unexpected. The houseshot does minimize differences,
    It will be interesting to see if bigger differences are noted on the Sport patterns. I play the Wolf Sunday...so, that should be an adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    As you continue your experiment you will see bigger differences between the balls as you move more into the oil.
    Thats why I'm going to do the same experiment at all 3 tracks (outside, middle, and inside). I'd say, early results are leading to the opinion that with a rev rate < 250...thats probably the main reason I see no difference between all 5 balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    What is your definition of a pocket hit?
    I was counting a "pocket hit" as anything that hit between the 1 and 3-pin. So I didn't count shots through the head or brooklyn. But yes, I counted straight and light hits as pocket hits...they are "technically" pocket hits...the lighter ones had less pin carry than the more solid ones...of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Did you try any of these with your cupped wrist more loft style. would be interesting to see if the additional revs caused the differences to stand out.
    I actually DID try and throw one of the Encounters 5 frames with my old higher loft/speed style. It didn't change anything other than decreasing accuracy. The additional revs are being couter-acted by the additional speed and loft of the shot. I don't know if there's some chart out there or not...but for me..

Lets say;
    14mph shot, 160 rpms. (6-7ft projection)
    21mph shot, 275 rpms. (12-15ft loft)

The only way I've been able to increase rev rate without screwing with the speed/loft is to sort of "flip" the ball...where I keep the lower speed....but sort of "flip" the ball off my wrist...almost like a thumbless style where your hand is under the ball and you're just "spinning" it. That is likely going to be the only way for me to play a truly inside shot...but it doesn't help pin carry much because the speed is 13-14mph...even less at the pins.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Very interesting experiment. Part of the misconception about bowling balls, as we've discussed so often, is that bowlers actually think that one ball hooks more than another. It doesn't. It just hooks earlier. Your experiment verifies this. Now, the interesting thing is that less experienced bowlers think that the reason to use one ball over another is to get to the pocket. It isn't. The reason for choosing one ball over another is it's ability to carry the corners, particularly the ten pin once it gets to the pocket. Hopefully, your experiment will help bowlers to understand this. If you don't have a release that can create a lot of entry angle, then no ball with any layout imaginable is going to compensate for it. For every $200 spent on a bowling ball that is going to be the magic one that is going to hook for you, you can get four to six lessons, depending on the particular coaches rate, that will help you to learn to hook the ball yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Very interesting experiment. Part of the misconception about bowling balls, as we've discussed so often, is that bowlers actually think that one ball hooks more than another. It doesn't. It just hooks earlier. Your experiment verifies this. Now, the interesting thing is that less experienced bowlers think that the reason to use one ball over another is to get to the pocket. It isn't. The reason for choosing one ball over another is it's ability to carry the corners, particularly the ten pin once it gets to the pocket. Hopefully, your experiment will help bowlers to understand this. If you don't have a release that can create a lot of entry angle, then no ball with any layout imaginable is going to compensate for it. For every $200 spent on a bowling ball that is going to be the magic one that is going to hook for you, you can get four to six lessons, depending on the particular coaches rate, that will help you to learn to hook the ball yourself.
    Now THIS is something I can agree 100% with!!!

Realize, there is going to be some video coming of the initial experiment, ball drilling, and the initial test of the two balls in question.

However, given that there was absolutely no discernable difference between the 2...and given the recent experiement that I am in the middle of conducting...and the FOLLOW-UP experiment where I re-surface the more aggressive Encounter...I'm going to wait until I have some more footage and then do quite a bit of editing.

But just so everyone knows, there is going to be some video to accompany this experiment.
    Last edited by Aslan; 07-25-2014 at 04:10 PM.

I must say that when i'm on a tougher pattern my first concern is finding the pocket. If i can do that and at least flat 10 on a shot i can then try to adjust speed or release to then get the corners out. I guess it just comes down to how you approach a game plan.

Here is the rest of the data on the "middle" line and "outside" line:

KEY: (R1/L1- R and L denote right and left and the number denotes how many boards from center where the left foot is placed) ("T"#- denotes the target board # with numbering starting from the right side of the lane.)

Middle
    Hammer Rhythm: L4:T11
    Storm Frantic: L4:T11
    Brunswick Slingshot: L5:T11
    Columbia300 Encounter (Agg. Drill): L3:T10
    Columbia300 Encounter (Less Agg. Drill): L5:T11

Okay...so just like the outside line...very little difference going from ball to ball.

How bout scores/details?

Rhythm: 170; 4 strikes. (0 splits)
    Frantic: 168; 3 strikes. (1 split)
    Slingshot: 192; 7 strikes. (0 splits)
    Encounter (> Agg.): 146; 3 strikes. (0 splits)
    Encounter (< Agg.): 145; 2 strikes. (4 splits)

The biggest surprise here was that the Slingshot was actually the most aggressively reacting and best performning ball of the group. The <agg. drilled Encounter also had the same aggressive line but was the worst performing, mostly due to some problems if the shot went slightly left of target.

So, what about the INSIDE LINE!!? The ROB MAUTNER LINE!? Isn't THAT where we'd expect these fancy new pearl coverstock balls to show some real difference!!? Le't's see:

Inside
    Hammer Rhythm: L13:T18
    Storm Frantic: L12:T17
    Brunswick Slingshot: L15:T19
    Columbia300 Encounter (Agg. Drill): L14:T17
    Columbia300 Encounter (Less Agg. Drill): L15:T18

AGAIN...we see very little variation from ball to ball!!!

How bout scores/details?

Rhythm: 134; 2 strikes. (1 split)
    Frantic: 117; 0 strikes. (2 splits)
    Slingshot: 143; 3 strikes. (2 splits)
    Encounter (> Agg.): 134; 2 strikes. (2 splits)
    Encounter (< Agg.): 115; 0 strikes. (2 splits)

As you can see...the INSIDE line...is for the BIRDS in my opinion. At least birds that can put more than 250rpms on the ball. To play that line, I had to take off the wrist positioner, slow things down, and go back to my old ways of "trying" to add revs to the ball by tossing it a bit. There was just no way it would come back if I didn't. Thats another reason the scores are so low, I'd try my normal release in the beginning, watch the ball hit the 6-10 area...then adjust not only the line, but the release.

So there is the rest of the data. It clearly shows TWO things (in my opinion):

1) With my style, ball changes have relatively little effect. Nice to know now that I have a 4-ball roller bag!
    2) The OUTSIDE is my "A-Game" with the middle being a close 2nd and my "B-Game". The INSIDE is certainly a DISTANT 3rd and my "C-Game".

I'm not totally giving up on playing inside...with some work I might be able to find a better line than the ones I was using...perhaps targeting slightly left of center rather than right of center. And maybe as I improve my release...again, could be a better option. But right now...the outside and middle work...so thats where I'll focus.

As a Part III to this experiment, I am going to try to bring the more aggressively drilled ball down to 500 Abralon...and then try a comparison test between the two Encounters. If ANYTHING is going to create a difference...layout didn't seem to...I'm thinking the surface change has the best shot.

Chats: 32

Cant say I'm overly surprised here if you throw the ball up the back and without any cup of the wrist your just throwing a straight ball at the pocket as you move left your just making your target smaller. Until you develop additional revs its not going to matter on those inside lines.

Taking the ball down to 500 is going to make the situation worse the ball will just burn off the little bit of revs you have that much sooner. I feel this is why you are getting the better reaction out of the sling shot than you are your other pieces is the milder core with a highly polished surface allows your ball to retain the energy you have better. if I was going to change it go the other way try 4000 with a very high grit polish
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast