Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member From Tennessee

Default New Member From Tennessee

Hello everyone and thank you for having me. My name is David and I am a 31 year old married father of 2 boys ages 9 and 6. I started bowling in May 2013 with my kids after they convinced me to sign them up for kidsbowlfree.com and we got the family pass. When I started I was lucky if I could bowl over 100 and could not throw even a straight ball well. After the first month I bought my first bowling ball (12 Ib Ebonite Crush/R), shoes, and bag and a friend of mine started bowling with me also.

After a couple of months at 4 games a week I was averaging around 100 with a straight ball but I wanted to learn how to throw a hook. One day I noticed a teen throwing 2 handed and decided to give it a try. This taught me the fundamentals of throwing a hook but was too hard on my back and I quickly progressed to throwing a 1 hand no thumb hook and joined my first league, a fall mixed league with my buddy who started bowling with me where I set my starting average at 128 but quickly dropped to 118 in the first few weeks. I threw 1 handed with no thumb for a couple of months until I decided to try throwing with my thumb and using a Brunswick PowerKoil wrist guard. I also bought a number of different bowling balls over the course of my fall league trying to find one that was right for me. During my fall league I threw a 15Ib Hammer Spike but ended up giving it to my friend, a 14Ib Roto Grip Critical Theory I still have for heavy oil conditions, and finally a 13Ib DV8 Misfit Orange/Blue that I loved and used for the remainder of my fall league. By the end of my fall league I was improving considerably and had brought my average back up to a 136. I also placed first with my friend in a local tournament in the doubles handicap bracket by throwing my high game and series of that time which was a 221 game and 545 series.

Jump to my summer league I decided to revamp my whole arsenal and move up to 14Ib balls. I loved my DV8 Misfit Orange/Blue so I decided to stick with DV8 and purchased a Diva Pearl, Misfit Red/Orange, and Zombie Spare. I started my summer league with a 155 average and currently have a 160 average. I have also shot my new high game of 242 and high series of 589. With 4 weeks left in summer league I am hoping to hit my first 600 series before the end and complete all the goals I set for summer league which include 150+ average (done), 225+ game (done), and 600 series (in progress).

I also want to mention my oldest son (9) started bowling in a youth league this summer and his team is currently in first place. We recently bought him a new ball for his birthday an 8Ib Columbia 300 Lime/Slime which he threw his first 100+ game and new personal best in league last week with 109.

Well that is my bowling story in a nutshell and hope to meet some great people here.

awesome! welcome to the boards! i love hearing the excited stories of people who just started bowling and have decided to take it seriously, even more so when the kids are involved since they are the future of this sport! good luck on your 600 i can still remember my first 600 and i miss that kind of excitement in my game lol keep practicing, keep improving, it will all come.
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Chats: 32

Glad your joining us you will find a lot of information here and people from beginners to bowlers who have been bowling for 30 years or more.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Welcome to the site!!! If you have any questions, there are a number of people that can help you on here.

Cliff Notes: Kids are awesome and bowling is alive and well in the great state of Tennessee

Welcome to the site. Aslan can show you how to make even longer posts (just kidding with ya).

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    Cliff Notes: Kids are awesome and bowling is alive and well in the great state of Tennessee

Welcome to the site. Aslan can show you how to make even longer posts (just kidding with ya).
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and on the note of Aslan I think I saw a few of his posts already xD.

Glad to have you and your son bowling!

Chats: 0

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Bowling. This is a great forum with lots of fun and good info, and bowling ball.com is also a great place to find stuff you need for your game -- and be sure to take advantage of the "bowlversity" section. Nice to have you here!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Steer Clear of this Person!! LOL

Get ready for some great advice on bowling, despite comments made form a guy named Aslan. You might read his thoughts, and ideas if you have the time, but take it all with a grain of salt! I sometimes think that his treads are almost as painful as back in my high school days, being told to Read the novel War and Peace! (
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Now Michael, you really need to start giving Aslan some credit. Despite his limited experience bowling, he tries harder than anyone else here to push his knowledge of the sport, and not just based on his own belief system like so many of the posters do ("I've always believe this so it must be true."). Sometimes he's right, and sometimes he's wrong, but he's always thinking. In my book, that's a good thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast