Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having thoughts of adding a 3rd ball for league night....

Chats: 0

Default Having thoughts of adding a 3rd ball for league night....

Right now I have the two that are in my signature. I still have thoughts of adding Storm's Lights Out to my arsenal for league nights. I feel that I need a ball that lands in between the Blue Hammer and the Raw Hammer Anger ball. The Blue has a mild hook and the Anger is more like a dive bomber. I figure with the Lights Out I can test with different surfaces to see if I can get it to land somewhere in between the two balls I have now. I just needed something to convince myself to get a new ball.

Anyone else here have these thoughts swimming around in your head? What ball would you like to add for league night?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

I think that you are better off with the Wipe Out than the Lights Out for the simple reason that solids are adaptable to a wider range of surfaces than are hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I think that you are better off with the Wipe Out than the Lights Out for the simple reason that solids are adaptable to a wider range of surfaces than are hybrids.
    I will have to give that some thought. I figure you have more experience with the reaction of different coverstocks then I do. I bowl on THS patterns on league. The house always puts down fresh oil right before we bowl.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    hummmm, all my best games have been with non solid balls, ( on fresh THD house oil) My best series 780, and both perfect games last year were with highly polished balls,,, One symmetrical the IQ pearl butterscotch ...and the other asymmetrical the plugged and redrilled nano pearl!

Maybe to each his own in regards to which TYPE of surface that works for a given individual. I have not PERSONALLY had a lot of luck yet with solids. (((NOT to question your thoughts on surfaces, your the expert))), ,,, , Just know that my best games on HOUSE OIL have all been with pearls. Sports patterns,,, I bet solids would be the ball of choice for most!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

My recommendation of the solid was in response to Hammer's statement that, "I can test with different surfaces to se if I can get it to land somewhere in between the two balls I have now." As far as surface material preferences go, we all have them based on our own style of bowling. Personally I have only one pearl in my arsenal based on the fact that I don't like the over-reaction to friction that I get with them on misses right. I know other bowlers who can't stand solids. There's no right or wrong, just what works for you.

I guess the only way to sort this out is to ask the pro shop guy that is in our house. I will ask him which ball, Wipe Out or Lights Out, would be better for my style of bowling using my approach and my release my speed and rev rate on our house alleys. I will also ask which ball is better suited for surface changes. Using that approach should get me a helpful hint.

It depends on what kind of look you're looking for. As you said theres fresh oil for your league, how many people are in your league? Are you trying to stay in the same area throughout the night as the oil starts to break down? Are you trying to move more to the left? If you can answer these, it'll be more helpful to tell you which ball would be better for that in between ball

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It depends on what kind of look you're looking for. As you said theres fresh oil for your league, how many people are in your league? Are you trying to stay in the same area throughout the night as the oil starts to break down? Are you trying to move more to the left? If you can answer these, it'll be more helpful to tell you which ball would be better for that in between ball
    We have 15 teams with four people on each team. I am left handed so I have no trouble staying in one spot longer. I can play more straight up or if I have to I can play deep which I have with my Anger ball. I just need a ball that will work when my Blue Hammer can't make the corner or the Anger has too much corner to it.

Took a look at a Roto Grip Rumble or Uproar. That will give me three to pick one out of that group. Maybe I should just get all three.

I was thinking of getting an uproar. It really looks like a nice mid range skid flip ball and have seen a lot of guys using it on xtra frame pba events.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast