Thread: Anyone else struggle with this?

Chats: 0

Unhappy Anyone else struggle with this?

I've bowling for 15 years, and I'm not too bad at it. I currently average about 200 in my Saturday league, and I frequently receive praise for my reading of the oil, ability to make adjustments, and my knowledge of what angle and positioning create the best carry. The problem is, my coaches tell me I could average 230+ if I finished on my left foot. I have horrific balance at the foul line, and they tell me that my accuracy is taking a major hit as a result. After reviewing videos of my delivery, I am forced to agree.

My question is, has anyone else had a problem like this? How have you overcome this? Any tips?

Chats: 32

I bowl with a lefty who finishes on his left but he is as smooth as silk with it. I would try to determine what is causing the balance problem and see which is easier to change. You can be balanced bowling wrong footed seen guys who can do it. There's no guarantee that if you switch the feet you will magically be balanced.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

I don't see how a person averaging 200 can have an "accuracy problem".

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    The modern lane conditions can forgive a lot of mistakes.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    The modern lane conditions can forgive a lot of mistakes.
    I guess…damn…I seem to miss by more than 2-3 boards and I can look at a night of 130s-160s. I can't imagine what it'd be like to just rev it up, whip it out there, and average 200.

Chats: 32

The difference between 200 and 230 is one or two strikes or a missed spare a game
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 256

For balance, make sure your center of gravity is positioned over your right knee on approach and then on your left slide knee on delivery. Changing center of gravity for me is what helped with my balance. I got that fixed the last lesson I had with USBC Gold level coach Susie Minshew. Still practicing with it, and almost there to where I don't fall off my shot like I used to.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Banned
    Chats: 68

I guess…damn…I seem to miss by more than 2-3 boards and I can look at a night of 130s-160s. I can't imagine what it'd be like to just rev it up, whip it out there, and average 200.
    As you "Rev it up" you need to be more consistent with the speed.

BTW missing 2-3 boards is HUGE.

If I miss 2 boards right, I'm in the gutter.

Last night I had one go from 15 thru the arrows, hang on the 1/2 board, and still make it back for a light pocket strike.