Thread: New member in Kansas

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default New member in Kansas

Well I've been creeping around checking out post for a while now so I thought I'd introduce myself. I started bowling back in the early 90's and loved to just bowl causally. Then I broke my back and was unable to do much of anything for years. I then got married and had three wonderful kids. In feb. 2013 I almost lost my wife to a pulmonary embolism which caused her a brain injury from lack of oxygen. She spent 2 months on life support before pulling through. She now has no short term memory but has learned to walk and get by after a year of very hard work.
    About the time we almost lost my wife my girls both had just joined the high school bowling team. They were very helpful with my girls during the time when I could not be there for them. Since then I have been trying to get back into bowling and support them. Now my son will be a freshman next year and plans to join the team also just as the girls are Seniors planning their future at collage.
    I got talked into the summer adult/youth league and bowling with my kids every week. I'm not back to my 90's average but I'm creeping back up to about 180-190 avg. It's amazing how much balls have changed since the 90's. I still use my Ebonite "the one" and picked up a DV8 "Endless nightmare" a year ago, but the DV8 I can only throw on well oiled lanes or it hooks way to early.
    Our house has been horrible this summer as their A/C has been broken and it's in the upper 80's in there. They are only open 4 days a week during the summer and only seem to oil once a week. And when they do oil it brakes down really fast in the heat. I wish I was able to financially travel to a better house, but med bills prevent that.
    I read a lot of post here on the forums and try to pick up on things posted to better improve my game with hopes that my occasional 200+ games turns into a 200+ series.

Hey there I am also new to the boards and just wanted to say keep at it. Your story sounds like one where you have been on one hell of a rough ride and I admire your strength to continue on. My kids are also my light when it comes to bowling keeping me moving forward and enjoying watching them progress also.

Quite a story! I'm getting back into bowling after not being on the lanes since the '80s. A bit overwhelming, but a blast!!!
    Welcome to the forum!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by rv driver View Post
    Quite a story! I'm getting back into bowling after not being on the lanes since the '80s. A bit overwhelming, but a blast!!!
    Welcome to the forum!
    Welcome I was away from bowling for about 20 years and came back last fall. It always good to see people keeping their head up through everything life dishes out. Keep it up.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Welcome, there are many passionate bowlers with good info on this site.

What is Bowling?

Thanks everyone, now if I can convince the local alley to fix their A/C that has been broken all summer. That's the only hold back to this place. It's 85-90f in there on league night and kind of turns a person off to coming in after work to practice when it's that hot in there. The other problem is they only oil once a week before league and by the second game it has broke down due to poor oil? or the heat? or just the way they oil?