My Hy-Road Solid Layout: 60 degrees x 4" x 65 degrees or 4" x 4 15/16" x 3 1/2"

The Storm Hy-Road Solid completes the Hy-Road family. The original Hy-Road has been on the market now for over 5 years and Storm recently flanked the hybrid-covered ball with a pearl version. Now Storm has introduced a solid version. There's a Hy-Road for everyone and every style.

I'll admit that the original Hy-Road was never a ball I matched up with. Pretty frustrating given the amount of people who love it and have had tremendous success with it. But not everyone matches up with every ball. However, I really like both the pearl and solid versions.

The pin down layout I chose for my Hy-Road Solid gives me a quick rolling ball that handles the midlane very well without sacrificing backend continuation. It may very well be the most arcing ball I have in my bag at the moment. To get an idea what I mean, watch the line in the comparison portion of my Pitch Black video when used on 32', a smooth arc, even on the shortest of patterns.

Conditions I have used the Hy-Road Solid on: 32' Wolf, 35' Kegel Boardwalk, 42' Kegel Autobahn, 41' Kegel Turnpike and 37' Kegel Broadway. The Hy-Road solid is a ball I can keep in play very easily and use on a variety of patterns. I don't think the Hy-Road is the best ball for me to start with if I were bowling on Wolf but I could definitely use it there and have been able to use it on the fresh on a 42' sport pattern. I'd say it's pretty versatile ball and is definitely my current benchmark ball.

Where the Hy-Road Solid fits in my bag: Like I said above, the Hy-Road Solid is my current benchmark ball. Released alongside the Optimus, the Hy-Road solid is cleaner through the front and smoother downlane than the Optimus. It's a step up from my Hy-Road Pearl and a step down from my Marvel-S or Optimus.

When I use the Hy-Road Solid: I will use the Hy-Road Solid early in practice to get a clear idea of what the lanes are doing and adjust from there. Its versatility allows me to throw it on almost any shot, at least early on in a block.