Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: why isn't bowling considered a sport by some?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneshu87 View Post
    and i do believed they took curling out of the Olympics... i think any way not sure i'll research that one lol
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling

nope it's still there
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

you are right the big factors behind the existence and continuation of bowling are the big companies and their cash registers. but even in a building like a sky scraper, you need the bottom bricks to be in the right place and in good condition in order to support the weight. we as bowlers who love this sport are 100% responsible for it's decline and hopefully future increase. why? because WE are the ones who put money in the cash registers, and it is our responsibility as lovers of the sport to promote it as third party credibility, which is the most accepted form of credibility. we need to stand up and save our sport, what would pay the houses more? more bowlers or more alcohol sales? and i do believed they took curling out of the Olympics... i think any way not sure i'll research that one lol
    nope, was watching curling at Soschi winter Olympics while having a beer at the bowling alley

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    If you can drink beer while playing then it isn't a sport
    Actually not true. Bowling and Golf are far more of a "sport" than Nascar and Horse Racing.

I think what makes it a sport or not is:
    1) Is it more the athlete or the equipment?
    Soccer = sport...a ball is a ball. Nascar does NOT equal a sport because the win/loss is much more reliant on the car working and not the driver's ability to not turn to sharply.

Bowling needs to be careful that it doesn't make it so easy (lane conditions and equipment) that it becomes more dependent on equipment than the bowler. Paintball is a good example of a sport that "almost" was a sport...but it's just too equipment dependent to differentiate between the players.

2) It must require physical (not just mental or skill) activity.
    Poker is NOT a sport. Video Games are NOT sports. Bowling and Golf and Darts and Billiards....sort of gray area. Football/basketball/hockey/etc... = sports.

And thats where bowling is in a "gray area"...as the OP eluded to...not ALL of bowling's elite are necessarily athletic in appearance. Sports should also make you "sweat"...bowling doesn't really do that unless the air conditioning is out (or you are Aslan and bowl 10-12 games in 2-2.5 hours).
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    If you can drink beer while playing then it isn't a sport
    Plenty of people drink beer while playing golf and softball. I haven't heard anyone say those aren't sports!

Chats: 32

This is a stupid argument you are competing against others in a competition that involves skill = Sport. There are different levels of competition and they have different rules on the acceptability of drinking during the competition.

Recreational bowling- drinking is fine.

League Bowling- it varies. I currently bowl a family twosome league not appropriate. Tuesday Night 4 man squad league is very serious I wouldn't drink most don't a few do. Friday night random team league is all about fun and meeting people have no problem with it.

Tournaments- The ones I have attended I haven't seen anyone drinking while bowling some afterwards

PBA- Wouldn't be acceptable.

Bowling is as much a sport as pickup basketball, sandlot baseball/softball, or football.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    This is a stupid argument you are competing against others in a competition that involves skill = Sport. There are different levels of competition and they have different rules on the acceptability of drinking during the competition.

Recreational bowling- drinking is fine.

League Bowling- it varies. I currently bowl a family twosome league not appropriate. Tuesday Night 4 man squad league is very serious I wouldn't drink most don't a few do. Friday night random team league is all about fun and meeting people have no problem with it.

Tournaments- The ones I have attended I haven't seen anyone drinking while bowling some afterwards

PBA- Wouldn't be acceptable.

Bowling is as much a sport as pickup basketball, sandlot baseball/softball, or football.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

bowling is a sport, and i believe it should be treated as such, yes i understand you don't see drinking in tournaments and PBA, but only serious bowlers/family of participants, watch them. this is where recreation vs professional argument comes into play, bowling is seen as a joke to most non-bowlers, ever played in a recreation basketball league? talk about serious! they are not sanctioned, yet abide by every rule of the NBA, are not recognized by anyone except those playing in that particular league, yet is is still considered a sport since it's basketball.

bowling requires physical skill, and mental skill, both must be equally balanced, and by physical i don't mean physical strength or toughness. therefore bowling is a sport, this is not a stupid argument, but a small piece of the main argument that is "Save Bowling" we all bowl because we enjoy it. and in order to continue bowling the way we know and love then we will have to make changes as bowlers, i'm not saying a total upheaval, but these are some definite areas that need addressed.
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Simple but cold truth..Bowling is a dwindling sport....The reasons why r so multifaceted that us as bowlers are pieces of huge jigsaw puzzle. Alcohol doesn't even enter in to the equation. It involves the ENTIRE industry. don't miss the forest for the trees. Bowlers, proprietors, ceo's, media, political and economics, ball and product manufacturers, professional level, cultural flavor, education,youth etc etc..yes its the most participative sport in the country yet its downhill. back in the day old timers will tell u that bowling was bigger than 4 major sports today. in fact Carter is the first guy to get the top dollar endorsement. we r all speaking from the heart cuz we love it. Soccer is the #1 sport in the world but not here. u don't think those experts r scratching their heads as to why....

I am currently in training for a real sport competetive eating by this time next century I will be the champion of the galatic federation of carbon based planets

Chats: 32

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

bowling is a sport, and i believe it should be treated as such, yes i understand you don't see drinking in tournaments and PBA, but only serious bowlers/family of participants, watch them. this is where recreation vs professional argument comes into play, bowling is seen as a joke to most non-bowlers, ever played in a recreation basketball league? talk about serious! they are not sanctioned, yet abide by every rule of the NBA, are not recognized by anyone except those playing in that particular league, yet is is still considered a sport since it's basketball.

bowling requires physical skill, and mental skill, both must be equally balanced, and by physical i don't mean physical strength or toughness. therefore bowling is a sport, this is not a stupid argument, but a small piece of the main argument that is "Save Bowling" we all bowl because we enjoy it. and in order to continue bowling the way we know and love then we will have to make changes as bowlers, i'm not saying a total upheaval, but these are some definite areas that need addressed.
    I get what you are saying the wonderful thing about bowling is it's inclusiveness. I'm sure you could find leagues in your area that are more competitively oriented and feature less drinking. Like I mentioned my Tuesday night league. I'm not much of a drinker and usually don't during bowling more because I don't want my hands wet than because of any effect of the alcohol(at my size it takes a lot of beer to have an effect).

I believe the decline in bowling has more to do with the shrinking middle class and the time constraints imposed on us by the modern connected lifestyle than drinking, sport, equipment, or any other reason. Unfortunately I don't see a solution to those problems.

The stupid part that I mentioned above was intended at the sport vs game argument. If a game requires competition,skill both physical and mental it's a sport.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 0

The answer: Put bowling in the Olympics. That will rubber-stamp the legitimacy of bowling as a sport. I mean, we have target shooting as an Olympic sport, for Pete's sake! Why not bowling? Plus, Olympic publicity will do a lot for the popularity of the sport. Every kid will want to get serious about bowling, because bowling is so approachable for the average person.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast