Thread: Video Capture Tips for Bowling Analysis Videos

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Video Capture Tips for Bowling Analysis Videos

1. Post videos in real time so we can see your true tempo and cadence.
    2. Use the cameras highest Frame Per Second (FPS) setting, this helps avoid motion blur and gives you better slow motion playback.
      - Most video cameras shoot at 30fps (30 fps is the minimum you should use), your video should be exported at the same rate.
    3. When posting online don't make the video too small or use too much compression as this will cause a loss of detail.
    4. View #1: Directly Behind, Full Body
      -Setup the camera directly behind your ball side arm, at a height of about 5' - 6' (when possible)
      -Zoom out or move the camera back far enough to show you from head to toe at the beginning of your approach
    5. View #2: Side View, Full Body
      - Setup the camera a couple of lanes away, on your ball side
      - Zoom out or move the camera far enough away that you can see your entire approach from start to finish
      - If you can't get the camera far enough away, you can have a friend pan the camera to follow you during your approach
    6. Optional View: Directly Behind, Zoomed Into Release
      - This view can help determine what is happening right at the point of release
      - This view can also help when determining Axis Tilt, Axis Rotation, and Rev Rate
      - For calculating Rev's place a long piece of tape from your P.A.P. to above your fingers.
    7. If your a right-handed bowler you should be videotaped on an even numbered lane and a left-handed bowler on an odd-numbered lane in order to keep the ball return from getting in the way of the camera.

Example Views:
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-02-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Dick Ritger's Video Tips:

Dick Ritger's Video Tips:
    (This is a old article, So where needed update any video media & equipment references to digital media & equipment)

One of the most effective methods of helping you become a better bowler is with the aid of videotape. It doesn’t take long and the results can be beneficial in many ways.

You will need:
    · Camcorder
    · Video tape
    · Piece of bowler’s tape
    · A friend to do the taping
    · VCR to replay your bowling
    (a 4-head machine works best to replay in slow motion and stop action)

When taking the pictures there are two views that are easy to take and provide excellent vantage points. That would be from the ball side (right-handed bowler should bowl on the even lane…left-handed bowler on the odd lane). This way you don’t lose your feet behind the ball return.

Some instructors like the front view, but unless you stand on the lane…very dangerous; you can’t get a head on view anyway.

Take four or five video shots from the side making sure to get the entire body all the way to the foul line. Position the cameraperson near the foul line a few lanes away for best results. A few shots of upper body and lower body from the side might also be helpful.

When you finish from the ball side it is time to move behind the bowler for the view from the back. From this angle you should also take four of five shots of the entire body from first step to last…keeping the entire body in the picture frame. Then, do a few of just the feet and a few of the upper body as well.

The next angle to take includes the release, and this can be taken from behind also.

To do this, first put your piece of bowler’s tape on the ball. This will show the exact position of the fingers during the swing and particularly at the release point. Place the tape an inch in front of the finger holes (if someone had their name put on the ball it would usually go in the same place). Place the tape vertically not horizontally as a name might be placed on the ball.

During your filming from behind, use the zoom lens to catch the ball as it passes the ankle and is released on the lane. You will be amazed at how clear the tape is and how easy it is to see what your fingers are doing through the release area.

Now you are ready for your last angle. That would be one from behind and a little off to the ball side of the bowler. Here, you will follow the bowler to the line with the zoom lens and catch the ball as it is released and follow it down the lane. From this angle you can see the revolutions (again the tape helps here) on the ball, the target on the lane that it was delivered over, the ball entering the pocket and the pin carry. Note: For this shot you may have to retake the shot several times until the bowler makes a shot that he/she wants to view.

When you have finished make sure to date the tape and store it for easy access. You should re-tape every couple of months, or when the need arises. I recommend that you tape yourself…when you are bowling great…when you are struggling…and when you are making a change in your game and want to be sure you are making headway.

Video taping is an inexpensive and effective method to keep your game sharp and move forward in your skill development.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-31-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I like DR old VHS videos!!! Great stuff.

Mark baker Side view method is a better way to get the full approach from the side. Basically the camera person stands two lanes away on the foul line and follows the bowlers approach till the post position.

The Iphone with its slow motion feature and the new bowling app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trac...3532?ls=1&mt=8 are great tools.

I forward my videos to my coaches when need, but mostly, I could recognize parts of my game that's off or on. But, I still seek help from coaches...

Chats: 0

I just downloaded an app for capturing video for analysis. It is called Hudl Technique (on iphone). I plan on using it this week during practice. Supposedly you can draw on the video to add and assess angles (example: checking to see if you keep your back at a 45 degrees through your approach). Also, you are supposedly able to do side by side analysis, upload a pro for a comparison, and share videos with your group, coach, or community. Has anyone used this app? I would love to hear some feedback and or tips on its use. Thanks!