The Storm Optimus was released in July 2014 and has generated a lot of static because of the name and the eye catching colors and motion. The Optimus is super clean through the front with a drastic motion on the backend. The R2X Pearl Reactive Shell provides the length and the Tri-Sphere Core generates the strength and the combination of the two provides a different motion that was missing in the Master Line.

The layout that I used for the Optimus is a favorite of mine pin below fingers with the cg down and kicked out with an x-hole on my VAL or 55 X 5 ½ X 75. My coordinates are as follows: PAP is 5 5/8 over and ¾ up, Rev Rate around 300, Ball Speed is around 15mph, more up the back of the ball release and I am right handed. I used the Optimus on various patterns and tested it against a Fusion, Just because I do not have a Marvel Pearl.

The first thing that I noticed was how clean the Optimus was through the heads, easily a couple feet longer than the Fusion. That is either a benefit or an issue. On the longer patterns (42ft and 44ft), the Optimus wanted to push way too much early and if I squared up it jumped at the break point compared to the Fusion. However, when the carry down occurred and a dry spot was generated the Optimus made the pattern look easy. The medium patterns (38ft to 40ft), the Optimus was pretty good from start to finish. The backend motion was a touch strong with the box finish/polish so a hit the cover with a 2000 pad and smoothed the reaction out enough. The Optimus’ backend motion is stronger than the fusion but being a straighter player that might not always be good. T times, I had some wet dry problems. Finally on the shorter patterns (33ft and 35ft), both balls were just too much at the break point and I had to open up my angles a lot. However, The Optimus was in play as soon as I was able to move left and throw it right. The recovery of the Optimus was scary good and motion through the pins was fantastic! If you are looking for that strong ball that gets down the lane and turns over this is your ball.

Dan Schaden Jr
Storm / RotoGrip Staff
Vise Grip Staff