Chats: 0

Default Storm Optimus review by Staffer Garrett Richardson

Hand: Left
    Ball Speed: 16-17mph
    Ball Weight: 15lbs
    PAP: 5 left 7/16 up
    Degrees of Tilt: 17
    Layout: 3 ¾ x 5 7/8 x 2 ½

The Optimus not only has a cool color scheme but has the best name out there (me being a huge transformers fan). The Optimus is pin to the left side of the ring finger and cg out with no hole. The optimus is the newer version of the Marvel pearl with a whole new completely different weight block that looks asymmetrical but it is symmetric and with an oldie but a goody R2X cover stock you can't go wrong.

With the out of box finish of 1500 polished I get great length with a hard back end that I did not expect like a lot of the other balls like it in the master line. I did not have a Marvel pearl to compare with it currently but from what I remember with the Marvel pearl the Optimus is stronger and I believe I would have to stand further right because of that. Also with the IQ tour pearl I did not have one to compare but from when I had one the Optimus is way stronger by at least 4 boards in my eyes. With the Optimus being strong on the back end I used a 3000 pad to knock off the shine and tame the back end down just a little bit and it did the trick. I can stand a little more left when I need to but still stand right also and can play the inside where the oil which makes it even more versatile. I have started liking more of the smoother reactions but I am also not a fan of not changing a balls personality completely because what ever the ball is meant to be for or do that is what it should be for. But with the Optimus I still get the back end as if it was polished it is just a little calmer.

On a house shot I have a long and controllable reaction standing around 20 to 23 and once the shot dries up I can actually move left to about 15 or so and can go up the boards where there is more oil and not give the pocket up too much or standing too far right and swinging and potentially leaving corners or wash outs. On sport patterns the best reaction I have seen was on like PBA Bear or patterns around 40 ft or less. With my speed I can get away with it compared to anything longer than 40 ft the ball tends to slide too long and cannot recover.

If you have a marvel pearl and need something a little stronger to fill that gap or for people who even have the IQ tour pearl and need that extra recovery on more oil the Optimus will be a great choice

If you have any questions about the Optimus email me at garrett.richardson@pinolebowlerssupply.com

Garrett Richardson
    Storm/Roto Grip Pro Shop Staff
    Vise Inserts Amateur Staff
    Pinole Bowler’s Supply
    www.facebook.com/grstorm
    www.facebook.com/pinolebowlerssupply
    www.stormbowling.com
    www.rotogrip.com
    www.viseinserts.com

Chats: 10

Love my Optimus!

Optimus review by Storm staffer Tony Marino

I drilled the Optimus, with a 4.5" pin and a 2 1/4" pin buffer (Pin above ring finger). The Dual Angle numbers on this layout are 45° x 4 1/2 x 35° with a P2 weight hole, which is slightly under my PAP.

It took me a few games (and a few tournaments) to really figure out the strengths and weaknesses of this ball. I have thrown my Optimus on a few 3:1 ratio sport patterns as well as several different modified house patterns. From the beginning I was impressed with how clean the R2X pearl cover was. It is noticeably cleaner than the IQ Tour Fusion (R2S Hybrid cover), but never got “sideways” the way I expect pearl balls to roll for me. The new Tri-Sphere core truly makes the Optimus a unique rolling pearl ball that was missing in my arsenal. It makes a strong, almost arcing, move down lane, but doesn’t overreact off the dry. The best way for me to describe it is that it rolls like a strong even motion ball (I.E. Zero Gravity), but it doesn’t pick up the front part of the lanes nearly as quick.

This ball has earned a spot in my bag for every tournament and league night! The Optimus is a great fit if you love the Zero Gravity, but need a ball doesn’t read the lanes as quickly. I also see this ball being great for high rev players that want a stronger ball that will “clear the front,” and won't overreact on the backend.