Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With Brunswick getting out ...(Misterk)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    Interesting you mention, I am (was?) in a Men's league that recently had to amend their rules saying that it was men-only. I guess by USBC rules or anti-discrimination lawsuits or something they can't allow only one gender leagues - and it goes both ways.

Just thinking that maybe this is what that first house meant by no sanctioned leagues for all males. Kind of nitpicky but good timing that it came up in our league meeting the other day and I noticed this post
    Around here, nearly every league REQUIRES that you have to have at least 1 female bowler. There are 3-4 that are "open" and don't have that requirement. But you are correct, there are no "all men" leagues that I know of that restrict women. However...a common theme if you're white and middle aged...there are MANY leagues that are restricted to "women only"...especially during the daytime and on weekends. Go figure.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 172; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 55

We still have men's leagues around here.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

i'm in a Full mens league as well, however due to a decline in female participation i see the all womens league getting shut down soon enough and our "men's" league will become an open league, it has already been discussed in our meetings
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

I think they can call it a men's league, but if a woman wants to join they can't legally say no. Same goes for a man wanting to join a women's league. Chances are, that won't happen either way but its just more PC stuff.

Chats: 204

Back in the day mixed leagues were less common...but they had a lot of mixed doubles...or two couples pairing up for 4-person teams.

But now, around here...nearly EVERY league is not only mixed (which is great) but it's mandatory to have at least 1 man or 1 woman. And for complete dorks like me and my co-workers...we don't have a giant network of females chomping at the bit to hang out with us once a week. And with the current PC environment...I'm getting too close to "sexual harrassment" by even asking the gals that work here if they'd like to bowl with us....which they don't.

The good news is...if you have ONE gal...and FOUR guys...there are leagues every single weeknight at every single center around me. But if you drop down to FOUR people...and at least ONE isn't female...there's 1-2 tops. Same thing with FIVE ALL GUYS...literally like 1 league for 5 people w/o a female.

I asked a gal I know who used to bowl...but she doesn't want to commit to 32-37 weeks of bowling. I could ask Bunny, but she's getting her surgery and she is usually hesitant about long running leagues that are $20+ a week. Especially if it's her AND the hubby...now thats $40+ a week!

I was hoping to meet some gals when I did tournaments...and I cam across a couple decent female bowlers that were pleasant...but one is a sub I know that is already in 2 leagues and barely can afford that...and the other is from way on the other side of Orange County and also already in 2 leagues.

I understand "why" centers try to encourage at least 1 female bowler:

1) It's a way to make teams try and recruit a female into bowling...otherwise the female bowler numbers will continue to dwindle.
    2) It keeps from having teams with competitive advantages showing up with 5 above average male bowlers and putting teams with one new female bowler at an extreme disadvantage....which would then disuade teams from having a female bowler on their roster.

On the one hand...you wouldn't think in a high handicap league that it would matter much. And I've seen more than a few female bowlers that are pretty damn good and can outscore me on as many nights as not. On the other hand...our team is in 2nd and the team ahead of us (in 1st)...we both are all male teams. Coincidence? Probably. But some would say there are no such things as coincidences.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 172; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 0

What is wrong with an all men or all women league anyway? This country is drowning in political correctness. Everybody is afraid to hurt someones feelings. And you know that there will always be that person that will have to force their way into something that they don't like
    the way it is setup if it don't include them. I guess everything has to be mixed with men and women combined. Hey how about a Mister and Miss America combined with men and women? The women will wear bikinis and the guys will wear speedos.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12