Thread: Optimus review by Tommy Gollick

Default Optimus review by Tommy Gollick

The Optimus is the latest ball in the Master line of Storm products. The Optimus has the R2X pearl cover wrapped around a new weight block called Tri-Sphere. The unusual shape of this core has an Rg of 2.48 and a differential of 0.048 in 15lb balls. The Optimus is red, white and blue, and smells like berries and cream.
    I drilled my Optimus 5x5x2. This is the same layout that I have on the comp ball, the Marvel pearl. The Optimus reads the front of the lane almost identically to the Marvel pearl. The middle of the lane is where you start seeing a difference between the two balls. The Optimus rolls about one to two feet longer than the Marvel pearl, and has a more defined change of direction on the backend. The overall board coverage of the Optimus and the Marvel pearl is about the same, but the later move and stronger change of direction from the Optimus, helps this ball have a steeper entry angle into the pocket. The difference of the Optimus and the Marvel pearl is slight on house conditions, but really shows through on flatter sport patterns. The more defined shape is better for me when I bowl on tougher patterns, because I can go straighter to my hook spot with the Optimus, compared to the Marvel pearl. Because of my softer ball speed, I have to give the Marvel pearl a little more head belly, thus throwing it away from the pattern, and this can sometimes get me in trouble when I really want to keep my angles in front of me as much as possible, on flatter patterns. As successful as the Marvel pearl has been so far, I feel the Optimus has potential to be even better.
    The Optimus will be a fit for most styles of bowlers, who would be looking for a ball for medium to medium heavy lane conditions, and some heavy oil patterns. To be more specific, speed dominate players would be able to use the Optimus on medium conditions and some medium heavy conditions with the addition of a little surface to the cover. High rev players will like the Optimus on medium heavy conditions, as well as have good success on heavier oiled lanes with the addition of a little surface to the cover. If you see only dry lane conditions, I would suggest trying a different ball other than the Optimus.
    The Optimus is a great addition to the already stellar line up that Storm has to offer. As technology evolves with everything, the Optimus is the evolution of a strong pearl bowling ball. See your local VIP pro shop today and optimize your striking potential with the new Storm Optimus.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by tommygn View Post
    The Optimus is the latest ball in the Master line of Storm products. The Optimus has the R2X pearl cover wrapped around a new weight block called Tri-Sphere. The unusual shape of this core has an Rg of 2.48 and a differential of 0.048 in 15lb balls. The Optimus is red, white and blue, and smells like berries and cream.
    I drilled my Optimus 5x5x2. This is the same layout that I have on the comp ball, the Marvel pearl. The Optimus reads the front of the lane almost identically to the Marvel pearl. The middle of the lane is where you start seeing a difference between the two balls. The Optimus rolls about one to two feet longer than the Marvel pearl, and has a more defined change of direction on the backend. The overall board coverage of the Optimus and the Marvel pearl is about the same, but the later move and stronger change of direction from the Optimus, helps this ball have a steeper entry angle into the pocket. The difference of the Optimus and the Marvel pearl is slight on house conditions, but really shows through on flatter sport patterns. The more defined shape is better for me when I bowl on tougher patterns, because I can go straighter to my hook spot with the Optimus, compared to the Marvel pearl. Because of my softer ball speed, I have to give the Marvel pearl a little more head belly, thus throwing it away from the pattern, and this can sometimes get me in trouble when I really want to keep my angles in front of me as much as possible, on flatter patterns. As successful as the Marvel pearl has been so far, I feel the Optimus has potential to be even better.
    The Optimus will be a fit for most styles of bowlers, who would be looking for a ball for medium to medium heavy lane conditions, and some heavy oil patterns. To be more specific, speed dominate players would be able to use the Optimus on medium conditions and some medium heavy conditions with the addition of a little surface to the cover. High rev players will like the Optimus on medium heavy conditions, as well as have good success on heavier oiled lanes with the addition of a little surface to the cover. If you see only dry lane conditions, I would suggest trying a different ball other than the Optimus.
    The Optimus is a great addition to the already stellar line up that Storm has to offer. As technology evolves with everything, the Optimus is the evolution of a strong pearl bowling ball. See your local VIP pro shop today and optimize your striking potential with the new Storm Optimus.

The driller at the new lanes I bowl now, (Gladstone Bowl), was drilling one of these puppies up Tuesday afternoon for himself. Looking forward to his impressions on the balls performance!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Curious to know his impressions of this ball.