Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arm swing help

Chats: 0

Default Arm swing help

During a lesson I was told that I muscle the ball instead of letting the ball to the work and having my arm act like a free swinging pendulum. So I've been practicing this but I'm having trouble keeping my hand cupped and behind the ball. When I loosen my arm and go I to my backswing my wrist seems to loosen aswel. How do I tech myself to loosen my arm, while keeping my wrist position strong?

hmmm thats a tough one, it is just something that comes with practice i guess, maybe try a wrist brace.
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneshu87 View Post
    hmmm thats a tough one, it is just something that comes with practice i guess, maybe try a wrist brace.
    That's something I wanted to avoid. I don't want to become dependent on the brace.

yeah i hear ya, i'm a big guy and have always tried to muscle the ball, until this year when i joined a pba experience league lol that taught my how to slow down, my best advice is dont bring the ball back as far on your back swing, the only muscle you need to use is to push it out then let gravity drop the ball and in to your back swing.
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Yeah when I bring mine up too high it messes with the wrist action which in turn messes up the release. Stay a little lower in your backswing and see if that helps.

Wouldn't stopping the ball in my backswing kind of defeat the natural swing/pendulum action tho?

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    Wouldn't stopping the ball in my backswing kind of defeat the natural swing/pendulum action tho?
    yes/no it just depends on how high you are comfortable with on your back swing, you don't have to jack your arm sky high and power through, i personally bring my arm about shoulder level and sometime even less depending on what shot i'm on, your back swing can really dictate your ball speed, and just like in most things speed and control dont always go hand in hand

I am so much more accurate when I keep my ball lower in my stance and approach. It may sound funny, but when I try to bring my ball back further I lose accuracy AND speed.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    I am so much more accurate when I keep my ball lower in my stance and approach. It may sound funny, but when I try to bring my ball back further I lose accuracy AND speed.
    If your trying to bring your arm back farther you are adding muscle any time you add muscle to the swing accuracy will generally decline.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Okay, two things:

1. More often than not a muscled armswing is the result of late timing. When your foot gets to the foul line in front of the ball, the tendency is to pull the ball forward to help it to catch up. How do you do that? By muscling the ball. Have someone check your timing. The slide foot and the ball should reach the foul line at the same time.

2. Keeping a firm wrist is very old school. Watch virtually all of the top pros today and you will see the wrist start loaded (cupped), unload at the top of the back swing, and reload at the point of release. Check out some video of Michael Fagan to see what I'm talking about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast