Thread: experimenting with a new drill

Default experimenting with a new drill

as some of you know i posted about finger and knuckle pain about a month ago, well i have lost the pain in my first knuckle to only have it show up in my main knuckle on my ring finger, my ability to stay behind the ball has suffered as well as my rev rate. so in conversation with a friend he told me of a gentleman that bowled in his last season that lost his ring finger mid season (cut off by chain saw) after a month of healing he came back using hi pointer finger and middle finger and raised his average of 218 to 221 by the end of the season. so this will be my experiment, i am having the finger hole moved on my deadly aim since my pointer finger is almost half a knuckle shorter than my middle. if this proves successful i will move all of my equipment to this layout. anyone ever seen another bowl this way?
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Chats: 0

That's an interesting thought. I hope some of the gurus here will answer, because it will be interesting to see how the ergonomics work out. Seems like you'd be able to get to the inside of the ball better with a little more palm to hold the weight. I wonder, though, if the shorter index finger will actually put less rotation on the ball?

Chats: 32

Shaneshu87 Have you talked to a doctor about this and your pro shop guy? This seems a little extreme to me. I would definitely experiment with multiple different pitches and spans before making that big of change.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneshu87 View Post
    as some of you know i posted about finger and knuckle pain about a month ago, well i have lost the pain in my first knuckle to only have it show up in my main knuckle on my ring finger, my ability to stay behind the ball has suffered as well as my rev rate. so in conversation with a friend he told me of a gentleman that bowled in his last season that lost his ring finger mid season (cut off by chain saw) after a month of healing he came back using hi pointer finger and middle finger and raised his average of 218 to 221 by the end of the season. so this will be my experiment, i am having the finger hole moved on my deadly aim since my pointer finger is almost half a knuckle shorter than my middle. if this proves successful i will move all of my equipment to this layout. anyone ever seen another bowl this way?
    I remember reading somewhere that a few pros did that or a variation a long, long time ago. I think the grip with index and middle fingers was called a claw grip. The ones I do know using that was Billy Hardwick. Probably heard that from a telecast. I do remember Steve Fehr and Dana Miller Mackie used a grip where the pinky was inserted along with middle and ring fingers....
    Last edited by Beagle; 08-28-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Shaneshu87 Have you talked to a doctor about this and your pro shop guy? This seems a little extreme to me. I would definitely experiment with multiple different pitches and spans before making that big of change.
    i have talked to my pro shop guy and he said after everything we've tried already, other than switch to sarge easter, this is another option that shouldn't cut my revs. and unfortunately i'm an illegal (with no insurance, I AM A US CITIZEN) so i have not gone to the doctor.
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneshu87 View Post
    i have talked to my pro shop guy and he said after everything we've tried already, other than switch to sarge easter, this is another option that shouldn't cut my revs. and unfortunately i'm an illegal (with no insurance, I AM A US CITIZEN) so i have not gone to the doctor.
    Believe me I understand that you can only do what you can do. I haven't seen anyone throwing that kind of grip in years. I lead with my index finger and kind of rest the ball on it so I don't think I could do it. I hope it works out well for you.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Believe me I understand that you can only do what you can do. I haven't seen anyone throwing that kind of grip in years. I lead with my index finger and kind of rest the ball on it so I don't think I could do it. I hope it works out well for you.
    thanks i have already experimented with it already but my span is to long for my pointer finger, i feel like i have more hand potential, as soon as i fix the span that is. time will tell and a full report will come this weekend hopefully

Chats: 10

I remember I used to bowl like that when I bowled as a kid here and there. It would be interesting to try the next time I practice.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com